2010 Taurus Tranmission question

I was poking around on fueleconomy.gov this morning and was checking out the 2010 Taurus, and it has two different transmissions listed for the FWD Taurus:

Automatic 6-spd, 6 cyl, 3.5 L, Regular Gasoline

Automatic (S6), 6 cyl, 3.5 L, Regular Gasoline

Anyone know with the S6 transmission is? Is that designation for the Select shift transmission? It gets 1 MPG less then the other transmission

Links don't work.

It was a copy and paste, I didn't try linking it

fueleconomy.gov

It's probably the slightly beefed up SHO transmission.

Nope they are both FWD only, the AWD transmissions are broken out separately on the website.

The ID numbers for the 2010 taurus transmissions are 6F50 and 6F55. The 09 Taurus has the same 6F50. The 6F55 is new for 2010. I can't locate the exact documents, but I am pretty sure the 6F55 is for the SHO. The select shift is nothing more than basicaly controling solenoids in the valve body. I would bet that the 6F55 is for more torque. If I can find the supporting documents. Unless some insider here has more info, I will try and find the exact answer.

(edit)

Ok just found some info.

Stall Speed Chart

Engine/Transaxle Stall Speed

3.5L/6F50 2,100-2,600

3.5L GTDI/6F55 2,200-2,500

GTDI = Gasoline Turbo Direct Injection

I agree the two different trans on Fueleconomy.gov would be select shift. I not sure how that would make a difference in fuel economy.

Edited by fordtech1

6F55 is, indeed, a beefed-up version of the 6F50... (the 6 speed transmission designed in co-operation with General Motors)

The Select-Shift feature on the fancier series cars allows manual control (to an extent) of the gear selection.

That may be but the only one I'm positive about is the Limited. At any rate, that explains the two different transmissions.

The SEL has it (at least optional, if not standard), because the pair of SELs I saw had the SelectShift tranny w/ paddle shifters.

The SEL has it (at least optional, if not standard), because the pair of SELs I saw had the SelectShift tranny w/ paddle shifters.

SelectShift is standard on SEL, Limited, and SHO. Base 6-Speed is the only transmission that's available for the SE. Please don't ask me to get technical 'cause I only sell'em I don't fix'em LOL.

Edited by exploder48

I was poking around on fueleconomy.gov this morning and was checking out the 2010 Taurus, and it has two different transmissions listed for the FWD Taurus:

Automatic 6-spd, 6 cyl, 3.5 L, Regular Gasoline

Automatic (S6), 6 cyl, 3.5 L, Regular Gasoline

Anyone know with the S6 transmission is? Is that designation for the Select shift transmission? It gets 1 MPG less then the other transmission

theres actually 3, SE, SEL and up and SHO...the SE in unavail with paddle shifters, and the SHO is beefed up from the SEL and Limited...

theres actually 3, SE, SEL and up and SHO...the SE in unavail with paddle shifters, and the SHO is beefed up from the SEL and Limited...

Thanks Dino, I think you're right 'cause there are some subtle software differences in the SHO transmission, regardless of the same hardware being used in the three models.

Edited by exploder48

I concur.

I think the 6F55 has different ratios than the 6F50, hence the government requirement to list it separately.

There's multiple final drive ratios in the differential, located in the transmission, depending on the trim level/model. I'm pretty sure it's as simple as that.