GM: Pontiac A Separate GM Brand

Josh Oliver

I had the opportunity to go one on one with Pontiacs' Jim Hopson regarding the brands future. Read my short interview with Mr. Hopson below. We will have additional coverage on the future of Pontiac, however these are the most pressing questions I feel needed to be addressed ASAP.

Including, is Pontiac as a dead brand at GM?

http://www.thegmsource.com/index.php?categ..._articleid=1082

Nothing new here.

Sure there is. The talk that "Pontiac is Dead" is ridiculous. In fact, I saw a segment on Pontiac called "End Of The Line" on NBC Nightly News. The picture being painted by mainstream media is that Pontiac is a dead brand.

Hell, The New York Times today said that Pontiac was no longer a separate brand at GM!

Sure there is. The talk that "Pontiac is Dead" is ridiculous. In fact, I saw a segment on Pontiac called "End Of The Line" on NBC Nightly News. The picture being painted by mainstream media is that Pontiac is a dead brand.

Hell, The New York Times today said that Pontiac was no longer a separate brand at GM!

We've known for months now that Pontiac was being reduced to a niche brand with the G3 and refreshed G6 as the only new Pontiacs on the horizon, and it was confirmed again in Tuesday's restructuring report to Congress. Mr. Hopson didn't disclose anything that hasn't been said by GM already.

From what I understand Pontiac is just to be the G8(very few)/Solstice/G6

Looks like my car is going to be pretty damn rare. I see more Bentleys down here...no wait...name an exotic and I have seen more of them than another G8 lol. I'm fine with that...people always want to know what I am driving.

From what I understand Pontiac is just to be the G8(very few)/Solstice/G6

Looks like my car is going to be pretty damn rare. I see more Bentleys down here...no wait...name an exotic and I have seen more of them than another G8 lol. I'm fine with that...people always want to know what I am driving.

Yup, you're definitely right, that's the same way I see it - more exotics than G8s (same basic area anyways).

When it is said and done, Pontiac will be dead. They cannot offer a single product that isn't offered somewhere else at GM. Damn shame, I always liked the Grand Am. The reduced product line will force dealers out of business before they kill the brand entirely.

At the end of the day, GM needs only two brands, Cadillac and Chevy.

Edited by WC-MAN

When it is said and done, Pontiac will be dead. They cannot offer a single product that isn't offered somewhere else at GM. Damn shame, I always liked the Grand Am. The reduced product line will force dealers out of business before they kill the brand entirely.

At the end of the day, GM needs only two brands, Cadillac and Chevy.

This isn't true. Chevy wouldn't offer a Solstice like vehicle - they have the Corvette. Even if the price point is Corvette 40k, Solstice like Chevy car 25k, they wouldn't put two vehicles that are basically identical on the same showroom floor.

Call me crazy, but I, like others prefer the looks of the Solstice over a 'Vette.

The Pontiac G8 is for all intents what the Chevy Impala would be, but GM's not willing to take the Impala RWD. So, again....Pontiac has the G8 to satisfy those GM buyers that want a rear-wheel-drive sedan that has a competitive price that isn't the Cadillac CTS sedan.

Pontiac very much has a purpose within General Motors, as a separate brand in the B-P-G channel, just like Jim Hopson said they do. Not as a rebadged brand that will be sold in Chevy dealerships like some of the "bigger" publications have slapped Pontiac with.

Holden are in deep trouble at the moment, their export base collapsed in January with 90% reduction

in G8 export request through to April/May, seems like there's quite a back log of '08 plate models.

On top of that, their Middle East supplies of Chevrolet Lumina and Statesman have slowed immensely.

Those exports account for about 50% of Holden's production at Elizabeth in South Australia.

It's funny to think Ford could have done a LHD Falcon in double quick time if they wanted but have

repeatedly said there is no business case for large RWD exports to the middle East or North America.

As a result, FoA have kept a tight rein on costs over the past three years while Holden has seen

ballooning debt, so much that they no longer release specific Australian figures any more.:)

This isn't true. Chevy wouldn't offer a Solstice like vehicle - they have the Corvette. Even if the price point is Corvette 40k, Solstice like Chevy car 25k, they wouldn't put two vehicles that are basically identical on the same showroom floor.

Call me crazy, but I, like others prefer the looks of the Solstice over a 'Vette.

The Pontiac G8 is for all intents what the Chevy Impala would be, but GM's not willing to take the Impala RWD. So, again....Pontiac has the G8 to satisfy those GM buyers that want a rear-wheel-drive sedan that has a competitive price that isn't the Cadillac CTS sedan.

G8's as good as dead, I thought that was old news. That leaves you trying to justify an entire dealer network to sell one product, the Solstice. What were Solstice sales last year again?

Pontiac very much has a purpose within General Motors, as a separate brand in the B-P-G channel, just like Jim Hopson said they do. Not as a rebadged brand that will be sold in Chevy dealerships like some of the "bigger" publications have slapped Pontiac with.

I totally agree with you that the Solstice is a cooler looking car than the evolutionary paperweight "Vette.

I disagree with your feelings about Pontiac. GM should be one company offering cars and trucks. They should sells different models on the same platforms as they do now, but without having a store for each brand. Be a GM dealer and sell whatever they build. One line of cars in all catagories, one line of trucks. suv's and so forth. Too many names exist, why do you think Olds (the oldest name within the company structure) had to die. Overload.

Edited by 156n3rd

G8's as good as dead, I thought that was old news. That leaves you trying to justify an entire dealer network to sell one product, the Solstice. What were Solstice sales last year again?

Not quite. G8 is going to Canada to join the Camaro.

Now - I'm not going to justify Pontiac as Solstice and G8. Not at all.

But, I will say this: There's a powerful side to the electrification of the automobile. It's not all about MPG when it comes to electric cars. Battery powered cars have an insane amount of power when needed.

For the time being, GM is keeping Buick and, for some reason,GMC truck. I don't see the problem with the Pontiac Solstice being sold off those lots. When Buck tanks (that is not an if question), if a market for Solstice remains, it could move to either the Cadillac or Chevrolet lots, depending on how they wish to market the car. It could also be replaced by a Chevrolet, just as Mazda has the Miata and RX-8.

The biggest drawback to this plan is that companies use performance models to sell regular ones. Having a Pontiac represent you when you rely on Buick sales at the dealership isn't going to help much.

I will stand by my prediction that GM will end up as a Chevy/Cadillac company when it is all said and done. I also think the volume dealers will be Ford, Hyundai, Chevy, Toyota, and Honda in the future.

Edited by WC-MAN

G8 is not a hit, and it shows that there really isn't a big market for RWD V8 sedans, unless they are full boat luxo makes. And even then, they are hurting. Rich people get Priuses or hybrid SUV's instead.

There is no proof that G8 will go to production in CDN, either. Pontiac will end up with maybe Solstace and G6? Called the "GMC Pontiac G(x)".

Good Riddens! Plastic mobile company go buh bye! Pontiac hasnt had anything worth while since the WS6.. since its the normal plastic laiden cars and suvs and some rebadged holdens, and those arent really that impressive anyways.. well, i dunno about that G8, but the GTO was a joke.

Good Riddens! Plastic mobile company go buh bye! Pontiac hasnt had anything worth while since the WS6.. since its the normal plastic laiden cars and suvs and some rebadged holdens, and those arent really that impressive anyways.. well, i dunno about that G8, but the GTO was a joke.

The GTO wasn't a joke at all. It just didn't sell well for whatever reason (probably simply because it was a Pontiac so most people didn't know it existed). And I don't see how you can possibly criticize Pontiac for being plasticmobiles and in the same breath praise the Trans Am on any level.