2010 Taurus Spotted in the wild

I'm out in the middle of nowhere WI (Tomah, popluation 8500 or so) for work and I went over to the local Movie Theater to go see Ingorlous Bastards (sucked...was just a typical Tarantino movie done as a war movie) and spotted a white 10 Taurus SEL in the parking lot, which was highlight of going to the movies

First impressions....the rear end is, um different. Its not ugly, but is different looking. Didn't look like it had a huge ass on it like the previous gen Taurus did. Its a big car, but doesn't look huge or overly tall like the older car did. Didn't get a good look at the front end of the car since it started to back out of the spot and I was walking into the theater. Was in a boring color, white, but overall the car left a very good impression on me in person. Can't wait till I see a Candy Apple Red SHO, since thats the leading contender for my next car :D

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm out in the middle of nowhere WI (Tomah, popluation 8500 or so) for work and I went over to the local Movie Theater to go see Ingorlous Bastards (sucked...was just a typical Tarantino movie done as a war movie) and spotted a white 10 Taurus SEL in the parking lot, which was highlight of going to the movies

First impressions....the rear end is, um different. Its not ugly, but is different looking. Didn't look like it had a huge ass on it like the previous gen Taurus did. Its a big car, but doesn't look huge or overly tall like the older car did. Didn't get a good look at the front end of the car since it started to back out of the spot and I was walking into the theater. Was in a boring color, white, but overall the car left a very good impression on me in person. Can't wait till I see a Candy Apple Red SHO, since thats the leading contender for my next car :D

You haven't seen a boring color until you see the beige/gold Taurus! I hate beige, the only reason to have this color is because old or aesthetically challenged people buy them.

I like the Taurus, but I've come to the conclusion that unless you buy a SHO, it's just not age appropriate choice for me (30). If I'm going to buy in that price range, I'm going for the Edge (of course I have an MKX).

Edited by BORG

You haven't seen a boring color until you see the beige/gold Taurus! I hate beige, the only reason to have this color is because old or aesthetically challenged people buy them.

I like the Taurus, but I've come to the conclusion that unless you buy a SHO, it's just not age appropriate choice for me (30). If I'm going to buy in that price range, I'm going for the Edge (of course I have an MKX).

I saw my first (since the auto show) Taurus Limited this week, at a local dealership, after a rain storm: GORGEOUS, AMAZING in Silver covered with beads of water!!! I also saw a white metallic SEL which was not as impressive.

I sat in one today. Beige SE with no options, belonged to a customer none the less.

The photos don't quite represent how large this vehicle is, but still the size isn't an issue with me. Even being the stripper that this one was the interior still came across as inviting and comfortable. Ford really did that homework with this vehicle. I was really impressed with this vehicle for not having driven it. Can't wait to drive a SHO.

Edited by Michael Reynolds

My parents have a Gold Sable, and its a boring car, but it was the only color they had on the lot...

Local Ford dealership had a white one in the showroom with a Transit Connect last night. The Taurus I'll have to put in a mental bin with the '08 Focus as in, "no accounting for some people's tastes." As with the '08 Focus I don't like this mishmash of Euro & US design cues, but hey, if it sells......

Just went on Keloland's Automall. It's and Ingot Silver Limited with AWD.

Local Ford dealership had a white one in the showroom with a Transit Connect last night. The Taurus I'll have to put in a mental bin with the '08 Focus as in, "no accounting for some people's tastes." As with the '08 Focus I don't like this mishmash of Euro & US design cues, but hey, if it sells......

Curious as to who styled the new Taurus? And what he tried to do? Watch this episode of Autoline Detroit:

http://www.autolinedetroit.tv/show/1326

I just hope buyers appreciate all the work Ford put into the 2010, no one can deny it's a great effort.

Curious as to who styled the new Taurus? And what he tried to do? Watch this episode of Autoline Detroit:

http://www.autolinedetroit.tv/show/1326

Joining John on the panel are the two men most responsible for the design of the car:

Earl Lucas did the exterior while Lon Zaback did the interior.

Edited by jpd80

Question for folks that are in the retail end on the business. How is the delivery rate on the Taurus ?

I have heard from one unconfirmed source that there are "issues" with the launch and production is going slow. Personally, I would rather hear this than the old "paint it blue and ship it through".

Question for folks that are in the retail end on the business. How is the delivery rate on the Taurus ?

I have heard from one unconfirmed source that there are "issues" with the launch and production is going slow. Personally, I would rather hear this than the old "paint it blue and ship it through".

Dean doesn't come on the board on the weekends, so I'll recap something he posted earlier.

Apparently their August allocation was one Taurus, so I'm guessing that it's too early to tell if there's issues with the launch based on deliveries...

That's a pretty small sample size.... Would surprise me a bit if they're having major issues, as the Taurus is basically an MKS when it comes to assembly. Same engines (basically), same assembly intensive optional equipment packages (e.g. BLIS, adaptive CC). One would think they got the kinks with the Taurus worked out already.

Of course, I suppose the problem could be with interior fit & finish--which is about the only area significantly different from the MKS from an assembly standpoint.

But the Taurus is far better looking then the 08 Focus....

My snarky snobbish response is that of course it's better looking. It spreads the same number of design offenses over a much greater surface area

I think the Taurus front-end is a home run, although I know you think it looks Toyota-tastic.

The rear-end, especially the rear quarter panel, is still a design mishmash that I don't get. It looks like they started with the interceptor concept for the trunk-lid, but couldn't work out the transition to the fender so the design just doesn't work well.

To be honest, Ford design seems to have gotten worse, I have not seen a solid Ford design since the 2005 Mustang, 2006 Fusion, and 2007 F-150 and Edge. Everything has been down-hill since then, probably because of the poorly executed facelifts. The Focus and Mustang reskins are attractive in their own market segments, but not interesting (Mustang is more successful than the Focus design of course). The Flex might be the one exception, it's a good design except for the interior which is pretty drab and pedestrian for such a trendy car. The Taurus interior, without a doubt, it's probably the best interior design of the year. Why Ford is so inconsistent is beyond me.

Edited by BORG

You always think Ford design is getting worse. Frankly, I think it's pointless to speak in generalities like that.

No I don't!

I generally believe Ford design is very inconsistent so the results are always mixed and I don't have much confidence in their ability to update or produce new successful designs. Simply put, I think they have had less great designs lately. The other major issue I have with Ford is their inability to completely update a vehicle, such as the Ford Fusion. This means that Ford fit n finish doesn't improve because they carry over most of the body design which can't compare to fully modern vehicles (the 2010 Taurus one merciful example of a proper update).

We have two on the lot now, and one of them actually showed up ahead of schedule. Haven't had problems getting ours at all. I have noticed that many of ours in the order banks have a "TBD" in the estimated arrival date. They still seem to be showing up on time, though.

As for the styling, our Cinnamon SEL has had crowds around it since it got here, and it has gotten an overwhelming thumbs up. Haven't heard one complaint, just oohs and ahhs, and the ever present "I can't believe it's a Ford" catchphrase.

Besides, when was the last time you saw a Taurus draw a crowd?

I'll wait... :reading:

Edited by chiefstang

We have two on the lot now, and one of them actually showed up ahead of schedule. Haven't had problems getting ours at all. I have noticed that many of ours in the order banks have a "TBD" in the estimated arrival date. They still seem to be showing up on time, though.

As for the styling, our Cinnamon SEL has had crowds around it since it got here, and it has gotten an overwhelming thumbs up. Haven't heard one complaint, just oohs and ahhs, and the ever present "I can't believe it's a Ford" catchphrase.

Besides, when was the last time you saw a Taurus draw a crowd?

I'll wait... :reading:

1996? ;)

I havn't done any spec research yet, but has anyone else think the back seat seems to have less leg room than the 09 Taurus? I have only been in a preproduction 2010 model for a short time. I didn't have alot of time to check it out that well. But from what I saw in person and from the pictures I have seen on the net, the rear leg room looks cramped. I know that in the 500/taurus I could sit in the back seat without my knees touching the front seat no matter the front seat horizontial position.

Since the platform is the same I wonder if its just the rear seat cushion is just longer to fit your legs better.

A guy I work with thinks it looks cramped also. The Fusion looks like it has more rear seat leg room. The Taurus is a nice big car, I would think it would have tons of room.

This was my only real concern with the Lincoln LS, the back seat leg room. I am 6'3 and alot of it is legs, so I hate to be cramped.

I havn't done any spec research yet, but has anyone else think the back seat seems to have less leg room than the 09 Taurus? I have only been in a preproduction 2010 model for a short time. I didn't have alot of time to check it out that well. But from what I saw in person and from the pictures I have seen on the net, the rear leg room looks cramped. I know that in the 500/taurus I could sit in the back seat without my knees touching the front seat no matter the front seat horizontial position.

Since the platform is the same I wonder if its just the rear seat cushion is just longer to fit your legs better.

A guy I work with thinks it looks cramped also. The Fusion looks like it has more rear seat leg room. The Taurus is a nice big car, I would think it would have tons of room.

This was my only real concern with the Lincoln LS, the back seat leg room. I am 6'3 and alot of it is legs, so I hate to be cramped.

Ok I guess I should do my homework before I post......

2010 Taurus - 2009

Head Room - Front (in.) 39 - 39.6

Head Room - Rear (in.) 37.8 - 38.8

Leg Room - Front (in.) 41.9 - 41.3

Leg room - Rear (in.) 38.1 - 41.2

Hip Room - Front (in.) 56.3 - 53.7

Hip Room - Rear (in.) 55.8 53.6

Shoulder Room - Front (in.) 57.9 - 57.8

Shoulder Room - Rear (in.) 56.9 - 57.6

2009 Taurus

Internal dimensions:

front headroom (inches): 39.6,

rear headroom (inches): 38.8,

front hip room (inches): 53.7,

rear hip room (inches): 53.6,

front leg room (inches): 41.3,

rear leg room (inches): 41.2,

front shoulder room (inches): 57.8,

rear shoulder room (inches): 57.6

interior volume (cu ft): 108.0

Edited by fordtech1

Ok I guess I should do my homework before I post......

2010 Taurus - 2009

Head Room - Front (in.) 39 - 39.6

Head Room - Rear (in.) 37.8 - 38.8

Leg Room - Front (in.) 41.9 - 41.3

Leg room - Rear (in.) 38.1 - 41.2

Hip Room - Front (in.) 56.3 - 53.7

Hip Room - Rear (in.) 55.8 53.6

Shoulder Room - Front (in.) 57.9 - 57.8

Shoulder Room - Rear (in.) 56.9 - 57.6

2009 Taurus

Internal dimensions:

front headroom (inches): 39.6,

rear headroom (inches): 38.8,

front hip room (inches): 53.7,

rear hip room (inches): 53.6,

front leg room (inches): 41.3,

rear leg room (inches): 41.2,

front shoulder room (inches): 57.8,

rear shoulder room (inches): 57.6

interior volume (cu ft): 108.0

Interesting. I was sitting in the 2010 yesterday, and we were commenting about how not only did the rear legroom look a little shorter, but also noticed that the "command seating" was lower, and the room under the seats of the 2009 was gone. Strange that not only the legroom matches up, but the front headroom as well. I guess the lower seating position allowed for the lower roof with the same headroom?

Interesting. I was sitting in the 2010 yesterday, and we were commenting about how not only did the rear legroom look a little shorter, but also noticed that the "command seating" was lower, and the room under the seats of the 2009 was gone. Strange that not only the legroom matches up, but the front headroom as well. I guess the lower seating position allowed for the lower roof with the same headroom?

So they fix the problem with command seating and tall people? Thats my biggest complaint with my parents Sable, I feel like I'm sitting up way too high in it and I'm 6'2