New Ford TV Ad showing 2010 Taurus

The real problem here is that once the problem occurs, it's difficult to get it repaired correctly. Ford has issued new seal kits, new replacement procedures and even entirely new PTUs - and most are continuing to leak after being repaired 2, 3 or 4 times. That's the frustrating part.

It sounds like this is a very hard thing to replace in the field and requires heating the seals so I'm not surprised some dealers can't do it right.

I would also guess this happens in cold climates where the seals shrink more and where you're more likely to have an AWD model.

hit the nail on the head kirby....but, from mazdas standpoint....Ford NEEDS to alleviate the issue, I wonder if they have now redesigned what in my eyes is lstarting to look like a glaring design fault....and seriously, the WORST thing about issues like this IS going backwards and forwards to the dealer for the SAME issue....never happened to me, but I can fathom the built up angst....I too would be antsy after the 2nd attempt let alone the 5th or 6th.....

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Critic, if I was complaining that I couldn't order heated mirrors as an option, that would be a petty gripe:

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index...showtopic=30941

I just want the same quality and good customer experience that I had with my last car. Are we all not here to discuss Ford? Why can't I criticize Ford without being labeled a whiner? This is a forum, is it not? I never said Ford was crap.

Edited by mazda626

If EVERY PTU had this problem, Ford wouldn't have the quality ratings it has.

agreed, but that doesn't make it right...even for a few, wionder if its just in colder climes etc? as no-one here is familiar with the issue... I wouldn't be too happy if it was happening to me....if it is ambient temperature induced then i would think in certain demographics a differnt material would be utilized, and perhaps that is what the TSB adress's....I've sold a BUNCH of Edges, not a lot of AWD's ( obvious climatic reasoning ) and ZERO complaints about anything ( oh, sorry, one, trans shifting hard...)

Why can't I criticize Ford without being labeled a whiner?

Why? Because you're acting like you, and other people with this issue, are the only people on the freakin' planet, that's why.

Because you have posted, as reference, the kind of tinfoil-hatted-rantings that cause just about every member of this site to ball up their fists and swallow down the urge to punch their computer screens.

If you would attempt, for just a moment, to put your problems in perspective, you might get a warmer reception around here.

Edited by RichardJensen

Critic, if I was complaining that I couldn't order heated mirrors as an option, that would be a petty gripe:

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index...showtopic=30941

I just want the same quality and good customer experience that I had with my last car. Are we all not here to discuss Ford? Why can't I criticize Ford without being labeled a whiner? This is a forum, is it not?

Was your mazda a first year vehicle? Almost every first year vehicles has some kind of "updated" part. 2008 was the first year with that transmission/engine setup. I understand the frustration of repeat returns to the dealer. However, once its completely fixed you won't even think about that leak again. I am sure something else will be the topic of the day.

agreed, but that doesn't make it right...even for a few, wionder if its just in colder climes etc? as no-one here is familiar with the issue... I wouldn't be too happy if it was happening to me....if it is ambient temperature induced then i would think in certain demographics a differnt material would be utilized, and perhaps that is what the TSB adress's....I've sold a BUNCH of Edges, not a lot of AWD's ( obvious climatic reasoning ) and ZERO complaints about anything ( oh, sorry, one, trans shifting hard...)

My parents have had no issues, but they keep their car garaged....

At any rate, it's a minor issue. It needs to be solved, yes, but we're not talking Powerstroke diesel catastrophe here.

Don’t preach to me about Ford Quality. I own one of the problem vehicles. Do you? I bought this car because I believed what I read about Ford's quality being equal to Toyota.

I think you will find that many many more people own one of the non-problem vehicles than the problem vehicles. It sucks to have a problem with a new car. I had the head gasket replaced twice (20k & 40k) on my '99 F150 before they finally figured out the head was warped and replaced the head (paid for by Ford even though it was out of warranty) at 60k. Was I happy? No. Do I understand that any machine made by man will have the occasional problem? Yes. The problem never resurfaced again.

Good luck getting your car fixed. One problem car, IMHO, is not reason enough to abandon an auto maker. Eventually, if your luck is bad enough, you'll end up walking to work.

My parents have an '08 Taurus. They haven't had problems.

For every ONE person you find with this problem, there are probably close to a thousand that haven't had problems.

Does Ford need to fix this problem? YES.

Does this mean Ford is selling crap cars? NO

Richard, where are you getting your numbers from? I got beat up over my bad knowledge of statistical theory, so I'm going to challenge your math too. Only Ford knows the extent of the problem, because they track the numbers. My problem is with Ford's AWD system, which tends to sell more in the northern states, and the problem appears worse on my car in cold weather. If you worked at a dealer in Southern California, probably you would see less of these warranty claims.

Richard, where are you getting your numbers from?.

Notice the use of the word 'probably.'

Why?

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/ne...-faq_ov.htm#4.2

The problem you site falls under 'drive system' in the CU ratings.

The Taurus, Edge, MKX do not show up with the black circle in the CU ratings for 2008. In fact all three carry CU's recommendation. Therefore the problem rate may be inferred to be quite low. Certainly not occurring more often than -other- drive system problems in -other- makes and models.

Why? Because you're acting like you, and other people with this issue, are the only people on the freakin' planet, that's why.

Because you have posted, as reference, the kind of tinfoil-hatted-rantings that cause just about every member of this site to ball up their fists and swallow down the urge to punch their computer screens.

If you would attempt, for just a moment, to put your problems in perspective, you might get a warmer reception around here.

Okay, sorry for hijacking my own topic. Did you see that Ford is starting to advertise the 2010 Ford Taurus on TV?

Okay, sorry for hijacking my own topic. Did you see that Ford is starting to advertise the 2010 Ford Taurus on TV?

I heard they are batching and holding them due to leaky........ :stirpot: LOL! Hey, hope you get it back soon and fixed...Taurus looks STUNNING, I did mention to someone the other day about how good looking it is,,,his answer, I would NEVER buy a taurus, the name just reminds me .....amazing how jaded some are I swear...his loss, I'm sure his mind will change when he sees the car in the flesh...that said, the current model was a case study in :boring: so maybe his thoughts have some basis....

Edited by Deanh

My parents have had no issues, but they keep their car garaged....

At any rate, it's a minor issue. It needs to be solved, yes, but we're not talking Powerstroke diesel catastrophe here.

Thanks for reminding me of the nightmares when I bought the F-350. :drop:

:finger:

I heard they are batching and holding them due to leaky........ :stirpot: LOL! Hey, hope you get it back soon and fixed...Taurus looks STUNNING, I did mention to someone the other day about how good looking it is,,,his answer, i would NEVER buy a taurus, the name just reminds me .....amzing how jaded some are i swear...his loos, i'm sure his mind will change when he sees the car in the flesh...that said, the current model was a case study in :boring: so maybe his thoughts have some basis....

The current Taurus did make Autoblog's list of "Ten Worst Date Cars"

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/10-worst-date-cars/1186661/

Last year when I mentioned to people that I bought a new car, they inevitably asked what I bought. When I said "Ford Taurus" they made awful faces and asked "why?". After a while I avoided the topic, because I thought people were losing respect for me. A few asked why I didn't get a Lexus or Audi. I found that no other car maker has a full size sedan in this price class (maybe Chrysler 300?), and the Taurus was a great value. In 2005 the Chrysler 300 spanked the Ford 500 sale numbers with it's Hemi engine, but I think it was bad timing on Ford's part. The Taurus is a good car, and now it's updated bodywork should stimulate some sales. I think this is the best car I have ever owned, despite my PTU leak.

Edited by mazda626

The current Taurus did make Autoblog's list of "Ten Worst Date Cars"

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/10-worst-date-cars/1186661/

Last year when I mentioned to people that I bought a new car, they inevitably asked what I bought. When I said "Ford Taurus" they made awful faces and asked "why?". After a while I avoided the topic, because I thought people were losing respect for me. A few asked why I didn't get a Lexus or Audi. I found that no other car maker has a full size sedan in this price class (maybe Chrysler 300?), and the Taurus was a great value. In 2005 the Chrysler 300 spanked the Ford 500 sale numbers with it's Hemi engine, but I think it was bad timing on Ford's part. The Taurus is a good car, and now it's updated bodywork should stimulate some sales. I think this is the best car I have ever owned, despite my PTU leak.

Well it is a family car. I have no idea why 3/4s of Toyota's lineup isn't on there.

And BTW the new Taurus is more than updated bodywork.

Edited by Michael Reynolds

No offense, but if people lose respect for you for not buying a Lexus/Audi/BMW/Mercedes/etc., then I think you need to hang with a new crowd.

No offense, but if people lose respect for you for not buying a Lexus/Audi/BMW/Mercedes/etc., then I think you need to hang with a new crowd.

Those cars have higher perceived quality than Ford, in addition to being status symbols. The "crowd" I spoke of were actually my co-workers, so I can't really choose to hang with other people. My wife and I did test drive a Volvo at the time, but it was way overpriced for what it was. When I tried to bargain for a lower price on a V70, the salesman said the price was not negotiable because "we are not like the domestics". I noticed the dealership was filled with pretentious well dressed middle aged buyers. Every time I see someone driving a Volvo now, I think they are more concerned with image than getting a good value from their car.

Edited by mazda626

The "crowd" I spoke of were actually my co-workers, so I can't really choose to hang with other people.

I understand...have worked with a few of those as well. Just like kids in school if you don't wear Nike's! :)

I noticed the dealership was filled with pretentious well dressed middle aged buyers. Every time I see someone driving a Volvo now, I think they are more concerned with image than getting a good value from their car.

I agree, and I think that is the case with many of those 'status' cars.

Those cars have higher perceived quality than Ford, in addition to being status symbols. The "crowd" I spoke of were actually my co-workers, so I can't really choose to hang with other people. My wife and I did test drive a Volvo at the time, but it was way overpriced for what it was. When I tried to bargain for a lower price on a V70, the salesman said the price was not negotiable because "we are not like the domestics". I noticed the dealership was filled with pretentious well dressed middle aged buyers. Every time I see someone driving a Volvo now, I think they are more concerned with image than getting a good value from their car.

as mentioned the new taurus will go a LONG way to changing peoples perceprtions...especially the SHO....and funnily enough, ask the "crowd" about BMW electrical gremlins, audis turbo issues etc etc...usually shuts em up...lease payment yuppies! ( and I've had 3 BMW;s ..ALL had spectacular issues...thanks to my ex....)

As an owner of an 08 Edge AWD with 34K miles, I haven't seen the problem, love the thing, and we do live in a cold weather climate. We did have to replace an axle shaft (vibration issue) and was done under warranty with no further issues. The tone of the post seems to be a typical "mine leaked and ergo ALL like awd equipped will leak and are junk". Folks around here have seen this kind of post before and most know where it's going.

As far as the Taurus is concerned, I'll be stepping up to an SHO this summer provided the wife likes it as much as I do. Oh, and we'll be keeping the Edge, not trading it in.

Judging how ye olde Fusion had held up and how seamless the powertrain is in the Mariner, I plan on dumping our Infiniti products in favor for Ford branded vehicles. We have the SHO on our list as well, but I want to get the principal down on the vehicles we have already b4 we go on this vehicle trading frenzy. I'd love to have it along with a GT500 in the drive though, sooner rather than later.

Um, not to get in the way here, but I thought that was me?! If your saying I have been replaced it would have been nice to know. I could have been doing all sorts of things with all that wasted time!

Peace and Blessings