Chevy Equinox 4 banger gets 18mpg in test

06mariner

I knew 32 mpg was a joke in the real world ...

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/09..._take_road_test

The kind of driving done in a road test like this does not lead to highway-like fuel economy. They repeatedly click off 0-60 runs, and drive really aggressively. That said, it should have at least gotten closer to the city economy number.

The kind of driving done in a road test like this does not lead to highway-like fuel economy. They repeatedly click off 0-60 runs, and drive really aggressively. That said, it should have at least gotten closer to the city economy number.

It sounds like the sort of car that will get good gas mileage if you're not in a hurry -- letting the tall gearing do its job -- and bad mileage if you are. C/D said in its review they kept it floored all the time because they didn't think it was shifting fast enough -- I didn't feel the need to floor it once in my own test drive of the vehicle.

I know I know...still, that is WAY too far off from the numbers they are "bragging" about this SUV getting. And like they stated in the article, people that buy a small suv like this are looking for that mileage. It will be interesting to see what owners get after breaking them in ...ya know?

Gotta love GM's advertising when it comes to this vehicle....

Even better highway fuel economy than the Ford Escape Hybrid

Nevermind the fact the fact that those interested in any sort of hybrid are aware that hybrids don't do their best on the highway. Nor did that informative ad spot point out the fact that the combined rating is around 6 MPG less than that of the Escape Hybrid.

Anyhow, I think it should have been apparent from the get go that GM geared the transmission to ace fuel economy testing and nothing else (sounds like another automotive company that I hold near and dear to my heart). I can only imagine how annoying that transmission is with its tendency to pick the highest gear all the time.

Edited by Michael Reynolds

I was just thinking back to the other thread about gutless cars and tall tall tall gearing....

"How did we get such great gas mileage from the Equinox? Our patented new technology, FULL TIME OVERDRIVE

We want your life to be free of the hustle and bustle of unnecessary acceleration and our extra tall gearing will teach you the value of planning ahead to arrive on time."

Actually, the FWD 4-cyl Equinox has a 3.23 final drive which seems pretty tall for a 4-cylinder engine in a 3800lb CUV (by contrast, the Escape has a 3.51 final drive and weighs only 3400lbs)

Edited by RichardJensen

"How did we get such great gas mileage from the Equinox? Our patented new technology, FULL TIME OVERDRIVE

We want your life to be free of the hustle and bustle of unnecessary acceleration and our extra tall gearing will teach you the value of planning ahead to arrive on time."

:hysterical:

I rented 2010 Equinox 1LT FWD in Chicago recently. RichardJensen's comment about the full time overdrive feature isn't much of an exaggeration. The GM 6T/Ford 6F transmission is a perfect example of the rule more forward gears ≠ improved automatic transmission; the Aisin tranny in the previous generation Equinox offered a better driving experience (though everything else about the vehicle did not). The new Equinox's 6T transmission is programmed to use an "eco" shift strategy by default. The end result is that the languid shift response that the 6T/6F is infamous for becomes "let's try to hit 5th gear within 20 m of launch".

There is a button on the console to switch the "eco" mode off. Also, the Equinox does have a manual gear selection mode, though it doesn't help much in terms of responsiveness (and the owner's manual even states that it's not intended to simulate a manual transmission, which would be an impossible feat with the 6T/6F anyway).

With that said, I managed 26 mpg in the first 60 miles on this particular rental Equinox (mostly city driving, with "eco" mode off), which had about 2,400 miles on it. Other than the sometimes infuriating transmission and limited outward visibility, I actually liked the new Equinox.

equinox1.jpg

equinox_eco.jpg

equinox2.jpg

Edited by aneekr

I parked next to 2010 Equinox at the hotel I'm staying at and I was down right shocked at how big it was...it was nearly the same size as the Sienna and Kia Minivans I've been driving out here. I know the previous gen ones where roughly the size of the first Gen Explorers too...its a BIG small SUV. My sister got an Escape last week and I'll have to check it out when I get home next weekend.

:hysterical:

I rented 2010 Equinox 1LT FWD in Chicago recently. RichardJensen's comment about the full time overdrive feature isn't much of an exaggeration. The GM 6T/Ford 6F transmission is a perfect example of the rule more forward gears ≠ improved automatic transmission; the Aisin tranny in the previous generation Equinox offered a better driving experience (though everything else about the vehicle did not). The new Equinox's 6T transmission is programmed to use an "eco" shift strategy by default. The end result is that the languid shift response that the 6T/6F is infamous for becomes "let's try to hit 5th gear within 20 m of launch".

There is a button on the console to switch the "eco" mode off. Also, the Equinox does have a manual gear selection mode, though it doesn't help much in terms of responsiveness (and the owner's manual even states that it's not intended to simulate a manual transmission, which would be an impossible feat with the 6T/6F anyway).

With that said, I managed 26 mpg in the first 60 miles on this particular rental Equinox (mostly city driving, with "eco" mode off), which had about 2,400 miles on it. Other than the sometimes infuriating transmission and limited outward visibility, I actually liked the new Equinox.

equinox1.jpg

equinox_eco.jpg

equinox2.jpg

How was the view out back ...of all the pictures I looked at I never noticed how small those rear windows looked. Not the second row but the quarter ones ....they look obscenely tiny!?

How was the view out back ...of all the pictures I looked at I never noticed how small those rear windows looked. Not the second row but the quarter ones ....they look obscenely tiny!?

Hi 06mariner- outward visibility in the Equinox is constrained all around by thick pillars, especially the C/D pillar, and a high beltline. To me, GM put form over function with the Equinox's styling. The rearview camera would definitely be a worthwhile option (my rental Equinox didn't include that feature).

Better yet, for future crossover vehicles GM should take some lessons from Ford and Subaru, as the Escape/Mariner/Tribute and Forester both provide excellent visibility.

Hi 06mariner- outward visibility in the Equinox is constrained all around by thick pillars, especially the C/D pillar, and a high beltline. To me, GM put form over function with the Equinox's styling. The rearview camera would definitely be a worthwhile option (my rental Equinox didn't include that feature).

Same thing with the Traverse.. and the Camaro... :banghead: