Ford Launches Unprecedented Nine New Engines, Six New Transmissions in North America in 2010

Focus+ 2.0 DI...I bet we can get 40 mpg just out of that!

the current focus has a 140hp 2.0 without DI or VCT. and it gets 37 mpg hwy with the 5 spd manual.

I would bet the combination of this motor the aerodynamic improvements and possible start-stop operation, the Focus will KILL all competitors in economy. I am thinking low 40s hwy and mid 30s city, it could best the Fiesta in economy.

I am expecting 155hp and 150 ft/lbs of torque with a broad torque curve.

I just hope they can keep the weight down.

the current focus has a 140hp 2.0 without DI or VCT. and it gets 37 mpg hwy with the 5 spd manual.

I would bet the combination of this motor the aerodynamic improvements and possible start-stop operation, the Focus will KILL all competitors in economy. I am thinking low 40s hwy and mid 30s city, it could best the Fiesta in economy.

I am expecting 155hp and 150 ft/lbs of torque with a broad torque curve.

I just hope they can keep the weight down.

uh...the focus got 37 but the new 2006? changes to the gov regs reduced that to 34, the 08 model increased that to 35.

Focus is at 35 mpg hwy now.

Main impactors on highway mpg are:

aerodynamics

rolling resistance

engine efficiency at low to mid RPM

driveline loss

Aero improves with the new Foxus body (or so I've heard)

rolling resistance might go down a smidge

TiVCT will improve the operating efficiency of the 2.0L I4 at part throttle, GDI can be tuned for some additional efficiency gain

Remember, Focus is supposed to get the 6 speed powershift. That will reduce driveline loss and improve gearing.

All of that combined could take the Focus to maybe 38 mpg highway.

Could make a bigger difference in the city, especially if they can get start/stop on it too.

I can't see the weight going down any though.

As for performance, GDI and TiVCT will broaden out the torque curve on the 2.0L and offer good, solid torque off the line. +10 hp and +10 torque over this year seems a reasonable expectation.

Focus is at 35 mpg hwy now.

Main impactors on highway mpg are:

aerodynamics

rolling resistance

engine efficiency at low to mid RPM

driveline loss

Aero improves with the new Foxus body (or so I've heard)

rolling resistance might go down a smidge

TiVCT will improve the operating efficiency of the 2.0L I4 at part throttle, GDI can be tuned for some additional efficiency gain

Remember, Focus is supposed to get the 6 speed powershift. That will reduce driveline loss and improve gearing.

All of that combined could take the Focus to maybe 38 mpg highway.

Could make a bigger difference in the city, especially if they can get start/stop on it too.

I can't see the weight going down any though.

As for performance, GDI and TiVCT will broaden out the torque curve on the 2.0L and offer good, solid torque off the line. +10 hp and +10 torque over this year seems a reasonable expectation.

Talk about low expectations!!

You could find 10 horsepower in 10 minutes on a dyno with a good tuner, that wouldn't be worth the cost and complexity of the new technologies. Just look at what TiVCT alone did for the D37 in the Mustang, hell my ancient 2.0L Zetec in my Focus made 130 like 12 years ago! An all new engine, with an optimized intake, head, exhaust plus TiVCT and DI should make around 180 easy. The few mods they did to the Zetec for the SVT Focus added 40 horsepower to the engine, that was with nothing but old school hot rod tech, better flowing head, exhaust, intake, and slightly more compression. A state of the art engine, designed decades later, with lower friction, windage, and parasitic drag should be way way above that, now add TiVCT AND direct injection and anything less than 180 would be embarrassing. If it put out the same Hp/per Liter as the TiVCT 3.7 it would make 164 horsepower, now add DI and 180 seems just about right, and in a very conservative tune.

So let's hear more about this updated GT500 5.4. Is that simply an exchange for an aluminium block, or has Ford gone and slapped the new tech Coyote 5.0 heads on top too. What are the horsepower and torque projections for this monster, and how does it compare to that new supercharged Corvette engine?

About the 6-speed Powershift on the 2012 Focus...

I noticed that there is no additional shift gate notch for manual shifting which allows you to tap the shifter forward and backward, but instead it has a big button on the side of the shifter with what appears to be a "+" and "-" symbol.

Is that for shifting? how does it funtion?

Click thumbnail to enlarge

26focus2010detroitlive.th.jpg

Edited by AM2

About the 6-speed Powershift on the Focus...

I noticed that there is no gate for manual shifting which allows you to tap the shifter forward and backward, but instead it has a big button on the side of the shifter with what appears to be a "+" and "-" symbol.

Is that for shifting? how does it funtion?

Is it that hard to figure out? You press the + and it upshifts and you press the - and it downshifts (once you put the shifter in M - manual mode).

Is it that hard to figure out? You press the + and it upshifts and you press the - and it downshifts (once you put the shifter in M - manual mode).

I thought of that, it just seems a bit awkward putting one button on the side of the selector for shifting gears.

Having an additional shift gate notch and tapping the selector forward and backwards for shifting seems more natural like the one currently used on the Euro and Asian Focus TDCi Powershift.

ford_focus_tdci_06.jpg

I thought of that, it just seems a bit awkward putting one button on the side of the selector for shifting gears.

Having an additional shift gate notch and tapping the selector forward and backwards for shifting seems more natural like the one currently used on the Euro and Asian Focus TDCi Powershift.

ford_focus_tdci_06.jpg

In theory I'd agree with you. I've never used the buttons, but the manual shift gate in several cars (I've tested it in the last-gen Passat, the 2006 STS, and the current Mazda6) seems like it would be the better idea.

I had a Lincoln LS with manual shift gate and liked it for the most part. But I like the idea of just pressing a button without moving the entire shifter. Never really liked the wheel mounted paddle shifters outside of racing where you need to keep both hands on the wheel.

I think Ford is simply trying some new ergonomics here. We'll have to wait for test drives to see how it works. It sure is a lot simpler than having the shifter move back and forth.

I had a Lincoln LS with manual shift gate and liked it for the most part. But I like the idea of just pressing a button without moving the entire shifter. Never really liked the wheel mounted paddle shifters outside of racing where you need to keep both hands on the wheel.

I think Ford is simply trying some new ergonomics here. We'll have to wait for test drives to see how it works. It sure is a lot simpler than having the shifter move back and forth.

Definitely better to keep both hands on the wheel while driving the canyons, fiddling around with a little button on the shifter makes it almost pointless.. Give me the paddles that everyone else uses.

Definitely better to keep both hands on the wheel while driving the canyons, fiddling around with a little button on the shifter makes it almost pointless.. Give me the paddles that everyone else uses.

How would you be driving if you had a true manual? Hint - you won't have both hands on the wheel. This is certainly not any worse from that standpoint.

Anybody remember when Bill Ford Jr. said, seems forever ago, the Ford fleet would have a 25% MPG improvement in HOW MANY Years? He was publicly ridiculed several years later when he had to abandon that goal.

Little did he, or everybody for that matter, know that it would become reality, in two or three years, if not this year.

According to the Environmental Protection Agency, Ford's combined car and truck fuel economy has improved nearly 20 percent since 2004 – almost double the next closest competitor.

This, all thanks to several events he could not have forecasted when he had to publicly abandon the goal:

1) GAS price surge passed $4/gal;

2) CAFE change and Gov. money for retooling;

And most importantly,

3) Mulally on board and forced the changes Bill Jr. could not do himself.

Id rather they test the new engine in an old platform than have a new car with the old engine

That's because you don't have to account for the packaging difficulties on the assembly line.

Engines are designed to fit into engine compartments. If the engine compartment shape changes, the powertrain package has to change.

That's why you don't often get new engines in vehicles that have a short time left till replacement.