Hola, Focus.

What about the 3 door hatch? the ones in Europe are amazing. I hope it comes.

3 door Focus is not a big seller even in Europe so I suspect it will be replaced by a Focus "coupe" (Capri maybe?). Think VW Scirocco or Renault Megane... I think it will be something similar to that.

Edited by bzcat

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And of course when the prices are released, and someone checks off every possible box, we can look forward to the inevitable, "$31k for a Focus, it'll never sell!!!!" reactions.

Was this meant to build off my comment? Mine wasn't meant to be negative toward the Focus (outside of disagreeing with the thought that we should recieve an unrelated-to-anything trim level in the US).

They are showing this car to soon. Everyone will be grumbling why its taking so long to get here just like they did with the Fiesta and everything else. I agree with Muls on not showing cars a few years out but showing what amounts to be a production car a year out is still to long in my opinion.

As far as the car itself, it looks awesome.

When do you show it then? You wait until L.A. when it would be too late to get any of the press out there before the on-sale date? Because it's either now or then. None of the other shows are large enough to really matter. This will be in the news plenty between now and the launch date to keep people interested. In the following months we will see the auto rags do their first looks, first drives, full test drives, and maybe even a comparison or two between now and then. And well, have early intros even really been shown to hurt success of the model? Camaro is selling well, and that was THREE years early. Interest in the Fiesta still seems to be remaining strong as well.

When do you show it then? You wait until L.A. when it would be too late to get any of the press out there before the on-sale date? Because it's either now or then. None of the other shows are large enough to really matter. This will be in the news plenty between now and the launch date to keep people interested. In the following months we will see the auto rags do their first looks, first drives, full test drives, and maybe even a comparison or two between now and then. And well, have early intros even really been shown to hurt success of the model? Camaro is selling well, and that was THREE years early. Interest in the Fiesta still seems to be remaining strong as well.

The fact it most definitely is NOT a concept car makes it ok, builds momentum, recognizabilty and buzz, which ramps up at every subsequent Autoshow....1 year is ok...Camaro BLEW it.....

In theory being the key word there. Coyote more than likely has more efficient cylinder heads and (probably) more effort put into windage control.

So then why weren't these technologies applied to the "new" 2.0L ? Of yeah, got to squeeze that injector in there someplace !

Look at the 5.4, in theory the 5.4 shouldn't be able to compete with the 4.6 on power density due to increased friction caused by the longer stroke, yet it does.

From the F150 engine spec web page

4.6L 3V 292 hp/4.6L = 63.47 hp/L

5.4L 3V 310 hp/5.4L = 57.41 hp/L

Edited by theoldwizard

Was this meant to build off my comment? Mine wasn't meant to be negative toward the Focus (outside of disagreeing with the thought that we should recieve an unrelated-to-anything trim level in the US).

Not really a comment on your comment other than the mention of a high end trim level reminded me of the "overpriced" Fiesta comments. I don't have a problem with a high end model as I think there is a market for it. They should give people as many choices as is fiscally possible. I agree that they need to stick to the standard U.S. names for the trim lines though for the sake of consistency. How about a platinum edition instead of titanium?

countered by less rebates....

Funny you wrote that Dean, as it was going to part of my initial comment. But then I erased it after I looked up 2010 Focus rebates (in my area) and realized they were pretty small in comparison to everyone else out there. ($1K cash back or $500 and financing promos).

1) Well, who says that the numbers given are HP/Torque on E85?

I'm not !

I assume the HP numbers that have been published are for an engine running on E10. My point was, if the engine has been calibrated to also run on E85, that operating mode would likely be tuned for max power, not max economy !

2) I'll buy the 4-5x multiplier on an option, not on a piece of standard equipment.

Your opinion has as much validity as mine !

I know this was touched upon previously, but is it possible the Focus goes on sale in Europe earlier than here in the U.S? Then we could be looking at less than a year before the world-wide launch.

Unrelated, can we look forward to a marketing campaign for the Focus similar to the Fiesta movement?

I dont think they should be concerned with the size of the show for launch. If the car is a big enough deal, it will get media exposure. The Camaro was a joke. 6 months should be a target date for a production car. You dont need a year to build interest and excitement.

Edited by one2gamble

I dont think they should be concerned with the size of the show for launch. If the car is a big enough deal, it will get media exposure. The Camaro was a joke. 6 months should be a target date for a production car. You dont need a year to build interest and excitement.

Do you have anything more than anecdotal evidence as to what the "ideal" launch window is for a new vehicle though? Ford obviously thought the largest auto show in the world was the best place for it. I offer up the Fiesta as evidence to the contrary. I don't see any drop off in interest in that vehicle, even though it was revealed last year. :shrug:

Edited by NickF1011

And of course when the prices are released, and someone checks off every possible box, we can look forward to the inevitable, "$31k for a Focus, it'll never sell!!!!" reactions.

One thing I can guarantee is less "stand alone" options and more "you want that option, buy the next level up package".

Mulally has been pushing this ever since the day he showed up. I'm not saying it is wrong, just different then what folks are used to.

Besides, not that many customers are willing to submit their order and wait 4-8-12 weeks. Once they have decides they want a car, they are likely to buy what is on the lot.

Look at the 2010 Fusion SE. Only available options are auto-dim mirror, SYNC and Sun and SYNC. Want dual ATC or heat seats, get the SEL., even if you don't want leather.

Do you have anything more than anecdotal evidence as to what the "ideal" launch window is for a new vehicle though? Ford obviously thought the largest auto show in the world was the best place for it.

While it is the North American International Auto Show, Chicago has much more floor space, and I expect more (non-press) attendance.

Edited by theoldwizard

One thing I can guarantee is less "stand alone" options and more "you want that option, buy the next level up package".

Mulally has been pushing this ever since the day he showed up. I'm not saying it is wrong, just different then what folks are used to.

Besides, not that many customers are willing to submit their order and wait 4-8-12 weeks. Once they have decides they want a car, they are likely to buy what is on the lot.

Look at the 2010 Fusion SE. Only available options are auto-dim mirror, SYNC and Sun and SYNC. Want dual ATC or heat seats, get the SEL., even if you don't want leather.

actually Wiz...import buyers are and have been FULLY aware of bundles packages/ option for YEARS....sure hasnt hurt two vehicles that immediately spring to mind...Camry and Accord....the only people having a tough time grasping the "bundling" is domestic buyers.....

I know this was touched upon previously, but is it possible the Focus goes on sale in Europe earlier than here in the U.S?

Variation of the Focus (i.e. C-Max) are on sale already in EU.

Unrelated, can we look forward to a marketing campaign for the Focus similar to the Fiesta movement?

I would be surprised. While Fiesta Movement was a good idea, especially to introduce a whole new class of car to US Ford buyers, it was expensive.

Edited by theoldwizard

While it is the North American International Auto Show, Chicago has much more floor space, and I expect more (non-press) attendance.

Maybe, maybe not. But really, the personal attendance is the small part of the equation. These shows are put on mainly for the press. It's not like people living in 98% of the country are willing to travel to see these shows. They will wait for the press to tell them about what was there instead. That's certainly my situation. The auto shows that come around here are pretty lame and show nothing I haven't already seen covered by the automotive press.

actually Wiz...import buyers are and have been FULLY aware of bundles packages/ option for YEARS....sure hasnt hurt two vehicles that immediately spring to mind...Camry and Accord....the only people having a tough time grasping the "bundling" is domestic buyers.....

Yes, I know this. Hopefully, a lot of Focus and Fiesta sale will be conquest sales !

I'm not criticizing the practice; just saying it is different !

Yes, I know this. Hopefully, a lot of Focus and Fiesta sale will be conquest sales !

I'm not criticizing the practice; just saying it is different !

only to those that like to pick and choose EVERY SINGLE item and drive sales personell nutz.....lol! and.....its STILL that way with trucks, the ordering guides are 20 plus pages....ARRRRG! case in point, WHY are floormats an option on XLT Transit connects???????

Not really a comment on your comment other than the mention of a high end trim level reminded me of the "overpriced" Fiesta comments. I don't have a problem with a high end model as I think there is a market for it. They should give people as many choices as is fiscally possible. I agree that they need to stick to the standard U.S. names for the trim lines though for the sake of consistency. How about a platinum edition instead of titanium?

Ok, that makes sense, just wanted to check. As for using the Platinum designation, I would disagree with that as well - the truck lineup has always had it's own trim designations for as long as I can remember (one of the few exceptions, I suppose, is the F-150 'Limited' model done for 2009) - I think Platinum should stick with the trucks.

I know this was touched upon previously, but is it possible the Focus goes on sale in Europe earlier than here in the U.S? Then we could be looking at less than a year before the world-wide launch.

I thought the talk was it would be on sale here first, maybe I'm just thinking of the debut, though.

As for a "Focus Movement," that sounds like a deviation from Mulally's "laser Focus" plan..... :hysterical::hysterical: ....sorry, had to

In all seriousness, my thought is that no, we won't see a Focus movement. I may be wrong, but I think the purpose behind the Fiesta Movement was to build support and recognition for a vehicle most Americans didn't know existed, let alone that it'd be one of Ford's newest vehicles. With the Focus, most people know it's a c-sized Ford sedan, so while yeah, there's a new great model out now, the general recognition is already there. That's my thought anyway....

What I'm sooooo sick of is Ford's unwillingness to accept that there is a market for a 3 door in the US. The original Focus line had a 3 door and it was very popular. Honda sells lots of Civic and Accord coupes, yet Ford refuses to realize the coupe market in the US with the Fusion, Focus, and the Fiesta. I love Ford, but I'm so frustrated by this! Come on Ford...get your collective heads out of your butts! The current 3 door Focus in Europe absolutely ROCKS, particularly in ST and RS trim.

What I'm sooooo sick of is Ford's unwillingness to accept that there is a market for a 3 door in the US. The original Focus line had a 3 door and it was very popular. Honda sells lots of Civic and Accord coupes, yet Ford refuses to realize the coupe market in the US with the Fusion, Focus, and the Fiesta. I love Ford, but I'm so frustrated by this! Come on Ford...get your collective heads out of your butts! The current 3 door Focus in Europe absolutely ROCKS, particularly in ST and RS trim.

dont get me wrong, I agree, but the 5 door is a more practical vehicle as far as ingress and exit is concerned, has the same utility when rear seats are folded down...AND is cheaper to insure, PLUS I dont have to get out of the car in the pouring rain to let a rear seat passenger out....cosmetically and stylistically though, the 3 door rocks.....

Not that I completely disagree, but there is currently no 3-door Civic (or Accord) or Corolla sold here. And there is a Focus coupe currently available, although I would expect to see it die with the new model.

What I'm sooooo sick of is Ford's unwillingness to accept that there is a market for a 3 door in the US. The original Focus line had a 3 door and it was very popular.

They still sold more sedans then hatchbacks...IIRC the last year they had all the body styles on the market, the Hatchbacks didn't even make up 30% of total sales.