First Full Day with Hybrid

nelsonlu

Today's my first full day with the Hybrid and my 160 mile (roundtrip) commute... Still in love. Still awed. Some scattered thoughts:

1. Got the fuel efficiency up to 34.9 MPG, and the vine now has nine leaves. I can get used to this... Still trying to go higher... :P

2. Sound system is really nice. In particular, the Jukebox is actually pretty quick at ripping tracks. I should be able to get my entire CD collection onto it within a matter of a couple weeks. No need for an iPod.

3. BLIS is, well, blissful. Of course, I may be getting into some bad habits because of it -- I might be passing with too little distance. ;)

4. If I have a complaint -- and actually, I do -- it's that when going uphill, but even much more so downhill, the cruise control system is not very good at keeping the speed constant. When going uphill, if definitely loses speed noticeably, although not much, and when going downhill, it gains speed quickly, such that I really feel that I have to disengage it entirely and apply brakes in order not to go way too fast. (My commute includes a huge downhill at the bottom of which there are usually lots of highway patrol cars congregated -- definitely need to make sure that I don't go too fast there.) Going to low gear helps, although I think it hurts the fuel economy. (If someone knows differently, please let me know.)

5. And, not a complaint, but just an observation -- it's not in EV mode as much as I thought it would be. Still, as mentioned above, overall economy is basically as I expected, so no complaint overall on that.

Today's my first full day with the Hybrid and my 160 mile (roundtrip) commute... Still in love. Still awed. Some scattered thoughts:

1. Got the fuel efficiency up to 34.9 MPG, and the vine now has nine leaves. I can get used to this... Still trying to go higher... :P

2. Sound system is really nice. In particular, the Jukebox is actually pretty quick at ripping tracks. I should be able to get my entire CD collection onto it within a matter of a couple weeks. No need for an iPod.

3. BLIS is, well, blissful. Of course, I may be getting into some bad habits because of it -- I might be passing with too little distance. ;)

4. If I have a complaint -- and actually, I do -- it's that when going uphill, but even much more so downhill, the cruise control system is not very good at keeping the speed constant. When going uphill, if definitely loses speed noticeably, although not much, and when going downhill, it gains speed quickly, such that I really feel that I have to disengage it entirely and apply brakes in order not to go way too fast. (My commute includes a huge downhill at the bottom of which there are usually lots of highway patrol cars congregated -- definitely need to make sure that I don't go too fast there.) Going to low gear helps, although I think it hurts the fuel economy. (If someone knows differently, please let me know.)

5. And, not a complaint, but just an observation -- it's not in EV mode as much as I thought it would be. Still, as mentioned above, overall economy is basically as I expected, so no complaint overall on that.

Thanks for sharing, nelson. Just curious, can you transfer data from an ipod to the car? I lost a lot of my old cd's.

Thanks for sharing, nelson. Just curious, can you transfer data from an ipod to the car? I lost a lot of my old cd's.

I assume you can by using Sync -- I haven't had the chance to go through the user's guide on the Sync/Navigation system entirely, and as I don't currently have an iPod (planning on getting the 3rd-generation iPhone, rumored to be coming out in a couple months), I have not had the chance to test that.

I assume you can by using Sync -- I haven't had the chance to go through the user's guide on the Sync/Navigation system entirely, and as I don't currently have an iPod (planning on getting the 3rd-generation iPhone, rumored to be coming out in a couple months), I have not had the chance to test that.

IIRC you can only rip cds - you can't copy mp3s to the internal hard drive.

Nelson, thanks for sharing your impressions. I wanted to ask if you're satisfied with the performance? I know it's first and foremost a hybrid, designed to get good fuel economy, but I'm hoping it can hold it's own performance-wise. I do the bulk of my driving in stop-and-go traffic, and that was my reason for ordering the hybrid over the other models. But there are times when I just want to have fun and want good acceleration, like when I'm passing someone on the highway or on those occasions where the road is wide open. :yahoo: Just wondering what your thoughts are.

Nelson, thanks for sharing your impressions. I wanted to ask if you're satisfied with the performance? I know it's first and foremost a hybrid, designed to get good fuel economy, but I'm hoping it can hold it's own performance-wise. I do the bulk of my driving in stop-and-go traffic, and that was my reason for ordering the hybrid over the other models. But there are times when I just want to have fun and want good acceleration, like when I'm passing someone on the highway or on those occasions where the road is wide open. :yahoo: Just wondering what your thoughts are.

I'm wondering this as well. I do mostly city driving, my commute to work is only 6 miles which was a big reason why I bought the Hybrid because I can go probably a month between fill-ups depending on my driving and what not. However on occasion we drive to my parents second house which is about 200 highway miles away, I guess I want to know the same thing as ackbar, how is the power when you slam the accelerator?

I'm wondering this as well. I do mostly city driving, my commute to work is only 6 miles which was a big reason why I bought the Hybrid because I can go probably a month between fill-ups depending on my driving and what not. However on occasion we drive to my parents second house which is about 200 highway miles away, I guess I want to know the same thing as ackbar, how is the power when you slam the accelerator?

I haven't really floored the accelerator just yet, but my gut feeling from the hardest times that I pressed it is that the car's acceleration will be just fine. I am not really feeling much of the alleged "instant torque from electric motor" that Prius owners claim to get, but there is nothing inadequate about the acceleration that I could see. (There was the time when I accelerated past a BMW that the BMW's driver appeared to be displeased about. :shades: ) It is able to hold, on a flat highway, ~72 MPH (which is my standard cruising speed these days) at less than 2,000 RPM, which means that if you rev it up it should accelerate well. (As a non-engine person myself, my point of comparison, really, is with my old 2004 Lincoln LS with the 3.0 V6, which can't do that at anything less than ~2,300-2,500 RPM.)

You know, if I were a multimedia person with YouTube type of experience, I am feeling elated enough about the car that I just might mess with Kelly Clarkson's video for the Mustang (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFa3ekRqxFA) and change it into a Fusion Hybrid. ;-)

Edited by nelsonlu

I've had a 2007 Camry Hybrid for three years now, and I know that after the break in period I started achieving better MPG performance than I did at first. I now regularly achive 40+MPG on my daily commute. I have a Fusion Hybrid on order, got a VIN number last week :happy feet: and I am hopeful that I will see the same MPG performance or better than I have now. I suspect that the lower MPG's we are seeing now is because most of the Fusion Hybrids being test driven aren't broken in yet. I am excited to get my new car, and I can't wait to find out!

I've had a 2007 Camry Hybrid for three years now, and I know that after the break in period I started achieving better MPG performance than I did at first. I now regularly achive 40+MPG on my daily commute. I have a Fusion Hybrid on order, got a VIN number last week :happy feet: and I am hopeful that I will see the same MPG performance or better than I have now. I suspect that the lower MPG's we are seeing now is because most of the Fusion Hybrids being test driven aren't broken in yet. I am excited to get my new car, and I can't wait to find out!

welcome to the dark side! :happy feet:

when i took a fusion hybrid out for a cruse the acceleartion seemed to be quite good. not quite as quick as my v6 but it could probably run close.

I am hoping that's the case, too. I got about 37-38 MPG on my commute yesterday.

Are there any special break-in recommendations for the Fusion hybrid? I've always heard that you should drive new cars more gently (under 55mph) for the first 500 or so miles to allow the engine to break-in and seal properly. Is that the same case for hybrids like the FFH?

Are there any special break-in recommendations for the Fusion hybrid? I've always heard that you should drive new cars more gently (under 55mph) for the first 500 or so miles to allow the engine to break-in and seal properly. Is that the same case for hybrids like the FFH?

Here's what the Owner's Manual says:

BREAKING-IN YOUR VEHICLE

Your vehicle does not need an extensive break-in. Try not to drive

continuously at the same speed for the first 1,000 miles (1,600 km) of

new vehicle operation. Vary your speed frequently in order to give the

moving parts a chance to break in.

Do not add friction modifier compounds or special break-in oils since

these additives may prevent piston ring seating. See Engine oil in the

Maintenance and Specifications chapter for more information on oil

usage.

Hi ackbar. :D In addition to NewNoles's good advice, I would also recommend that you read you Owners Manual. You can start by looking in the Index under "Break in". There will also be a lot of other important and and useful information contained in it.

If you do not have your Owners Manual (or car) yet, you can usually get a PDF copy here: LINK: Owner Manuals. Unfortunately I just checked and they do not have the 2010 models listed yet. But if you check back, I am sure they will be available shortly.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Here's what the Owner's Manual says:

Hi ackbar. :D In addition to NewNoles's good advice, I would also recommend that you read you Owners Manual. You can start by looking in the Index under "Break in". There will also be a lot of other important and and useful information contained in it.

If you do not have your Owners Manual (or car) yet, you can usually get a PDF copy here: LINK: Owner Manuals. Unfortunately I just checked and they do not have the 2010 models listed yet. But if you check back, I am sure they will be available shortly.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Thanks for the info!

when i took a fusion hybrid out for a cruse the acceleartion seemed to be quite good. not quite as quick as my v6 but it could probably run close.

Thank you! It is good to be back. I have been a Ford owner for over 20 years, until 3 years ago when I went to the Camry Hybrid. My dad retired from the Ford plan in Wixom a few years back, and he was none to happy :slap: :censored: when I bought a Toyota. But he was very happy when I called and said I ordered the Fusion Hybrid!

I just came from test driving a Fusion Hybrid at my dealers lot. They got it in yesterday afternoon. It was so nice! Great ride, great acceleration, and the engine was so quiet! I couldn't even tell when the engine stop or started, which is so much different from what I drive now. I didn't stomp on it, but I could definitely tell a difference in power. It was virtually the same car I ordered, except I ordered Black, not Silver. I am starting to wonder if I made the right choice when it comes to color.

I also learned that my build date is scheduled for the week of April 27th. Should have the car by Memorial Day weekend.

I just came from test driving a Fusion Hybrid at my dealers lot. They got it in yesterday afternoon. It was so nice! Great ride, great acceleration, and the engine was so quiet! I couldn't even tell when the engine stop or started, which is so much different from what I drive now. I didn't stomp on it, but I could definitely tell a difference in power. It was virtually the same car I ordered, except I ordered Black, not Silver. I am starting to wonder if I made the right choice when it comes to color.

Everybody's tastes differ -- but since I drive a lot in the dark and I view black as difficult to see in the dark, I did not consider black (which is very good-looking, in my opinion) when I ordered. Initially, I asked for silver, but the very same day I was on the freeway and virtually every car around me was silver. I called the dealership back and changed the order to light blue. I like how it looks so far. B)

RE: Owners Manual for 2010 Fusion and Fusion Hybrid

FYI - I found the 2010 Fusion Hybrid Owner's Guide here:

http://www.motorcraftservice.com (Click the "Owner Guides" link on the left hand side.)

Lots of good reading! Unfortunately, the Navigation and Sync documentation isn't in that section yet. I pulled down the '09 Escape Hybrid's Navigation and Sync PDF docs to read (thinking they would at least be similar) while waiting for my FFH order to be processed.

Test drove the first FFH that showed up in our area at a dealership across town on Thursday this past week. We were really impressed. A smooth quiet ride, seemed like it had plenty of power reserved if you really stepped on it. The family said there was plenty of leg room in the back. I'm 6'2"-ish and had enough head room to be comfortable with the moon roof, and my wife of 5'10" was sitting behind me with plenty of knee room. All in all I think it's going to be a great vehicle, can't wait til ours shows up!

Enjoy the manuals!

RE: Owners Manual for 2010 Fusion and Fusion Hybrid

FYI - I found the 2010 Fusion Hybrid Owner's Guide here:

http://www.motorcraftservice.com (Click the "Owner Guides" link on the left hand side.)

Lots of good reading! Unfortunately, the Navigation and Sync documentation isn't in that section yet. I pulled down the '09 Escape Hybrid's Navigation and Sync PDF docs to read (thinking they would at least be similar) while waiting for my FFH order to be processed.

Test drove the first FFH that showed up in our area at a dealership across town on Thursday this past week. We were really impressed. A smooth quiet ride, seemed like it had plenty of power reserved if you really stepped on it. The family said there was plenty of leg room in the back. I'm 6'2"-ish and had enough head room to be comfortable with the moon roof, and my wife of 5'10" was sitting behind me with plenty of knee room. All in all I think it's going to be a great vehicle, can't wait til ours shows up!

Enjoy the manuals!

For the navigaion, just read the MKS nav manual. The 2010 Fusion is using the same system.

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/cont...2/09ngnsn2e.pdf

Everybody's tastes differ -- but since I drive a lot in the dark and I view black as difficult to see in the dark, I did not consider black (which is very good-looking, in my opinion) when I ordered. Initially, I asked for silver, but the very same day I was on the freeway and virtually every car around me was silver. I called the dealership back and changed the order to light blue. I like how it looks so far. B)

That was my dilemma too. My dealer had a black hybrid on stock order which I would probably already be driving if I'd wanted it.

I think black cars do look sharp when they're clean. But in addition to being difficult to see at night, black is really difficult to keep clean looking, and that would drive me crazy after awhile. I've also found that scratches show up really prominently on black vehicles. And on top of that, I live in Texas, and the summer sun would turn it into a furnace. I probably should have ordered white or ice blue, but I fell for the sterling gray, so I hope it doesn't absorb too much heat.

• 2 weeks later...

when i took a fusion hybrid out for a cruse the acceleration seemed to be quite good. not quite as quick as my v6 but it could probably run close.

Agree with you there....quite good, but didn't have the snap of my 2006 V6 Fusion.....curious about one thing...did you see any Milans? I saw them both and I am leaning way hard to the Milan....the front end styling is more "conservative upscale"...not dinging on the new three bar look, just I seem to be inclined to like the lines of the Mercury more.....

Edited by twintornados

Well, it's now a thousand miles with the Hybrid for me now. (Well, 1100, but since my commute is 160 miles roundtrip, I can't exactly stop at the 1000-mile point and write thoughts. ;)) Here are some thoughts of mine:

1. Mileage is great -- although so far not quite what Ford/EPA promised. (35.4 "long term" right now, which I think is based on the last 1000 miles -- in other words, nearly the lifetime of this car so far.) Given that that is an over 40% improvement over my old Lincoln LS V6, I'm happy, particularly since I don't consider myself a hypermiler at all, and I have the A/C on all the time.

2. Related matter -- as I've said before but will say again -- anyone who says that driving a hybrid is no fun has never driven a Fusion Hybrid. At least, it's fun for me to see, at one point during my drive home today, 19 or 20 leaves. :shades:

3. Related matter -- mileage gets a lot worse when there are heavy winds, it appears. Today, in near calmness on a fairly hot day here in California (see above with the A/C), I think I averaged about 39-40 MPG for my commute for the day, whereas so far my worst day was on a day with very, very heavy winds.

4. BLIS is wonderful -- and it's one of those features that, once you've gotten accustomed to it, you wish that every car around you would have.

5. Ride's comfortable, but this is no Lincoln. Still, it's comfortable enough for me. Certainly it's no Focus either.

6. One of those features that I wasn't even aware of when I ordered it, and which I am now highly appreciative, is the Jukebox. Again, it's easy to operate, and it probably makes, as far as I'm concerned, an MP3 player unnecessary. This also means that I'm pondering whether to give up on the idea of the 3rd generation iPhone (it is while waiting for it that I am, for now, foregoing getting another Bluetooth phone -- my current phone has no Bluetooth capability, and thus I haven't had the chance to try out SYNC's phone features) and the attendant force-switch to AT&T and simply get a relatively less-flashy phone with Verizon. Still pondering.

7. I am still pondering, but my guess is that I won't renew the Sirius TravelLink, for two different reasons: so far, I've found the Sirius satellite radio programming to be not particularly good (and the TravelLink is only orderable when you order a Sirius satellite package, not orderable separately), and most of TravelLink's features are not usable anyway while the car is being moved -- even when using voice recognition, which renders it less useful. The traffic alerts also don't appear to be that useful to me.

8. The only thing that has gone wrong so far is that, on one occasion, the car threw a warning light of "sensor blocked, BLIS disabled" or some similar wording. I stopped the car and looked at the locations of where I think the BLIS sensors are and saw no problems. Restarted the car, and the warning was no longer there. When I called the service people at the dealership, they said that since it went away, there would be nothing for them to diagnose anyway. So far, it hasn't returned.

Overall -- this may still be within the honeymoon period, but so far I love this car. Toyota had previously advertised the Camry Hybrid as a no-compromises hybrid, but the Fusion Hybrid does everything better, I think. Certainly I'm see nothing so far that is making me regret this purchase.

nelsonlu

Thanks for taking the time to write comments again on your car, the 1000 mile mark is an important one! While I am patiently waiting as many others, it is good to see impartial discussions like yours come up, it makes the wait worth it! My confirmed build date is 4/23, we'll see if that happens, meanwhile, keep the posts up, good or bad-

Edited by LIGHTNING_KID

7. I am still pondering, but my guess is that I won't renew the Sirius TravelLink, for two different reasons: so far, I've found the Sirius satellite radio programming to be not particularly good (and the TravelLink is only orderable when you order a Sirius satellite package, not orderable separately), and most of TravelLink's features are not usable anyway while the car is being moved -- even when using voice recognition, which renders it less useful. The traffic alerts also don't appear to be that useful to me.

Sirius is bad isn't it? I've said it a million times and I always get blown apart by everyone, now I have a fellow disbeliever. The Sirius fanboys will not let you get a word in otherwise, and most of them have not had XM for more than a minute. I tried to be a Sirius guy, tried for nearly 6 months since it was free, just could not find stations that I was comfortable with and could listen too for more than 1 song. The crappiness of Sirius is leaking over to XM, the variety station I couldn't stand "The Pulse" made its way over.

I added XM to our 08 and will to the hybrid too. One of the only things the "General" got right, XM.