new mercury capri concept coming

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sup,

Maybe Ford should entertain the Miata. If they could get the chassis they should make that the Capri.

Actually, I have long been under the opinion that a stretched MX-5 chassis, combined with a 2.0L EcoBoost, would make a truly kick-ass Thunderbird, allowing Ford to return to that car's roots, whereas Chevy had gone astray by turning their Corvette (with which the T-bird was originally designed to compete with) into a knuckle-dragging 2-seat muscle car.

Some excellent road handling and MODERN style with a few retro cues here and there (unlike that abomination Ford tried to sell back in 2000), and Ford can have a hot little sports car on their hands.

I agree, I have often wondered why Ford hasn't done something else off the Miata/MX5 platform. Do we know if this is Focus based. I believe that as the Mustang keeps increasing in price, this could possibly slot under it as a Scion tC alternative. Ford doesn't have a serious coupe under the Mustang (I'm not counting the Focus Coupe), whether they resurrect the Tbird name would be nice if it were a RWD offering. They can use Capri if it's a Mercury, and they can use Probe again if it's a Ford for all I care. But I do think there is a market for a personal coupe under $22K

I agree, I have often wondered why Ford hasn't done something else off the Miata/MX5 platform. Do we know if this is Focus based. I believe that as the Mustang keeps increasing in price, this could possibly slot under it as a Scion tC alternative. Ford doesn't have a serious coupe under the Mustang (I'm not counting the Focus Coupe), whether they resurrect the Tbird name would be nice if it were a RWD offering. They can use Capri if it's a Mercury, and they can use Probe again if it's a Ford for all I care. But I do think there is a market for a personal coupe under $22K

I agree except for the price. A Thunderbird really should be a 'Luxury Personal Car' in 2 seat roadster configuration (RWD).

It should start a few $K over the Mustang Line... and be intended for theose who have arrived. Can you imagine the bling a Lincoln variant would have? The Miata might be too small a chassis to make it comfortable however.

A Mercury Capri twin would sound nice too, but I don't know how it would sell... especially after what happened to Saturn yesterday. People might be *very* adverse to buying from a corporation's 3rd/4th tier product line.

Edited by joihan777

I agree except for the price. A Thunderbird really should be a 'Luxury Personal Car' in 2 seat roadster configuration (RWD).

It should start a few $K over the Mustang Line... and be intended for theose who have arrived. Can you imagine the bling a Lincoln variant would have? The Miata might be too small a chassis to make it comfortable however.

A Mercury Capri twin would sound nice too, but I don't know how it would sell... especially after what happened to Saturn yesterday. People might be *very* adverse to buying from a corporation's 3rd/4th tier product line.

Here ya go:

thunderbird3.jpg

mkc-12.jpg

...A Mercury Capri twin would sound nice too, but I don't know how it would sell... especially after what happened to Saturn yesterday. People might be *very* adverse to buying from a corporation's 3rd/4th tier product line.

this makes me hope for two thing

- that Fomoco will feel some pressure to offer proof of their plan for Mercury

- that their plan isn't a hopelessly misguided one to kill the "Ace up their sleeve"

Edited by 2b2

this makes me hope for two thing

- that Fomoco will feel some pressure to offer proof of their plan for Mercury

- that their plan isn't a hopelessly misguided one to kill the "Ace up their sleeve"

[/quote

I dont see how Saturn compares to Mercury, saturn in mind is a fly by night car company.

I dont see how Saturn compares to Mercury, saturn in mind is a fly by night car company.

Oh it doesn't - Not At ALL

no heritage, not premium, & definitely nowhere near as important to GM (Mercury is the HEART of F-M-L after all)

but

as joihan said - to uninformed consumers (& considering Fomoco's lack of DEMONSTRATED support), they could feel less confident about purchasing a Merc

I still think any coupe or convertible model released by Mercury MUST be called Cougar...it has by far more name recognition. Imagine how many more sales the Fusion and Milan would have had if they had been named Taurus and Sable from the start. But oh well, that train has left the station...and Fusion and Milan are at least good names. Capri, on the other hand, is a kind of pants...not a name for a car. That does not mean that previous Capri's were bad cars, but the name is terrible.

My (reasonably) preferred lineup for Mercury is....

Mystique: C-4door (Focus)

Milan: CD-4door (Fusion)

Cougar: 2dr & or Hard top convertible (Capri or Focus CC)

Messenger: B sized CUV (B-Max)

Mariner: C sized CUV (Escape/Kuga)

Monterey: Mini-Minivan (Grand C-Max)

This would give the brand a variety of vehicles, 3 of which (Cougar, Messenger, Monterey) do not exist in Ford NA showrooms but are already paid for in Europe).

Fusion and Milan are at least good names. Capri, on the other hand, is a kind of pants...not a name for a car.

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

BINGO!

My (reasonably) preferred lineup for Mercury is....

Mystique: C-4door (Focus)

Milan: CD-4door (Fusion)

Cougar: 2dr & or Hard top convertible (Capri or Focus CC)

Messenger: B sized CUV (B-Max)

Mariner: C sized CUV (Escape/Kuga)

Monterey: Mini-Minivan (Grand C-Max)

This would give the brand a variety of vehicles, 3 of which (Cougar, Messenger, Monterey) do not exist in Ford NA showrooms but are already paid for in Europe).

I at least agree with you on the Monterey. It wasn't around long enough for most people to associate anything with it. The Grand C-Max looks like it's going to be a perfect 1st/ 2nd family car and the name Monterey is great for it. One associates beautiful scenery, holiday travels in an upscale environment, smart, wonderful seafood... it's just a fantastic name Ford would do well to utilize. The Grand C-Max may have a new name here!

But sorry, the COugar must be a Mustang derivitave... there are too many Mercury Cougars still surviving all hopped up and terrorizing the urban streets for it not to.

I prefer the Capri be some sort of cute **chic-ish** type of car. (Sorry to my female friends, but please bear with me)

Maybe a Mercury Capri derived from the Fiesta? The Mercury would then get the electric version first?

Edited by joihan777

...The Mercury would then get the electric version first?

I wish they let Mercury take "Leadership" (not exclusivity) in ECO technology

...since Merc has such a limited lineup, it shouldn't be hard :angry:

afterall when it's down to Milan & Mariner, they both already have hybrid models

so if the Focus-based sedan does too = every Merc can be had as a hybrid

and

be heavily advertised as such = the Only All Hybrid lineup! :D

...if Merc got the FocusCabrio as the Capri - - are there any other hybrid convertibles?

or could Merc actually be the first?

Edited by 2b2

I wish they let Mercury take "Leadership" (not exclusivity) in ECO technology

...since Merc has such a limited lineup, it shouldn't be hard :angry:

afterall when it's down to Milan & Mariner, they both already have hybrid models

so if the Focus-based sedan does too = every Merc can be had as a hybrid

and

be heavily advertised as such = the Only All Hybrid lineup! :D

...if Merc got the FocusCabrio as the Capri - - are there any other hybrid convertibles?

or could Merc actually be the first?

interesting thought about a Mercury convertible hybrid....no, I don't believe there's a convertible hybrid...I wonder how one would sell?