Slammin' the SHO on TTAC

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't get why they didn't upgrade the brakes, sporty cars costing 10k less come with nice stuff such as Brembo's, and the brakes on the pedestrian version have had complaints, with all that power they are using the same brakes??

SHO Performance Package

Performance Brake Pads, EPAS Calibrated Steering, ESC Track

Mode/True Off, 3.16 Final Drive Ratio, 20" Premium Painted Wheels with

Performance Summer Tire Compound & Tire Mobility Kit4,5

Though the werid thing is that you can't get the SHO Performance package on the 402A quick spec that has bunch of additional options on it....

No where the Current Taurus has issues with its braking power

Does it really need it?

Every review I've seen on new Ford's they complain about the brakes, they added 100 horsepower and torque to the car, yet changed nothing else, didn't beef up the brakes which is pretty much SOP in the car world when you add big power.

Even the cheaper Hyundai Genesis with the track pack has big brakes with Brembo calipers. It's just a cheap oversight, and a safety issue.

Edited by Blueblood

I thought the 402A Quick Spec included the Sport Package?

Nope its grayed out...I think its something to do with the adaptive cruise control

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index...t=0&start=0

Anyone know what size the 20 inch tires are going to be? I checked Tirerack and if you get 255/45 20inch tires, they are cheaper then the 255/45 19 inch tires!

Every review I've seen on new Ford's they complain about the brakes, they added 100 horsepower and torque to the car, yet changed nothing else, didn't beef up the brakes which is pretty much SOP in the car world when you add big power.

Even the cheaper Hyundai with the track pack has big brakes with Brembo calipers. It's just a cheap oversight, and a safety issue.

The last review I recall seeing any complaints about brake performance was on the first year Edges. And that seems to have been addressed also.

And slapping a name brand on something (Brembo) doesn't necessarily mean they are better. The Brembo rotors on 99-04 Cobras were far more prone to warping than the Ford-branded ones used from 94-98.

:shrug:

Anyone know what size the 20 inch tires are going to be? I checked Tirerack and if you get 255/45 20inch tires, they are cheaper then the 255/45 19 inch tires!

I believe I saw the 20's were 245/45's. I remember it striking me as strange that the 20" tires were narrower....I think?

SHO Performance Package

Performance Brake Pads, EPAS Calibrated Steering, ESC Track

Mode/True Off, 3.16 Final Drive Ratio, 20" Premium Painted Wheels with

Performance Summer Tire Compound & Tire Mobility Kit4,5

Though the werid thing is that you can't get the SHO Performance package on the 402A quick spec that has bunch of additional options on it....

Yea, with the "performance package" you get upgraded pads, which means they start to fade a little later, but they still fade and can't perform like the car is being marketed. It might stop great the first time, but after that it's Fred Flinstone time.

I have the same problem with my Focus, I put some Hawk HPS's on it which work great, until they overheat and the car won't stop, however, the SVT Focus brakes with OEM pads don't have that problem.

Why do you think the GT500 has 14" front rotors with 4 piston Brembo's? For the looks? Heck it would have been parts bin, I would pay more for them from the factory.

It's just always been a pet peeve of mine, my first car was a Fox Mustang, I know what it's like to have worthless, dangerous brakes, so I've always felt cars should have reserve braking power, especially performance oriented cars. Ford got it right on the SVT vehicles, but other than that they seem to engineer them to be "just good enough". Some of the cars that came out around the beginning of this decade had best in class brakes, the Escape and the Focus being two of them, and we all remember what happened to the brake performance on the newer Escape, it performs worse than the original.

I just feel that the first time we see a review on a twisty mountain road the car will get hammered for the brakes, I don't want that to happen.

Even the cheaper Hyundai with the track pack has big brakes with Brembo calipers. It's just a cheap oversight, and a safety issue.

What Hyundai are you comparing to? What is the weight difference between these vehicles? What is the actual difference in braking performance (distance in feet.)?

I've seen vehicles even with performance pads/rotors do worse, slightly better/worse and significantly better. So with your comparison, I just want see the actual difference your keep refering to.

Brake performance is a function of several things:

Pad materials

Pad Size

Rotor size

Rotor Material

Tire characterists (compound, contact patch, size)

ABS tuning

Vehicle weight

Vehicle suspension (governing weight transfer under braking)

The SHO changes:

Pad materials

Tire Characteristics

Vehicle Suspension

likely also makes changes to the ABS tuning as well

This only leaves Rotor size and materials and pad size and vehicle weight as largely unchanged. Changing the pad materials also changes how they interact with the Rotor materials, so, there's another ratio in there as well. With half of the components of braking performance changed, I'd say that until we see a real track or road test of the SHO, no one outside of the testers, knows for sure how its brakes work.

Yea, with the "performance package" you get upgraded pads, which means they start to fade a little later, but they still fade and can't perform like the car is being marketed. It might stop great the first time, but after that it's Fred Flinstone time.

I have the same problem with my Focus, I put some Hawk HPS's on it which work great, until they overheat and the car won't stop, however, the SVT Focus brakes with OEM pads don't have that problem.

Why do you think the GT500 has 14" front rotors with 4 piston Brembo's? For the looks? Heck it would have been parts bin, I would pay more for them from the factory.

It's just always been a pet peeve of mine, my first car was a Fox Mustang, I know what it's like to have worthless, dangerous brakes, so I've always felt cars should have reserve braking power, especially performance oriented cars. Ford got it right on the SVT vehicles, but other than that they seem to engineer them to be "just good enough". Some of the cars that came out around the beginning of this decade had best in class brakes, the Escape and the Focus being two of them, and we all remember what happened to the brake performance on the newer Escape, it performs worse than the original.

I just feel that the first time we see a review on a twisty mountain road the car will get hammered for the brakes, I don't want that to happen.

Since no one has tested the 2010 SHO at this time, it would seem you are jumping to a conclusion based in part on some review you read on some Ford and your experience with a Fox Body Mustang which has been out of production since at least 1993. I don't want to step on your negative vibe too much but why not wait until someone tests the SHO before you complain about the brakes.

Since no one has tested the 2010 SHO at this time, it would seem you are jumping to a conclusion based in part on some review you read on some Ford and your experience with a Fox Body Mustang which has been out of production since at least 1993. I don't want to step on your negative vibe too much but why not wait until someone tests the SHO before you complain about the brakes.
Indeed. But I must say, I had a 1990 Mustang GT Vert. I had to pump the brakes as if I were trying to keep a tempo. Seriously, it was that bad :yup: