GM to release names of closing dealers

TomServo92

To add, something I've noticed from the local GM dealers that have closed...It's been the Ma and Pa ones for the most part, but mainly the ones that have, hmm how do I describe it... a "down home" sort of marketing campaign. You know, the ones where its the owner, and he's showing off his grand daughter, or other family members I care nothing about. Where they are trying to make something feel all warm, fuzzy and cute, "and this is my beautiful daughter in this new Pontiac GXP _____" where i'm thinking (Uh huh, you keep living in the island of dellusion, poor girl is probably servicing guys at a local public bathroom in a park)...

I mean granted, this tactic is much better than the ones where they have some female on a bikini spread on the hood of a car, or the one where a good'ol boy is jumping on top of a truck bed talking about how strong it is (probably for his gun rack)...

But yes, that is something I have been noticing with the select dealer closings...It's the one where their marketing is not corporate, or professional, or has class and finesse...

Maybe they are telling the customer something....

People always say 'save the Ma and Pa stores', on thier way to WalMart to save $$$.

Or, when spending their $$, will not want to try those 'fly by night places' and go to a safe chain joint.

Not me. I bought my Fusion from a small country dealer and I patronize the local restuarants before I'll eat at the chains. We also try to buy our groceries from a local chain instead of Walmart.

not meant you, just in general.

Here in Chicago, neighborhoods are dying for national grocerers to come in. The "Ma an Pa" shops sell overpriced crappy food. Sometimes going to a chain ensures quality. The only Wal-Mart in the city is called a 'godsend' by locals, and it sells products from local vendors. So all isnt 'evil' with large companies.

Restaurants rely on word of mouth, and many come and go every few months. But, if a chain fails, they deserved it, also.

I got car from a big dealer with no BS added. Small dealers end up having to get cars from big dealers anyway, so they still get $$$. Dealers are crying, but many car buyers lost $$$ with bad deals. So, it's payback time

not meant you, just in general.

Here in Chicago, neighborhoods are dying for national grocerers to come in. The "Ma an Pa" shops sell overpriced crappy food. Sometimes going to a chain ensures quality. The only Wal-Mart in the city is called a 'godsend' by locals, and it sells products from local vendors. So all isnt 'evil' with large companies.

Restaurants rely on word of mouth, and many come and go every few months. But, if a chain fails, they deserved it, also.

I got car from a big dealer with no BS added. Small dealers end up having to get cars from big dealers anyway, so they still get $$$. Dealers are crying, but many car buyers lost $$$ with bad deals. So, it's payback time

Oh I know. I was just commenting that I try to support the "Ma and Pa" stores when I can.

I find the mom&pop dealerships to be much more welcoming and relaxed to deal with than the mega-advertising, "we'll pay off your trade no matter how much you owe," volume places. Just a few years back my father drove 2 hrs. away past at least 3 Dodge/Chrysler dealers in order to buy from an owner/operator Chrysler Dodge dealer/service station that kept around 4 vehicles on the lot at any given time. A throwback to days gone by with hardwood floors in the showroom that fit just one car. He closed down the dealership when family health concerns came up, but he still keeps the service stations going.

I fear that closing down a lot of the more rural and smaller stores will lead to decreased sales for Chrysler & GM because it's precisely the rural and small-town population that holds tightest to the drive American ideal (except for UAW workers of course). If the hometown brands are gone and they have to drive an hour into a large market, it becomes much easier to check out the Toyotas, Hondas, and other brands that locate there. Also, service is another issue some people have held as a reason to stick with the local (American) dealers versus the import brands. When there's a problem, no one wants to drive (or have the car towed) an extra hour each way to get it fixed.

It has been my experience that these dealerships are as well-informed and competitive in pricing as the high volume places, and it's a shame that so many will gone to the wayside in the next couple of years. While I will not be in the market for a new vehicle for at least a couple of years, I plan to give the dealership back in my hometown and any other small market place a chance before I head to a chain establishment.

I realize the market and demand has shifted to people wanting to go out and buy a car right off the lot as soon as they decide to get a new car, but it's a great feeling when you special order your car, go through the whole order book with the salesman and get exactly what you want a few weeks or months later.

Livonia, MI, a city of about 100,000, and a suburb of Detroit, is losing three of its five dealerships all of which are on Plymouth, Rd., the main commercial artery of Livonia. The three are Livonia Chrylser/Jeep, Tennyson Chevrolet, and John Rogin Buick. The two left are Bill Brown Ford and Ralph Thayer VW that also sells Mazda and Hyundai. Livonia city hall is livid over the news of the closings. A city of 100,000 with only two dealerships left. Never would have believed that a few years ago. Little Plymouth, a town of 7,000 people has four......Victory Honda, Jeanotte Buick, Pontiac, GMC, Blackwell Ford, and Lou Lariche Chevrolet. Of course you have to include Plymouth Township with 36,000 people, but still much smaller than Livonia. GM Powertrain of Livonia is also being closed. Livonia is the big loser so far. A big big loser.

I wonder how the loss of Pontiac impacted the Buick-Pontiac-GMC system GM put in place?

I'm lead to believe there are very few stand alone Pontiac dealers if any.

Those that don't have a second GM franchise more than likely have a different brand they sell as well.

Those that don't have a second GM franchise more than likely have a different brand they sell as well.

I think most were consolidated into the BPG dealers. That is an interesting question, though, Roadrunner. I'm thinking that with an improved lineup, GM is hoping Buick will make up for the lost Pontiac sales. Buick already has the Enclave, and the new LaCrosse is on the way. Now, whether that happens, we'll see....

It was originally reported that there were only 26 or 27 stand alone Pontiac dealerships. In later reports, GM officials stated that there are "about 35" Pontiac-only dealerships.