Supercharged Coyote V8 Spied in 2010 Falcon GT?

superchargedfpvgtho.jpg

LINK

A deafening whine made the ears of our spy photographer prick up, that deafening whine was the sound of a supercharged V8 Falcon.

...... insiders have told CarAdvice that Ford Australia will use a US-sourced 5.0-litre V8. Featuring 32-valves and an aluminium block, the engine will be significantly lighter than the current offering.

The best news of all though is that we believe FPV is strapping a supercharger to the engine to give it the extra kick in the pants needed.

Although Ford are being very cagey about the work on the new engine, our spy photographer says that this thing was fast, very fast. It accelerated from a standing start not far from where he was and he said that not only was the supercharger whine loud, the acceleration was phenomenal.

Let's hope there's parallel V8 engine developments on Falcon and Mustang for both sides of the pacific...........

superchargedfpvgtho.jpg

LINK

Let's hope there's parallel V8 engine developments on Falcon and Mustang for both sides of the pacific...........

Wouldn't it seem a bit odd that it would be supercharged and not use EcoBoost technology instead? I wonder if that wasn't turbo whine the intrepid photographer was hearing? Either way I hope this replaces the 5.4 SC in our GT500 for 2011.

Wouldn't it seem a bit odd that it would be supercharged and not use EcoBoost technology instead? I wonder if that wasn't turbo whine the intrepid photographer was hearing? Either way I hope this replaces the 5.4 SC in our GT500 for 2011.

There's many turbocharged Falcons down here and I'm pretty sure these

guys know the difference between a Turbo and a supercharger whine.

Supercharging makes better sense on the V8 in terms of more compact packaging,

I hope some more details start emerging soon, maybe someone will spill the beans

now that photos are out and engines are in cars.....

They can't keep saying no to the Falcon, it just keeps jumping further than the Taurus,

FoA are even contemplating AWD................

Edited by jpd80

Supercharging makes better sense on the V8 in terms of more compact packaging,

I hope some more details start emerging soon, maybe someone will spill the beans

now that photos are out and engines are in cars.....

I have to agree with you, a Twin Turbo V8 in a Mustang is a bit overkill unless they want to charge 60K for it or more. Would be neat, but also would could be stupid powerful for every day use...you'd be able to put out well over 700HP with some tuning...

Turbos need more piping which takes up alot of space.

I have to agree with you, a Twin Turbo V8 in a Mustang is a bit overkill unless they want to charge 60K for it or more. Would be neat, but also would could be stupid powerful for every day use...you'd be able to put out well over 700HP with some tuning...

Definitely replaces the 5.4 S/C and still most likely restricted to high end applications.

I was speaking about a Twin Turbo 5L

OK, but that doesn't mean you won't get one either.

EX FoA CEO Bill Osbourne indicated last year the company hadn't decided on S/C or Turbos,

maybe FoA uses easy to build Supercharged engines while FNA uses Ecoboost for F truck and 'stang?

OK, but that doesn't mean you won't get one either.

EX FoA CEO Bill Osbourne indicated last year the company hadn't decided on S/C or Turbos,

maybe FoA uses easy to build Supercharged engines while FNA uses Ecoboost for F truck and 'stang?

I lean towards a 5.0 Twinforce to replace the GT500's powertrain...lighter, more power and probably easier on gas....3 BIG plus's

Wouldn't it seem a bit odd that it would be supercharged and not use EcoBoost technology instead?

NO !

Simply adding a supercharger or a turbocharger is much more cost effective than going the whole EcoBoost route.

I was told last year by knowledge Ford insiders, that you won't see naturally aspirated DI or EcoBoost on any V8 engines in the foreseeable future.

Of course that leaves the door wide open for PFI turbo or supercharging !

Edited by theoldwizard

NO !

Simply adding a supercharger or a turbocharger is much more cost effective than going the whole EcoBoost route.

I was told last year by knowledge Ford insiders, that you won't see naturally aspirated DI or EcoBoost on any V8 engines in the foreseeable future.

now I'm confused...what is the literal difference between Turbocharging and eco-boost.....I just thought they were the same just one had a catchy name....

now I'm confused...what is the literal difference between Turbocharging and eco-boost.....I just thought they were the same just one had a catchy name....

You can have a PFI turbo like the Aussie Falcons run or you can go the whole hog with

Ecoboost which is Direct Injection, turbocharging and Bosch proprietary engine management system.

NO !

Of course that leaves the door wide open for PFI turbo or supercharging !

Given the results of the Aussie 4.0 I-6 Turbo, good power and efficiency

gains can be had by going the simple and much cheaper PFI and turbo set up.

For a truck application you could easily stick a couple of V6 turbos on the 5.0 V8 and get a

wall of low end torque, who cares if the system runs out of puff above 5,000 rpm.

Probably find the supercharger will do much the same thing with far less plumbing...........

Edited by jpd80

You can have a PFI turbo like the Aussie Falcons run or you can go the whole hog with

Ecoboost which is Direct Injection, turbocharging and Bosch proprietary engine management system.

I have a feeling Ford will eventually have their own software as far as mangaement go's.....

thx J, that clarifies things...so maybe the 5.0 will just be called Twinforce....yehah!

I have a feeling Ford will eventually have their own software as far as mangaement go's.....

Not given the current staffing levels that they have !

Despite many issues with their new "preferred" engine control supplier (mostly behind the scenes, dealing with additional charges and late deliveries) management is firmly committed to "stay the course" (Lower management was just recent told that they could go back to writing their own software, but they would get no additional headcount, which is now about 50% of what it was 4 or 5 years ago)

Edited by theoldwizard

Not given the current staffing levels that they have !

Despite many issues with their new "preferred" engine control supplier (mostly behind the scenes, dealing with additional charges and late deliveries) management is firmly committed to "stay the course" (Lower management was just recent told that they could go back to writing their own software, but they would get no additional headcount, which is now about 50% of what it was 4 or 5 years ago)

Because of platform rationalization, there's probably going to be even less work to do.