Ford applies for patent on turbocharged pushrod V8

Link

Careful reading of the patent application shows that it focuses on the intake/exhaust layout and valvetrain configuration. The text indicates that the technology could be applied to either gasoline or diesel engines. What we're probably looking at here is the layout of Ford's new Scorpion diesel V-8, which will replace the Navistar engines used in its Super-Duty trucks. Ford is unlikely to put such an engine in its cars anytime soon, instead focusing on smaller EcoBoost four and six-cylinder engines.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good ol' Matt/P71 miseducating the sheep over at autoblog as usual :hysterical:

Matt

12:43pm (4/05/2009)

This may be the end of boat anchor V8s from Ford...

Matt

1:34pm (4/05/2009)

Hmmm.....let's see.

Ford 4.6 V8: ~300-315HP

Ford 5.4 V8: ~310-320HP

Hyundai 4.6 V8: ~375HP

Matt

1:36pm (4/05/2009)

Yeah...GM's 6.0 OHV V8 puts out the same power and mileage as Ford's 3.5 V6

:hysterical::finger: :finger: :finger::hysterical:

av-21033.jpg

Ahhhh a classic. Peter Graves accidentally creates gigantic grasshoppers and a two-star general has the authority to order a nuclear strike on a US city........................

I had thought Ford was mightily displeased with Navistar's 4 valve pushrod design for the 6.0/6.4 PSDs.

Edited by RichardJensen

av-21033.jpg

Ahhhh a classic. Peter Graves accidentally creates gigantic grasshoppers and a two-star general has the authority to order a nuclear strike on a US city........................

I had thought Ford was mightily displeased with Navistar's 4 valve pushrod design for the 6.0/6.4 PSDs.

I think not enough head bolts was the bigger problem. If I remember correctly the 6.4 has the same count just a larger diameter.

If you check out the diesel mags anyone that "builds" a 6.0 uses ARP head studs.When I was still at Flandreau we had a early 6.0 that broke it's crankshaft.

I called Ford and told them what we suspected. The guy from Ford said "the crank BROKE?!?!" "I'll call you right back."

About 30 minutes later he called back,"we're sending you a new engine off the line. DO NOT open that motor up. Send it directly to International."

Last I heard about it.

4-valve pushrods heads are way more expensive, less efficient and less reliable than DOHC at higher RPMs.

Not to argue, but the point of EcoBoost is to get the torque curve as flat as possible from around 1,500 rpm to 2,000 rpm, so that trying for 5,000-7,000 rpm is not necessary, so pushrod reliability is not a limiting factor.

Less efficient? How so?

Good ol' Matt/P71 miseducating the sheep over at autoblog as usual :hysterical:

That's odd. Someone was stating for a fact he was banned at autoblog.

Guess it was another clueless statement, as usual.

Anyway, nice to see plans for an EB V8.

Not to argue, but the point of EcoBoost is to get the torque curve as flat as possible from around 1,500 rpm to 2,000 rpm, so that trying for 5,000-7,000 rpm is not necessary, so pushrod reliability is not a limiting factor.

Less efficient? How so?

It requires more energy to actuate the valves...

I think timing at higher RPMs used to be an issue, but less so with modern pushrod engines (if memory serves, there was an issue with the pushrod flexing, which was a minor problem at lower RPMs, but more pronounced at higher RPMs--again, if memory serves, stronger pushrods have reduced that problem).

Edited by RichardJensen

I know this is a stupid question, but why not 4-valve pushrod engines that burn gasoline? Especially when EcoBoost works that torque curve. Is OHC cheaper?

I don't know. 4 CAMs and a long timing chain vs. 1 CAM an Pushrods?

Doesn't this engine get cylinder deactivation. I would think Pushrods might make cylinder deactivation easier to package.

I think timing at higher RPMs used to be an issue, but less so with modern pushrod engines (if memory serves, there was an issue with the pushrod flexing, which was a minor problem at lower RPMs, but more pronounced at higher RPMs--again, if memory serves, stronger pushrods have reduced that problem).
It is true that stronger pushrods have reduced pushrod flexing in 2-Valve motors. However, 4-valve motors have twice the valvesprings and therefore twice the pressure on the pushrods. Just ask the guys over at Arao Engineering. Their proprietary 4-valve OHC design uses patented pushrods made from a ceramic composite pressed into an alloy liner. They're the most expensive parts on the entire valvetrain. I believe they cost something like $2500 for a set. Obviously the costs outweigh the benefits for a mass produced vehicles , so 4-valve OHV heads are not an option on Gasoline engines.

EDIT: Typo

Edited by Versa-Tech

It is true that stronger pushrods have reduced pushrod flexing in 2-Valve motors. However, 4-valve motors have twice the valvesprings and therefore twice the pressure on the pushrods. Just ask the guys over at Arao Engineering. Their proprietary 4-valve OHC design uses patented pushrods made from a ceramic composite pressed into an alloy liner. They're the most expensive parts on the entire valvetrain. I believe they cost something like $2500 for a set. Obviously the costs outweigh the benefits for a mass produced vehicles , so 4-valve OHC heads are not an option on Gasoline engines.

Didn't someone develop 4-valve heads for the 5.0L back in '90s? I remember seeing pics of them in MM&FF magazine.