Alcoholics Anonymous

I'm going to my first AA meeting tonight. For a narcissist such as myself, this is going to be really hard. But then again, it wouldn't be my first AA meeting. I used to go with my father when I was 5 or 6... he couldn't afford a babysitter.

Anyway, I'd like to hear you guys thoughts on AA.

I'm going to my first AA meeting tonight. For a narcissist such as myself, this is going to be really hard. But then again, it wouldn't be my first AA meeting. I used to go with my father when I was 5 or 6... he couldn't afford a babysitter.

I don't have any experience with it, but good luck!

Edited by fordmantpw

good luck, I'll see you there, after attempting to read Macs stint in the Israel thread my head hurts...all kidding aside, if you have signed in because it is a problem, that may be the biggest step....cudos, I really hope it results in a positive outcome....

I am proud of you for sharing and proud of you for going.

My biggest reservation is that if you are not ready to change and someone is making you go; that does not work.

If you are ready to go. Then go.

But I think the best help you will get is not from man, but from God by reading the Word. All healing, of all times, comes from Him. Not ourselves. But that is just my belief.

If you have anything that I can personally help with please feel free to PM me. Some times it is not your best friend or the person you get a long with that can be a good or excellent source of help. Sometimes it is near strangers that are not afraid of hurting your feelings under such difficult circumstances that can be of significant value.

Regardless, way to Go! I am very please to know someone taking a step to fix what is broken in their life. We are all broken in different ways.

Peace and Blessings

As a nursing student we had to study AA and attend one meeting. From some veiwpoints, it can be a little corny and maybe a little uncomfortable at first... especially the spiritual side.

It will not cure anyone in one meeting. It isn't designed to (12-steps). You will benefit most by making the meetings a small, but important, part of your life. The friends you make there have something in common with you, and you may end up helping someone else as much as you received help. Believe it or not, I see similarities to AA & this forum (That crown-vic guy not included).

For some, the meetings are something to remind them why sobriety is best. For others the friendships are what helps them. Still for others the fact that they have a choice is an empowering tool. Whatever aspect of AA helps, LET it help. Some guys just don't give themselves permission to ask for help.

I've had patients that had AA as the one and only thread that kept them from making some very big mistakes. It helped them turn their lives around. Years later they still attend because they knew some guy was gonna walk through that door and need a friend.

AA is a powerful tool if you let it.

Good luck, Versa, we're with you!

Edited by joihan777

good luck, I'll see you there, after attempting to read Macs stint in the Israel thread my head hurts...all kidding aside, if you have signed in because it is a problem, that may be the biggest step....cudos, I really hope it results in a positive outcome....

Ha. Tell me the specific points and I will try to duplicate them in other posts for you! ;)

Peace and Blessings

Ha. Tell me the specific points and I will try to duplicate them in other posts for you! ;)

Peace and Blessings

LMAO! dont you dare...I will remain religion ignorant, not logical to me I'm afraid...all i remember is wicked Nuns with wooden rulers rapping knuckles...anyways, no derailing...all the best versa.

My biggest reservation is that if you are not ready to change and someone is making you go; that does not work.

But I think the best help you will get is not from man, but from God by reading the Word. All healing, of all times, comes from Him. Not ourselves. But that is just my belief.

If you have anything that I can personally help with please feel free to PM me. Some times it is not your best friend or the person you get a long with that can be a good or excellent source of help. Sometimes it is near strangers that are not afraid of hurting your feelings under such difficult circumstances that can be of significant value.

Regardless, way to Go! I am very please to know someone taking a step to fix what is broken in their life. We are all broken in different ways.

Peace and Blessings

Actually, nobody knows I'm going. I appreciate your concern though. We all know I've read the Bible and I don't agree with it. Regardless of that, I consider my relationship with God much stronger than most people that do read the Bible regularly. How else could I associate with so many atheists without losing my moral compass?

Peace and Blessings

Wow...that deeply thought-out response makes my 'good luck' response look like a waste of bandwidth! :hysterical:

Actually, nobody knows I'm going. I appreciate your concern though. We all know I've read the Bible and I don't agree with it. Regardless of that, I consider my relationship with God much stronger than most people that do read the Bible regularly. How else could I associate with so many atheists without losing my moral compass?

Because He restrains all sinners from sinning more then allowed. :) Else we would all be in real big trouble.

Peace and Blessings

Best Wishes Versa.

I have worked for and with AA members for many years. It is a constant struggle. The good news is that you don't have to worry about getting through the rest of your life without drinking, just today. I have seen the good that having the support from AA will do. Some of the best advice I received in life came from an AA member, If you stumble, as we all do, get back up and try again. It isn't failure until you fail to keep trying.

Just got back from my meeting. I absolutely loved it. Up until this point in my life, I always thought that there was something fundementally wrong with me. Now I realize that there are tons of people out there just like me. It's not just the alcohol either. It's our entire way of thinking. It's this way of thinking that tends to make us drink. I didn't hear any of this stuff there, I realized it from listening to other people's stories. I'm so excited to go again, and I will be tomorrow.

I appreciate everyone's support. I'm actually excited about something that doesn't have to do with cars for once in a very long time! :D

Just got back from my meeting. I absolutely loved it. Up until this point in my life, I always thought that there was something fundementally wrong with me. Now I realize that there are tons of people out there just like me. It's not just the alcohol either. It's our entire way of thinking. It's this way of thinking that tends to make us drink. I didn't hear any of this stuff there, I realized it from listening to other people's stories. I'm so excited to go again, and I will be tomorrow.

I appreciate everyone's support. I'm actually excited about something that doesn't have to do with cars for once in a very long time! :D

FYI: "Bill W." aka Bill Wilson, the co-founder of Alcoholics Anonymous, started the movement during the Great Depression.

Bill W. was deemed by Time Magazine as one of the "100 Most Important People of the 20th Century" because of the fact that his 12-step program has helped millions of people to overcome alcoholism and drug addiction.

http://www.time.com/time/time100/heroes/pr...e/wilson01.html

My favorite band, Tower of Power (which in my view is the most impressive musical act of all time), which was founded in 1968 during the height of the drug era -- but is still going strong to this day -- dedicated its superb 1998 Live! album to Bill W. (I offer this as proof that recovery from alcohol and drug addiction does not preclude creative mastery -- these people are masters of their art, and as much as some may try, no group of musicians can equal the amazing precision of Tower of Power. No one. Period. Liver transplants notwithstanding!)

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck. To my knowledge, the first step of the 12-step program is admitting that you have a problem, which you have done publicly on this forum and therefore to yourself. So you're on your way!

Be strong! Read Sun Tzu and the Bible for guidance!

Awesome!!! Very proud of you. That is the way to do it.

Consider this. Doing anything like too much alcohol, drugs, etc. tends to stop or retard our maturing. 10 years of heavy drugs or alcohol can make a 40 year old act like they are 30. It stunts us emotionally, psychologically, in all sorts of ways. The more you drink the more you are self medicating to avoid life.

Now, you have chosen to move in a different direction. Consider things as they happen to you know before you act. You are upon a whole new path that will lead to a lot of growth potential for you personally, perhaps in relationships, etc. Just take it calm and easy. Speed is not the issue. Direction is. Go forward calm and easy knowing that there are many people that you know and don't know that will be happy to find out that you are changing. Many will never say anything because they simply do not know how. Take the time to consider and enjoy new or forgotten aspects of life.

Peace and Blessings

Rock it, Versa. My father did the AA thing several years ago and has been sober since. He finally quit attending meetings after about 9 years as he said they really didn't do anything more for him at that point. Hopefully you have the same level of success as he did. He's a different person now. The person he was supposed to be all along. Good luck!

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE SUPPORT! I am not responding to anyone's post in particular, because I don't want anyone to think that their words of encouragement are any less appreciated than anyone elses. I stayed up practically all night reading my "Big Book" on Alcoholism, and I might even finish it today. I was so inspired by the stories inside of it, that I haven't even thought of drinking. I will be attending my second meeting tonight, and I can't wait to go. Thanks again everyone.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE SUPPORT! I am not responding to anyone's post in particular, because I don't want anyone to think that their words of encouragement are any less appreciated than anyone elses. I stayed up practically all night reading my "Big Book" on Alcoholism, and I might even finish it today. I was so inspired by the stories inside of it, that I haven't even thought of drinking. I will be attending my second meeting tonight, and I can't wait to go. Thanks again everyone.

Guess you do know what a "New Day" can feel like huh? :)

Peace and Blessings

I quit drinking two years ago. I didn't turn to religion or AA. I just did it. I don't want to give credit to any person or institution for something that I accomplished on my own. Once you do that, they have a hold on you for the rest of your life. If you quit drinking, it is because of your own fortitude, not because you pray or go to meetings.

I also quit smoking 35 years ago. Smoking is more harmful and harder to quit than drinking. Why don't they have an SA? Why doesn't a Bible thumper seek you out and pray with you to quit? Smoking does not affect the thinking process, so there is no opportunity for them to fill the void that will be created with their own indoctrination.

I quit drinking two years ago. I didn't turn to religion or AA. I just did it. I don't want to give credit to any person or institution for something that I accomplished on my own. Once you do that, they have a hold on you for the rest of your life. If you quit drinking, it is because of your own fortitude, not because you pray or go to meetings.

If you break your leg and get a cast on it, who gets the credit for healing? Your body's self repairing design or the doctor that put the cast on?

Or is it both? Hmm?

And don't think the 12-step program only helps people who are staying away from alcohol. There are many 12-step programs now that help folks out in a variety of situations.

Including smoking: Nicotine Anonymous

For all the power these programs have, none work without the individual deciding enough is enough... that kind of life change takes courage and fortitude. There will be tears, then joy.

Lets not turn this into a debate over quiting and 12 steps, etc. That is of no use to Versa or anyone else on this path.

Lets just stop now. If you don't have something personal and posative to share, filter it and keep it to yourself just this one time...

Peace and Blessings