Production MkC gains bumper.

Slap a Lincoln grille on a roller skate and you've got an awesome 1/24 scale replica of that hideously foul bolus of partially digested bad idea.

First thing I thought when I saw it in person. They should sell these in pairs...tie one to each foot...head to skating rink...

Can we get a good photoshop from someone?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One word response to that: Fiesta

FE requirements are per company, not per brand.

And the 'German exception' is disgusting.

With the ramp up in CAFE, Ford will have to sell many many Fiestas to cover the V8 Mustangs, heavy CUVs, and Lincolns they may want to sell. Even with ecoboost and whatever else. I heard the same type of complaints back around 84 about the car that was to be the Taurus - too radical, it will fail, nobody wants a car that looks like that. You never move ahead without taking a risk. I do not expect a small Lincoln to come out exactly like the Concept C, but to me and others, the design is interesting. And there will be small luxury cars made. Should Ford close the door before even looking out the peephole? Ignore something that might be profitable? Do not get into a lather over it.

With the ramp up in CAFE, Ford will have to sell many many Fiestas to cover the V8 Mustangs, heavy CUVs, and Lincolns they may want to sell. Even with ecoboost and whatever else. I heard the same type of complaints back around 84 about the car that was to be the Taurus - too radical, it will fail, nobody wants a car that looks like that. You never move ahead without taking a risk. I do not expect a small Lincoln to come out exactly like the Concept C, but to me and others, the design is interesting. And there will be small luxury cars made. Should Ford close the door before even looking out the peephole? Ignore something that might be profitable? Do not get into a lather over it.

I have to agree with you, I like the MKC for the most part, not too keen on the bubble butt but I'll have to see what it looks like in person.

Dare I say the MkC looks better then the ATS photoshop over on the competition board!

CUVs, as per current standards, will be lumped in with trucks and subject to lower MPG requirements. Not to mention that the 4-cylinder Fusion is currently sitting at c. 35MPG per CAFE measurements.

Furthermore, the Taurus was two things the MKC is not:

- It was a REPLACEMENT for the LTD--it was not an attempt to push a Ford brand into some strange new market and price space (cf.: Mercury Capri, Merkur XR4Ti, Scorpio, XType, etc.)

- It was a volume product.

The MKC is a niche product. And, as such would at best sell in niche volume. No squatty pint sized midgetcar from BMW or Benz has ever sold better than its 'true' entry level stablemate. The MKC wouldn't outsell the MKZ, and IMO, wouldn't even come close to meeting whatever modest expectations Ford would have for it. This thing is as useless as the Blackwood and at least five or six times as ugly. Cargo space for four passengers? Only if you're going no farther than Starbucks.

As far as looking out the peephole is concerned, my guess is they didn't like what they saw. that's why they allowed a guy with a cellphone into that part of the studio instead of confiscating it and making him sign an NDA.

Edited by RichardJensen

CUVs, as per current standards, will be lumped in with trucks and subject to lower MPG requirements. Not to mention that the 4-cylinder Fusion is currently sitting at c. 35MPG per CAFE measurements.

Furthermore, the Taurus was two things the MKC is not:

- It was a REPLACEMENT for the LTD--it was not an attempt to push a Ford brand into some strange new market and price space (cf.: Mercury Capri, Merkur XR4Ti, Scorpio, XType, etc.)

- It was a volume product.

The MKC is a niche product. And, as such would at best sell in niche volume. No squatty pint sized midgetcar from BMW or Benz has ever sold better than its 'true' entry level stablemate. The MKC wouldn't outsell the MKZ, and IMO, wouldn't even come close to meeting whatever modest expectations Ford would have for it. This thing is as useless as the Blackwood and at least five or six times as ugly. Cargo space for four passengers? Only if you're going no farther than Starbucks.

As far as looking out the peephole is concerned, my guess is they didn't like what they saw. that's why they allowed a guy with a cellphone into that part of the studio instead of confiscating it and making him sign an NDA.

theres one particular fly in the "niche" statement and squatty midgetcar quip....and it outsells BMW's 1 series substantially....there IS a market Rich, just depends on how well it is adressed and timing I guess.....the "Mini" was embraced from day one...the MKC obviusly will not sell in those types of numbers, BUT, whos to say its "uniqueness" will NOT be embraced to an extent....at least it is recognizably differerent from mainstream....which can be good or bad...

theres one particular fly in the "niche" statement and squatty midgetcar quip....and it outsells BMW's 1 series substantially....there IS a market Rich, just depends on how well it is adressed and timing I guess.....the "Mini" was embraced from day one...the MKC obviusly will not sell in those types of numbers, BUT, whos to say its "uniqueness" will NOT be embraced to an extent....at least it is recognizably differerent from mainstream....which can be good or bad...

"Uniqueness" is fine (Flex). Ugliness is not (MKC's rear hump thing).

Although I don't think it'll sell well, I'm not necessarily opposed to an MKC-type vehicle. I just hate the hump on the rear - get rid of that, and I'd be fine with the MKC.

Edited by rmc523

"Uniqueness" is fine (Flex). Ugliness is not (MKC's rear hump thing).

Although I don't think it'll sell well, I'm not necessarily opposed to an MKC-type vehicle. I just hate the hump on the rear - get rid of that, and I'd be fine with the MKC.

Like the front and the profile...the bustle back whilst not ugly in my eyes could be more integrated and refined....but I do like the fact the design stands out from the crowd.....no more 500's please.

The Mini is not a luxury car.

but ugliness is most definitely in the eye of the beholder....Baby Got Back! I like big BUTTS and I dunno why............

This is true.

Like the front and the profile...the bustle back whilst not ugly in my eyes could be more integrated and refined....but I do like the fact the design stands out from the crowd.....no more 500's please.

Ok then, it could be more integrated, I can agree with that....maybe I'll play with a chop....

The Mini is not a luxury car.

Agreed, I sat in a Clubman once.....I thought they were nicer than that...

Edited by rmc523

Thank you, thank you very much. that is exactly my point. If it's not a luxury car, keep the Lincoln badge off it.

It's just that simple.

Something less castrophically rear-ended with a Ford badge and face would please me no end.

not sure I would say Lincoln is true luxury, high end pretensions yes, and they NEED a smaller car for the lineup, and I like the way this shares NOTHING with Ford....I applaud origionality...with some refinement this could pretty exciting...rear end right now is a little bulbous...just needs smoothing....basic overall design looks pretty solid.

not sure I would say Lincoln is true luxury, high end pretensions yes, and they NEED a smaller car for the lineup, and I like the way this shares NOTHING with Ford....I applaud origionality...with some refinement this could pretty exciting...rear end right now is a little bulbous...just needs smoothing....basic overall design looks pretty solid.

Oh that's ridiculous. Lincoln is a luxury car. Just because it has electronic controls you can use, quality that you can depend on, and a suspension that doesn't loosen your fillings in order to provide functionality that you'll never use......

Secondly, this snorful and hideous abomination shares as much with the Focus as the MKT does with the Flex.

Finally, the Edsel was original--name was original, face was original, features were original--------------how well did that work out? And that Citroen? It don't matter if YOU like it, if you can't find tens of thousands of people (with money) who agree with you.

Oh that's ridiculous. Lincoln is a luxury car. Just because it has electronic controls you can use, quality that you can depend on, and a suspension that doesn't loosen your fillings in order to provide functionality that you'll never use......

Secondly, this snorful and hideous abomination shares as much with the Focus as the MKT does with the Flex.

Finally, the Edsel was original--name was original, face was original, features were original--------------how well did that work out? And that Citroen? It don't matter if YOU like it, if you can't find tens of thousands of people (with money) who agree with you.

I would say upper high end....I'll reserve luxury for Jaguars and other Indian....wooooops..... and the like, and I don't think Lincoln has crossed that line yet ( whatever that line t is...this is just my opinion ) So based on your "outburst" are you saying in your mind NO luxury , or pseudo luxury brand should have a small car in its lineup, or are you basing the tirade solely on your distaste for this particular stylistic experiment...and remember Rich, its JUST a concept....Secondly, 2 cvs were everywhere...especially in france of course....Thirdly...chill a little....angry today....Fourth, like i said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...whos to say you OR me is right or wrong here?

No compact Lincolns. No compact luxury car (except for the Mercedes C Class which is borderline compact sized) has ever been a long term success.

This concept is a particularly ugly example of a thoroughly questionable concept.

The Citroen GT didn't sell, and it killed Citroen in the US.

Finally, beauty may be in the eye of the beholder, but that's an irresponsible way to run a business.

No compact Lincolns. No compact luxury car (except for the Mercedes C Class which is borderline compact sized) has ever been a long term success.

This concept is a particularly ugly example of a thoroughly questionable concept.

The Citroen GT didn't sell, and it killed Citroen in the US.

Finally, beauty may be in the eye of the beholder, but that's an irresponsible way to run a business.

Citroens problems here were two fold...quality issues and lack of dealer base for servicing...hell same thing happened to Alfa and Maserati ( until Ferrari stepped in ).........makes me wonder, was Lancia ever here?...Anyways like I said...its a concept in need of honing and refinement...i kinda like it, but it needs work,,,,I dont think you do....LOL! Remains to be seen how it will be pursued...what are your thoughts on the little Aston????? ( now THAT to me IS crazy! )

IMHO, C-size luxury will be a niche market, in high-density areas. Canadians tend to buy smaller vehicles, and in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver, C-size Mercedes, BMW and Audi sell quite well. Even the B-size Mercedes is selling. Some people want luxury, but don't need or want a barge-size S-class or even a E-class.

The question is, is this a market that Lincoln should try for? Again, it's a niche market, and will not appeal to those who feel that luxury means big.

IMHO, C-size luxury will be a niche market, in high-density areas. Canadians tend to buy smaller vehicles, and in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver, C-size Mercedes, BMW and Audi sell quite well. Even the B-size Mercedes is selling. Some people want luxury, but don't need or want a barge-size S-class or even a E-class.

The question is, is this a market that Lincoln should try for? Again, it's a niche market, and will not appeal to those who feel that luxury means big.

maybe, maybe not...the business case may be flawed, i'm just judging the styling direction. Maybe Rich is right, leave the small stuff to ford...I do know this, if I can last, and weather willing, my Fiesta will be absolutely maxed barring a manual trans....and maybe no Nav. Leather the WORKS...so i'm guessin approx 19k...remains to be seen, but that number I will be putting in my memory bank.

Citroens problems here were two fold...quality issues and lack of dealer base for servicing...hell same thing happened to Alfa and Maserati ( until Ferrari stepped in ).........makes me wonder, was Lancia ever here?...Anyways like I said...its a concept in need of honing and refinement...i kinda like it, but it needs work,,,,I dont think you do....LOL! Remains to be seen how it will be pursued...what are your thoughts on the little Aston????? ( now THAT to me IS crazy! )

Dean, you can point to one or two 'quirky' cars that have sold (e.g. Mini, original VW Beetle) only if you ignore the dozens and dozens of quirky cars that didn't (Nash Metropolitan, Rambler, Pacer, Gremlin, Citroen GT, Mercury Capri, Merkur XR4Ti, Dodge Sport Van & Lil Red Truck, Plymouth Prowler, Fox body Continental, Corvair, Buick Reatta, Karmann Ghia, Porsche 914, etc.)

If your sole marketing gimmick is 'it's quirky!', well, odds are you've got a loser on your hands. Doesn't mean it's a guaranteed failure. Just means the smart money is betting against you.

And the Cygnet is only the logical end toward which the Concept C aspires: an absolute degradation of what the brand stands for.