2011 MKX revealed

I like the front, its a nice evolution, I dont really care much for the rear..its not ugly, but it doesn't tell me a story. The emblem is just sitting in a field and the first thing that draws your eye is the handle to open the liftgate. I prefer the complete wrap around light bar.

The rear reminds of something you'd see on an Acura.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard NY or LA...

Explorer at Chicago.

Tracer?

MKX and Edge have a Job 1 of May 10 -- can't be LA

I heard Mercury Compact in another thread in Chicago.

Was that with a capital "C" Compact or little "c" compact???

The rear reminds of something you'd see on an Acura.

or a Mercury?? ;)

Edited by 2b2

In other words, regenerative breaking for a non-hybrid vehicle. Is this the first such application?

I don't think so. Regenerative, IIRC, involves using the hybrid's electric motor as a generator. The wheels (via the differential & transmission) spin the armature in the motor and generate an electric field that recharges the battery during regenerative braking (as I understand it). Spinning the armature takes energy from the wheels, slowing down the car.

This isn't exactly regenerative braking as such, rather it's using more of the engine's energy for charging than would be used under load.

Say the alternator takes 5% of the engine's output under load. Well, when the engine's not under load (e.g. coasting or braking), the alternator takes, say 15%.

At least that's how I understand it.

Edited by RichardJensen

Goodbye egg crate grill.. :( Hello Baleen whale monstrosity..

Haven't seen or heard anything about an upgrade 3.5 in the Edge, hopefully it gets the same TiVCT and about 290 horsepower, no need for a face only a mother whale could love.

I am hoping for the debut of the new 2.0LEB engine in the new Edge. That alone would make it a significant reveal. However, it wouldn't surprise me if they hold off until Explorer before they launch that engine.

Crazy engine management changes. Engine is an Atkinson Cycle as well.... ?huh?

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=31725

Technically if the intake valve is open at all during the compression stroke, you can call it an Atkinson Cycle engine. With VVT, this can be turned on or off. I doubt that the valve is open all that long or the engine would not have the power. They may leave it open to control the bad effects of high compression.

I think the quote is more of a statement of things to come using new technology. With 12:1 compression on the new 2.0L, I can see it needing a part time Atkinson Cycle. I also see much more value when used with turbos.

I don't think so. Regenerative, IIRC, involves using the hybrid's electric motor as a generator. The wheels (via the differential & transmission) spin the armature in the motor and generate an electric field that recharges the battery during regenerative braking (as I understand it). Spinning the armature takes energy from the wheels, slowing down the car.

This isn't exactly regenerative braking as such, rather it's using more of the engine's energy for charging than would be used under load.

Say the alternator takes 5% of the engine's output under load. Well, when the engine's not under load (e.g. coasting or braking), the alternator takes, say 15%.

At least that's how I understand it.

Well, BMW is implementing just this system, and they are calling it regen braking so, since the Germans are superior in every regard, it must be true.

But of course that's a bit of a stretch considering the size of the battery. As you say, it's just intelligent engine/electrical management.

But is does shows the lengths the manufacturers are going to reduce parasitic loads. This type of item would have been buried midpack in a fuel economy opportunity list a number of years ago. Now, everything is on the table.

Crazy engine management changes. Engine is an Atkinson Cycle as well.... ?huh?

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=31725

IMO, this seems to be an error. You would give up too much low end torque. In hybrids it's covered up by the electric motor, so it works.

Perhaps someone did a cut and paste and left in the bit about Atkins cycle from a hybrid writeup, but that's just my guess.

305hp/280lb-ft 3.7L

Upgraded 6 speed makes it possible, I'd assume.

OH MY GOD! YES! This thing is perfect! Its gorgeous and powerful.

And most of all, it sets itself apart from the Edge better than any other Ford badge engineered vehicle.

It is obvious that we will see the EcoBoost 2.0 in this as a base engine. 255hp ~255lb-ft of torque.

You can tell that the split-wing grille design on this model is an evolution of the current models. It looks much better than the one of the MKT and MKS for that matter. Good job Ford.

Edited by GT-Keith

Very nice interior, i like the rear exterior too, i just wish they would stop making the front similiar throughout the lineup. Cant wait to see the edge.

The rear looks a lot more upscale than I first would have thought from the spy photos. The lense treatment looks very nice. That interior looks amazing!!

I think the front end looks good. That grille design seems best suited to a vehicle of this height. It looks like it's trying too hard to squeeze onto some of the other models.

I don't mind using the same grill design on all Lincolns. BMW has been doing it for years and it makes their vehicles instantly identifiable as BMWs.

It needs some tweaking though to get it exactly right. Perhaps changing the height and width a bit on some models would help more. It looks too tall and narrow on the MKT for some reason.

It needs some tweaking though to get it exactly right. Perhaps changing the height and width a bit on some models would help more. It looks too tall and narrow on the MKT for some reason.

Agreed. On the MKT, it doesn't look as big in person as it does in photos but it still needs a little downsizing to look right.

I'm impressed with the engine update. The atkinson cycle bit, if you read closely, is a fuel efficency mode of operation that is used when the full power of the engine isn't needed. It won't make the engine appear gutless to the driver. You have to remember, this engine, as are most now, is fully electronically controlled. The driver gives it a throttle position and the computer decides, given its programming, how to run the engine to get that power in the most efficient manner. If it can get the requested power while operating the engine in the atkinson mode, then all the better.

As for intelligent charging, it is, IMHO, VERY similar to regenerative braking. Instead of using a motor/generator that sits between the gas engine and transmission, it uses the energy imparted to the crankshaft by the transmission allowing engine braking under braking conditions. This converts a portion of the vehicles kinetic energy into crankshaft torque, turning the alternator, which will be fully engaged at the time, to charge the car's battery. This will, of course, be of more benifit in the city than on the highway, but, it is another trick to make the vehicle more efficient and to deal with the extra charging load that the battery will need due to the intelligent start/stop for the gas engine. Look at it as a way to just better manage the charging needs of the battery, which will be increased in the new setup.

Does anyone know if they have switched to an electric A/C compressor, or is this another fuel saving feature that will almost NEVER be used in warmer climates?