GM cancels 4.5L Diesel?

RangerM

No, not cancelled. It is on hold, just like the Ford 4.4L V-8 and the small Cummins V-8 diesel Dodge was going to use. There really isn't a good business case for a 1/2 ton full size diesel pickup. Such a truck would be a lot more expensive than a gas 1/2 ton, would not get that much better fuel economy, and with the price of diesel fuel would probably be no cheaper to operate than a gas 1/2 ton. Nonetheless, I think we will eventually see all three of these small diesels when the economy gets better.

No, not cancelled. It is on hold, just like the Ford 4.4L V-8 and the small Cummins V-8 diesel Dodge was going to use. There really isn't a good business case for a 1/2 ton full size diesel pickup. Such a truck would be a lot more expensive than a gas 1/2 ton, would not get that much better fuel economy, and with the price of diesel fuel would probably be no cheaper to operate than a gas 1/2 ton. Nonetheless, I think we will eventually see all three of these small diesels when the economy gets better.

Hadn't heard about Ford's being on hold. Guess I missed that one.

Too bad. I would have thought it would make a good "top" engine for the 150 or a good "bottom" engine for the SD.

The price of diesel seems highly variable. It's still over $2.00 here in NC, but in Parkersburg, WV it was $1.89 last Sunday. (cheaper than unleaded!)

It's cancelled, they just can't say it's cancelled, yet. It's "indefinitely on hold".

When GM invests in something like the Volt over this engine, you know they're in trouble.

It's cancelled, they just can't say it's cancelled, yet. It's "indefinitely on hold".

Well, that's the thing about R&D. It's relatively simple to just stop development and it's relatively easy to pick development up at a later date, so there's really nothing in the land of R&D that gets "cancelled" per se, as there might always come a time that such development will continue sometime down the road. :shrug:

Around here, Diesel cost less than premium gasoline...

I think the diesel is a much better option than the dual mode hybrid GM is offering.

One nice thing about a diesel, they are great for towing, and the mileage doesn't drop as badly as gasoline. My mother has a E320 CDI and it easily beats the EPA estimates.

Yes, it is about the same as regular right now here in NJ. However, I don't see this as a sustained trend.

Around here, Diesel cost less than premium gasoline...

I think the diesel is a much better option than the dual mode hybrid GM is offering.

One nice thing about a diesel, they are great for towing, and the mileage doesn't drop as badly as gasoline. My mother has a E320 CDI and it easily beats the EPA estimates.

About Ford shelving their engines we have to pick it as a grain of Salt, how many times was Coyote and the Hurricane"Boss" engine shelved or killed in the last 2 years and now both will see they day of light by this time next year and it makes me laugh because when the rumor cam that Fords small diesel was shelved atleast on GMI ohh how stupid its Ford and blah blah blah and look who joined the pack now and I got a feeling that maybe this was a tactic by Ford, lets say we will not bring the 4.4 to the 150 and maybe the competition will stop there programs while we keep testing and silently have the engine ready for Intro and take a big piece of the pie

Edited by Cougarpower

The way Ford has been quiet about things, under-rating mileage, I wouldn't be surprised if Ford will still make the 4.4 diesel. They're just holding out a little for economy and finances to settle down. Then surprise the heck out of everyone when they do release it and everyone else is caught flat footed.

The way Ford has been quiet about things, under-rating mileage, I wouldn't be surprised if Ford will still make the 4.4 diesel. They're just holding out a little for economy and finances to settle down. Then surprise the heck out of everyone when they do release it and everyone else is caught flat footed.

may be THE powertrain for a 7-8 passenger tow-mobile...ala EL Expy....there was a HUGE void when the diesel Excursion was nixxed.

The new SRC catalysts are going to drive up the price of a diesel engine option up considerably. As soon as this recession/depression is over (2010?) oil prices will go right back up to $125/barrel or better. I think all three auto manufacturers are smart for delaying light truck diesels now and going ahaed with plug-in hybrids and electric cars.

Yes, it is about the same as regular right now here in NJ. However, I don't see this as a sustained trend.

When I was getting gas today, I realized that diesel was the same as premium, at $2.39 (IIRC). Now that may not sound like much, but for a while there, diesel was $0.50+ more than premium.

Unfortunately the competetive impetus for Ford to put the the 4.4 Diesel in LD trucks will have been lost if GM don't put this into production. Diesels engines alone are expensive (esp. the "swiss-watch" like 4.4 V8) and on top the aftertreatment equipment is just ridiculously expensive. With the pickup market a lot smaller than it used to be a diesel would more than likely just canibalise sales off far more profitable gas engines, and who wants to do that in the current economic climate? Also the later Tier2 Bin2 emissions (even with SCR, closed loop cylinder-pressure monitoring and lots of EGR) is going to be horrendously difficult.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_ne...gine/index.html

If the MT article is to be believed then a Ford spokesperson already said it is already postponed. The best hope for that engine appearing in a future F150 is that it will go into production for the Range Rover for Euro 5 emissions.

Edited by jon_the_limey