Is the Kuga officially coming to the USA?

JimmyL57

Yes, the next-gen Kuga and Escape/Mariner will be one vehicle, with probably some region specific alterations, but not many. My guess is it will have an all I4 lineup, with a base 2.5 or 1.6 I4 making 175-200hp with a 2.0I4 EcoBoost making 260-275 hp as well as the hybrid. A Lincoln variant, to compete with the RDX will also be made, but with completely unique styling inside and out. Although, the Mariner name may be put on the next-gen Focus C-MAX when it is brought here.

Yes, the next-gen Kuga and Escape/Mariner will be one vehicle, with probably some region specific alterations, but not many. My guess is it will have an all I4 lineup, with a base 2.5 or 1.6 I4 making 175-200hp with a 2.0I4 EcoBoost making 260-275 hp as well as the hybrid. A Lincoln variant, to compete with the RDX will also be made, but with completely unique styling inside and out. Although, the Mariner name may be put on the next-gen Focus C-MAX when it is brought here.

i sure hope we never see the c max/s max i think there horrible looking.

i sure hope we never see the c max/s max i think there horrible looking.

I really *like(d)* the S-Max...

...only 2 things need to happen to update/perfect it:

- smooth out the styling somewhat, all those sharp edges are rather dated

- get that oval logo off of what definitely has to be one of the most 'MERC' of all Mercurys (...can't blame the poor, deprived Europeans ...tho it could be worse; Canadians get NEITHER Mercs NOR S-Maxeseses :( )

• 1 month later...
Wescoent and the fact the platform cant handle V6s.

The current Kuga, can handle the I-5 and I believe the I-6.

There will be a redesign before coming to the US. Normally it would get any design changes to make a V-6 possible.

Depending on how brave Ford planners are, and on their engine development plans, it is possible that they forgo that change. If EcoBoost turns out to be a failure the way that the CVT transmission turned out to be a failure, then the Kuga could be a costly mistake.

The current Kuga, can handle the I-5 and I believe the I-6.

There will be a redesign before coming to the US. Normally it would get any design changes to make a V-6 possible.

Depending on how brave Ford planners are, and on their engine development plans, it is possible that they forgo that change. If EcoBoost turns out to be a failure the way that the CVT transmission turned out to be a failure, then the Kuga could be a costly mistake.

Correct it can handle an I5 but the compartment is to small for any I6. And the MY12 Escape is just a facelift of the current Kuga. And the great thing about that is, three years after the all new MY12 Escape, we will get another all new Escape. :stirpot:

Correct it can handle an I5 but the compartment is to small for any I6. And the MY12 Escape is just a facelift of the current Kuga. And the great thing about that is, three years after the all new MY12 Escape, we will get another all new Escape. :stirpot:

Will all Ford Escapes (including the Asia-Pacific Escape) be replaced by the facelifted 2012MY Kuga?

The Asia-Pacific Ford Escape was given a Kinetic Design facelift last year, if this is the direction they are going, they might as well bring in the Kuga to the Asia-Pacific markets.

Asia-Pacific Ford Escape

2009escapexltfront.jpg

Edited by AM2

The I-6 is only 1 mm longer than the old I-5. The new I-5 should very much shorter than the old I-5. The I-6 is not used because it is too expensive. It would not be smart to make the Kuga just a little too small to fit the I-6. IMHO, if it is too small to fit the I-6, it would not be hard to make it fit.

I imagine the next Escape will be based off the Kuga platform, but look something like the present Escape with its small SUV look as opposed to the more smoothed out CUV look. Ford would be smart to do this since most who buy the present Escape prefer the SUV look over the more CUV look most of the competitors use. The Escape looks more capable and a better tower because of its more rugged look even if it's not.

I imagine the next Escape will be based off the Kuga platform, but look something like the present Escape with its small SUV look as opposed to the more smoothed out CUV look. Ford would be smart to do this since most who buy the present Escape prefer the SUV look over the more CUV look most of the competitors use. The Escape looks more capable and a better tower because of its more rugged look even if it's not.

A thinking man !

Escape and Kuga are aimed at 2 different groups of buyers! Why not make them both happy, especially if you can use the same platform and you have flexible manufacturing capabilities !!

Will all Ford Escapes (including the Asia-Pacific Escape) be replaced by the facelifted 2012MY Kuga?

The Asia-Pacific Ford Escape was given a Kinetic Design facelift last year, if this is the direction they are going, they might as well bring in the Kuga to the Asia-Pacific markets.

Asia-Pacific Ford Escape

2009escapexltfront.jpg

Probably, remember One-Ford. only thing that tells me otherwise is that both are sold together in Russia, infact the escape went on sale after the Kuga. But Ford sells the Fusion and mondeo together in the ME so i dont think it would be a problem. I suspect the Asia=Pacific model will be built in the Philippines as it is now or at Campbellfield in Aust.

A thinking man !

Escape and Kuga are aimed at 2 different groups of buyers! Why not make them both happy, especially if you can use the same platform and you have flexible manufacturing capabilities !!

Building 2 different compact crossovers isnt profitable enough for Mulally.

A thinking man !

That's what I think. Make the Escape designed to beat the Rav4. Make the Kuga designed to beat the CRV.

If you think the Escape is a CUV, then you must also think the Explorer is unnecessary as the Flex/Edge fills that niche.

And tens of thousands of customers would disagree with you on both !

Good point.

I am assuming that we will be getting the next generation C-Max as well. That make 3 CUV's. I would say make the C-Max look like the current Kuga but with 7 seats and make the Kuga look much more like a cross between the current Kuga and the Escape. This was the fast growing market, maybe build all three.

If you think the Escape is a CUV, then you must also think the Explorer is unnecessary as the Flex/Edge fills that niche.

And tens of thousands of customers would disagree with you on both !

Everest could take the SUV-looking buyers, Escape/Kuga can take the crossover looking buyers.

Besides the last Escape didnt have truck styling so who says they have to keep it with truck styling this time.

Besides the last Escape didnt have truck styling so who says they have to keep it with truck styling this time.

I completely disagree with this statement. I have driven both the previous generation (2006-7) and the current generation (2009). The styling changes between the 2 are minor. The new 4cylinder (2.5L) and 6 speed automatic (6F35) are awesome !

Every person I know who owns an Escape would consider it a SUV and not a CUV.

Again, the point of flexible manufacturing is to give the customer choices. Escape, Kuga, C-Max. Each is unique. Let the customer decide !

As I said over on GMI - I own an Escape. If I needed to replace it tomorrow I would get another Escape. If the Escape looks like a Kuga I will buy a different vehicle - If I wanted a CX-7 or RAV4 that's what I would have bought. Ford risks alienating it's current small SUV buyers. I wish the new Explorer were closer in size to the first gen Explorer, which would make it a logical step up for someone who wants SUV styling.

There is nothing indicating Everest is coming here, nor is that a logical vehicle for someone to buy in lieu of an Escape.