Senate approves tax break for new car buyers

I'm sure that will be a great help with near 0% interest loans..................

Not only that, the bill undoubtedly has a sunset, therefore whatever interest deductions there are now, may not be there next year or the year after.

It can be just as easily removed just like the credit card interest deduction was in the '80s.

The cash rebate (in lieu of the 0% interest) is usually the better deal regardless. I guess it's sweeter now.

Good to hear. Just bought a new one last Saturday. :happy feet:

However, if I would have known this was coming, I wouldn't have taken the Ford Credit 0% financing, and took the bigger cash rebate.

Oh well.

Actually, Pioneer, here's the way I read it. It would depend on several factors such as total amount financed at 0%, length of loan, your tax bracket, etc. The deduction is "above-the-line" so the net benefit is proportional to your tax bracket. Also, it's embedded in the stimulus bill. So, who knows what it will look like when it's final? :finger:

Don't know if my comment helps any.

Remember, in MI at least, cash rebates are taxed just like everything else. I leased three new Fords in a row and had to pay sales tax on every rebate I got, and the rebates were in the thousands of dollars. So making sales tax deductible will help. The sales tax on a $30,000 vehicle is considerable and then you get nailed on the rebates also. State budgets are getting killed by the low new vehicle sales big time.

This is really a great time to buy a new vehicle, and too bad that when sales pick up the prices will be higher. Now is the time to buy just like now is the time to buy good, quality stocks at a very discounted price. For exaample, a buddy of mine just bought a new 2009 Focus SE. The vehicle stickered for about $17,000 and has Sync. He got it out the door including tax for $11,000 and some change. Used two year old Focuses are priced higher than that. He got it on Z plan but even anyone could have gotten that vehicle for about $800 more. I would imagine you could get a new Fusion SE for about $14,000 after rebates and deals.

"...Mikulski's office put the cost of the tax break she sponsored at $11 billion for one year. It would apply to the first $49,500 in the price of a new car purchased between last Nov. 12 and Dec. 31, 2009. Individuals with incomes of up to $125,000 and couples earnings as much as $250,000 could qualify, including those who do not itemize their deductions... "

Why the income limit? :banghead:

It cuts a lot of people out of the deal. :finger:

How is that fair? :redcard:

Damn underachievers get all the breaks. :hysterical:

"...Mikulski's office put the cost of the tax break she sponsored at $11 billion for one year. It would apply to the first $49,500 in the price of a new car purchased between last Nov. 12 and Dec. 31, 2009. Individuals with incomes of up to $125,000 and couples earnings as much as $250,000 could qualify, including those who do not itemize their deductions... "

Good ol' Babs Mikulski. :rolleyes:

Poor ole Rick Wagoners of this world have had their pay capped at $500,000 max as well by Obama, Rick won't qualify he might have to downsize without the cheap finance to a Chevy Daewoo Matiz. Now he to can feel the pain & experience what its like to drive one of his crap Korean junk cars GM Chevy force on average Joe to drive in Europe.

Good news hopefully car sales will pick up, l can't see Warren Buffet selling his old Lincoln Town Car as tempting as the cheap finance is to him.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

Poor ole Rick Wagoners of this world have had their pay capped at $500,000 max as well by Obama, Rick won't qualify he might have to downsize without the cheap finance to a Chevy Daewoo Matiz. Now he to can feel the pain & experience what its like to drive one of his crap Korean junk cars GM Chevy force on average Joe to drive in Europe.

Good news hopefully car sales will pick up, l can't see Warren Buffet selling his old Lincoln Town Car as tempting as the cheap finance is to him.

I remember reading that Buffett did sell his Town Car. I think he has a Caddy now.

Remember, in MI at least, cash rebates are taxed just like everything else. I leased three new Fords in a row and had to pay sales tax on every rebate I got, and the rebates were in the thousands of dollars. So making sales tax deductible will help. The sales tax on a $30,000 vehicle is considerable and then you get nailed on the rebates also. State budgets are getting killed by the low new vehicle sales big time.

This is really a great time to buy a new vehicle, and too bad that when sales pick up the prices will be higher. Now is the time to buy just like now is the time to buy good, quality stocks at a very discounted price. For exaample, a buddy of mine just bought a new 2009 Focus SE. The vehicle stickered for about $17,000 and has Sync. He got it out the door including tax for $11,000 and some change. Used two year old Focuses are priced higher than that. He got it on Z plan but even anyone could have gotten that vehicle for about $800 more. I would imagine you could get a new Fusion SE for about $14,000 after rebates and deals.

Aren't you double counting here? You paid sales tax on $30000 but not the $21000 or whatever out of your pocket means you paid tax for the rebates already.

On 2nd thought, you shouldn't even mention the $30k price if you are leasing. You should be paying sales/use (both at 6% in MI) tax only for your downpay (which includes the rebates) then monthly on your monthly payment. If it's not this case, you were taken by your dealers.

I remember reading that Buffett did sell his Town Car. I think he has a Caddy now.

Did GM let Warren have it for free, or did they agree to cash in some of his out of circulation $$ in with George Washington on that they had to pri out off his wallet. I bet Cadillac lost a lot of money on the deal or it must be a very good car.

Warren is having a bit of a late mid-life crisis he is into Harley's now.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

It's up to 60 months on the '09 Fusion.

Hey Pioneer, looks like you can take the deduction after all.

It would apply to the first $49,500 in the price of a new car purchased between last Nov. 12 and Dec. 31, 2009. Individuals with incomes of up to $125,000 and couples earnings as much as $250,000 could qualify, including those who do not itemize their deductions.

Aren't you double counting here? You paid sales tax on $30000 but not the $21000 or whatever out of your pocket means you paid tax for the rebates already.

On 2nd thought, you shouldn't even mention the $30k price if you are leasing. You should be paying sales/use (both at 6% in MI) tax only for your downpay (which includes the rebates) then monthly on your monthly payment. If it's not this case, you were taken by your dealers.

I probably didn't explain it right. With a lease like I had, I had to pay sales tax on the $4,000 in rebates I got on my last Taurus and was included in the downpayment plus sales tax each month on lease of course. Now let's say I want to buy the new Taurus and it lists for $32,000. And let's say Ford is offering $4,000 in rebates and I pay $28,000 out the door. So I will pay sales tax of 6% on the purchase price and also sales tax on the $4,000 rebate.