Ford Industrial Engines

I am hearing Ford is getting out of the industrial engine business. Quite a few Ford engines such as various 4 cylinders, the 4.2L V-6, some V-8's and even the Triton V-10 were being sold for gen. sets, air compressors, other construction and airfield equipment. No, Ford probably wasn't making a lot of money at that business, but they were in it since the Flathead days.

Ford supplies cheap gasoline engines to a market that needs diesels. I would think that the EPA will demand more emission equipment on both gasoline and diesels. Does Ford spend the money on developing better emission for these markets, or just work on cars.

Ford needs to discontinue many of their current engine sold into these markets. To stay in these markets they need to develop small diesel engines, fuel cells and batteries.

As you know, Ford has a whole range of small diesels. Fuel cells are a non-starter, as hydrogen is a problem, but possibly direct-alcohol fuel cells might work; they are used as power-packs for small fork-lifts.

Ford has small high-tech automotive engines. The industrial market might want something different. They don't need the power to weight ratio of an automotive engine. They do need engine that can run continuously at full power for days at a time while producing the best efficiency.

What I think I am saying is that there is a lot of companies that build small diesels.

I was wonder if the EcoBoost could be a low cost alternative? I am thinking of 3 and 4 cylinder versions?

Edited by battyr

As you know, Ford has a whole range of small diesels. Fuel cells are a non-starter, as hydrogen is a problem, but possibly direct-alcohol fuel cells might work; they are used as power-packs for small fork-lifts.

The chief architect of Ford's hydrogen program has retired. Look for an industrial application of hydrogen fueled engines from a new company.

That website has not been updated since April of '05. I herad from an OEM user of Ford industrial engines that Ford has stopped shipping and is not taking orders. I wonder if it is true or not.

Site design is from the 'early Javascript' era of the internet. I'd say the overall design is 10 years old, give or take. I suppose the easy way to find out if they're still in business is by calling them.

BTW: I posted that link as an FYI. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Ford's getting out of the business--at least on a 'walk-up' basis.

Who was the guy that retired from ford 2-3 years ago and bought the blueprints/rights to the 300? He's now making gen sets with both 300 sixes and a 3 cyl version.

Tried googling it but can't find it. The company (internet site) had green as the company colour. (like ford is blue) Gas/propane/lng

I was on there about 2 years ago researching an engine for a guys project truck I was helping with.(wanted propane with turbo 300)

I'll keep looking.....bullpup? mule? crap, something like that.....

They did- the 300 six was bullet proof. I do believe most of the airport baggage cart tractors are still 300's.

Bob, the Falcon I-6 has been looked at as an industrial engine for the past few years.

It's now as torquey as the old 300 and boasts both PFI gasoline and Liquid Injected Propane set ups.

Ford's fast track to China

Edited by jpd80

Who was the guy that retired from ford 2-3 years ago and bought the blueprints/rights to the 300? He's now making gen sets with both 300 sixes and a 3 cyl version.

Tried googling it but can't find it. The company (internet site) had green as the company colour. (like ford is blue) Gas/propane/lng

I was on there about 2 years ago researching an engine for a guys project truck I was helping with.(wanted propane with turbo 300)

I'll keep looking.....bullpup? mule? crap, something like that.....

Oxx? You talking about these guys?:

http://www.hydrogenenginecenter.com/aspx/p...ts/engines.aspx