Adios Falcon...:(

Let's hope the US media pick up the real story and Ford comes out and confirms it.

Seeing that the media here (I mean there) in the U.S. have recently been giving Ford all the kudos, I think you can trust they will.

Ahhh.... John.... imagine walking into your local "Peter Warren" showroom... Falcon GT in one corner... LTD in the other... Falcon 500 Coupe to your left, sitting neatly beside a Mustang.... G Series covering the right hand side...

And up the back... one Vermilion Fire H.O.

Edited by falcman

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So this begs the question, is the current S197 going to be the platform that is used to underpin the next gen Falcon and Mustang?

It can handle IRS, but can it be stretched out into a Sedan and have the NHV for a Lincoln product? You'd have to figure that Ford would have 80% of the engineering work for the next gen Mustang taken care of doing this and just spend the money on making it into a Sedan.

So this begs the question, is the current S197 going to be the platform that is used to underpin the next gen Falcon and Mustang?

It can handle IRS, but can it be stretched out into a Sedan and have the NHV for a Lincoln product? You'd have to figure that Ford would have 80% of the engineering work for the next gen Mustang taken care of doing this and just spend the money on making it into a Sedan.

Ah, we're thinking of things the hard way.

Ford has this neat Virtual build software that enables a lot of "what if" designs to be developed and was

used on the 2010 Taurus to great effect reducing the project delivery time by almost 12 months.

Perhaps Ford has pooled all its RWD engineering form Falcon, Mustang and high series DEW in the hopes

of developing a super platform with multiple combinations of framing and suspensions possible.

I would see this as a great opportunity to merge a whole heap of good ideas under the one project

helping to control costs and eliminate the perception of disjointed development.

Edited by jpd80

I could see the sedan version being used in the US for a performance model Lincoln. I believe someone has been dropping hints of this lately...cough MKR cough. The CTS-V could certainly use a little competition. :shades:

Probably wishful thinking but a rebirth of the Thunderbird would be nice as well. Oh, and while we're dreaming maybe Ford could see fit to bring that ute thingy over here too. But please give it a proper name. Ranchero anyone?

Oh, and while we're dreaming maybe Ford could see fit to bring that ute thingy over here too. But please give it a proper name. Ranchero anyone?

Based on the lackluster performance of any other recent body-and-bed-combined type of vehicles in the U.S. lately (Baja, Ridgeline, Avalanche, Envoy XUV, never-seen-the-light-of-day G8 Sportwagon) I'm guessing Ford would think long and hard before considering that one.

Ford have just shot themselves in the foot BIGTIME, its a bit like Ford killing off the F-Series Stateside Aussies don't buy much else from Ford in any big numbers down under.

Holden & Yota will be rubbing their hands in glee, and filling their boots with disaffected Falcon buyer sales.

You've apparently missed the whole thing about the Falcon NOT going away, huh?

You've apparently missed the whole thing about the Falcon NOT going away, huh?

my prediction, the BLENDED chassis will be under the Falcon/ mustang special edition/ MkR and fords flagship ( whatever that may be, but I envisage something coming in above the Taurus ) and it WILL be RWD with IRS...

fords flagship ( whatever that may be, but I envisage something coming in above the Taurus ) and it WILL be RWD with IRS...

I don't see a sedan slotting in above Taurus...whats the point? But how about a 4 seat Thunderbird convertible? :) I can see a good business case for 10-20K of them at 40k+

my prediction, the BLENDED chassis will be under the Falcon/ mustang special edition/ MkR and fords flagship ( whatever that may be, but I envisage something coming in above the Taurus ) and it WILL be RWD with IRS...

Highly doubt there's going to be anything coming in "above" Taurus, even when it shrinks down a tad next generation. It may get moved to RWD, that idea apparently comes around regularly, but it will be the range-topper. If they do a US Falcon or Ford MKR which is NOT the Taurus, it will NOT be a new Crown Vic/LTD land yacht.

I used to include a Tbird in my LIST as a Continental-mate

but am considering it less & less likely

but if it happens, it'd only be "above" the Taurus in price/cachet, not size

Edited by 2b2