Rental review - Ford Flex

Ok, so why would someone key someone elses car because their license plate was on the web? I mean, how many people write it down on a paper, and drive around, "oh look, look, I found that license plate on the web, and there's that car?" I mean, really, the person must be mentally imbalanced to waste time on that?

Ok, so why would someone key someone elses car because their license plate was on the web? I mean, how many people write it down on a paper, and drive around, "oh look, look, I found that license plate on the web, and there's that car?" I mean, really, the person must be mentally imbalanced to waste time on that?

Maybe because of his particular comment, but I see what you are saying. In a city the size of SF, finding that car with that plate is right up there with finding a needle in a haystack, even if someone WANTED to find it.

I don't understand why people freak out about seeing license plate numbers on the web. I mean, do you black out your plate when you're driving down the road? What's the diff? :banghead:

Maybe because of his particular comment, but I see what you are saying. In a city the size of SF, finding that car with that plate is right up there with finding a needle in a haystack, even if someone WANTED to find it.

I don't understand why people freak out about seeing license plate numbers on the web. I mean, do you black out your plate when you're driving down the road? What's the diff? :banghead:

hells bells...check out my Avatar....I'm sure as hell not paranoid........

Its the pedestrians that really kill it though. NOBODY here on foot will give a car the right of way. Nor will they even look before crossing a street. God help you when you have to make a left turn downtown. The drivers are bad out there, but the pedestrian traffic makes it infuriating.

Ah, but it's a fantastic place to BE a pedestrian - the 7 miles from one end of the city to the other is hardly a cake walk, but you can circumnavigate it on foot in a day.

Yeah I was pissed off at that "Thats part of the reason why i make it a point to litter when im up here. lol". Returning the childishness, I suppose.

I drove it from Redwood city to Modesto last night to see some family. The 2.5 hours it took to get there was filled with traffic and it was comfy enough. The drive back was only 1.5 hours. (picture driving from LA to Redlands or so...)

It rides really well and its great on the highway. Taking a few onramps to see what she'll do seems to show that it handles well enough, and better than i expected to be honest. Minimal truckish roll, and only some tire squeel to tell how fast i was moving. Some better tires could make it a very entertaining car that might suprise a few others. Its still no sports car but its fun. The brakes are fine! i dont know why people bitch. Even a panic stop or two last night (due to heavy traffic because of a rolled car on the ... 205(?) freeway) was handled with ease.

One minor gripe is the ignition switch. Maybe its how i have the seat adjusted, but it seems a little low. The keychain rental tag sometimes will jam in between my knee and the steering column which gets annoying. I like my seat where it is, so i dont want to move it, but making a turn and moving my knee around can sometimes wedge that tag and it bugs me. It may not be a big deal, but my normal personal keychain has a lot of crap on it and the same thing would happen.

Oh yeah, the outside rearview mirror controls are in a weird spot. Id rather have it with the master window control panel. Its feels kinda far forward and out of place up on top of the door panel, which are obviously high.

Heres the key tag and my knee.

09-23-09_1654.jpg

I drove it from Redwood city to Modesto last night to see some family. The 2.5 hours it took to get there was filled with traffic and it was comfy enough. The drive back was only 1.5 hours. (picture driving from LA to Redlands or so...)

It rides really well and its great on the highway. Taking a few onramps to see what she'll do seems to show that it handles well enough, and better than i expected to be honest. Minimal truckish roll, and only some tire squeel to tell how fast i was moving. Some better tires could make it a very entertaining car that might suprise a few others. Its still no sports car but its fun. The brakes are fine! i dont know why people bitch. Even a panic stop or two last night (due to heavy traffic because of a rolled car on the ... 205(?) freeway) was handled with ease.

One minor gripe is the ignition switch. Maybe its how i have the seat adjusted, but it seems a little low. The keychain rental tag sometimes will jam in between my knee and the steering column which gets annoying. I like my seat where it is, so i dont want to move it, but making a turn and moving my knee around can sometimes wedge that tag and it bugs me. It may not be a big deal, but my normal personal keychain has a lot of crap on it and the same thing would happen.

Oh yeah, the outside rearview mirror controls are in a weird spot. Id rather have it with the master window control panel. Its feels kinda far forward and out of place up on top of the door panel, which are obviously high.

Heres the key tag and my knee.

09-23-09_1654.jpg

Geez, for a second there, I thought you said "Mondeo"......

I don't think the ingition switch is that low....as for the rental tag, push it up so it leans on the steering column above the key, that's what I do to avoid the situation you're describing.

As for the outside mirror control, how often do you adjust your mirrors to need it next to the window switches?

Geez, for a second there, I thought you said "Mondeo"......

I don't think the ingition switch is that low....as for the rental tag, push it up so it leans on the steering column above the key, that's what I do to avoid the situation you're describing.

As for the outside mirror control, how often do you adjust your mirrors to need it next to the window switches?

In my Ranger i adjust the mirrors after every visit to the car wash. They are rough i tell ya.

As far as pushing the keys out of the way... well... heres the set of keys i carry everywhere..... It wont be that easy lol. I could move the seat down a bit, but i wouldnt be as comfy.

09-24-09_1803.jpg

Oh, and "Camaro got a big ol butt...... I know i told you id be true....."

09-23-09_0738.jpg

Edited by Sixt9coug

We are looking to rent a Flex, but am having trouble finding one. We want to try it out before we decide to get rid of our Windstar.

Just do it...you won't regret it! :)

We love ours after 13,000+ miles. Works great for our 3 littles ones aged 6 years, 4 years, 8 months. We got the bucket seats in the center row so that the 6 yo could walk on through to the back since we have car seats in the middle row and cannot flip up the seats easily.

Just do it...you won't regret it! :)

We love ours after 13,000+ miles. Works great for our 3 littles ones aged 6 years, 4 years, 8 months. We got the bucket seats in the center row so that the 6 yo could walk on through to the back since we have car seats in the middle row and cannot flip up the seats easily.

It's a little more complicated than that for us. I use a wheelchair for walking long distances. I sit in a regular seat while traveling. The Windstar is perfect and we are completely bumbed they are no longer making it. The Econoline is way too big. We just wanted to try it out to see if it would work or if we need to really "baby" the Windstar to keep it on the road for a lot longer.

It's a little more complicated than that for us. I use a wheelchair for walking long distances. I sit in a regular seat while traveling. The Windstar is perfect and we are completely bumbed they are no longer making it. The Econoline is way too big. We just wanted to try it out to see if it would work or if we need to really "baby" the Windstar to keep it on the road for a lot longer.

I rented one through National. Ive seen a couple out there on their lots. Rent it and spend a few days getting to know it.

I am back home now. The Flex is back with National and I enjoyed my time with it. Its probably the best modern Ford product ive been in, and I dont care what anyone says, i would say its well worth the 35K or so that particular SEL probably stickered for. It FELT like a 35K vehicle. Not a stray creak, rattle or clunk to be found anywhere in it. and my complaints can be counted on one hand.

My only cons

- Torque steer

- Didnt like where the rear view mirror controls were

- The steering column seems to show its car roots by being a little low for me to feel 100% comfy.

- Trans had some kinda harsh downshifts at low speeds, and got really busy looking for gears with some hills and bridges.

Other thant hat, i LOVED the interior. I took my coworkers to lunch in ot some days and they were all impressed witth the interior. "This is ll luxury back here" was said by one guy that rode in the back seat. OH!!! the fact that the back seat would RECLINE was friggin awesome!

I liked it alot. I think anyone that gives it even a proper look will feel the same.

I understand your situation...I was really just kidding about the 'just do it' part. :)

I liked it alot. I think anyone that gives it even a proper look will feel the same.

+1