• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is that from? looks like a chop.

Its from here:

http://www.burlappcars.com/2010/02/2011-mercury-tracer.html

And to quote from the site:

If this scan sent to me by a reader is anything to go by, don't expect a brand new car.

The Tracer could just be a slightly fancier Focus. Just like the Milan is a Mercury Fusion.

I think it's a chop too - likely done off of a new Focus brochure.

No no wait! Festiva! :ohsnap:

Bobcat anyone!

My choice is Comet

That would be my overall choicw as well. Comet sounds sportier than Tracer. Tracer doesn't have negative stigma though.

I think any vehicle whose name can also be the driver's profession is a good one

So the Mercury hooker is out I take it? :happy feet:

I never insinuated that 70's sedans were any better. At least in the 50's and 60's, it can be claimed that those underpowered, ill-handling boats had style.

Just checking, I've had many arguments with people who think a 454 SS Chevelle handeled like a go-kart. I checked today to make sure. When the 440 Hemi was rated on net horsepower, before smog equipment, it made 330 hp. The 4.6 L (281 cu in.) makes 315, with emmission equipment that would totally choke that hemi.

Edited by WC Man

Just checking, I've had many arguments with people who think a 454 SS Chevelle handeled like a go-kart. I checked today to make sure. When the 440 Hemi was rated on net horsepower, before smog equipment, it made 330 hp. The 4.6 L (281 cu in.) makes 315, with emmission equipment that would totally choke that hemi.

440 Hemi?

Do you mean the 440 wedge or the 426 Hemi?

Yeah, there is NO doubt that the newer vehicles engines make awesome power without all the fanfair of the older pony and muscle cars.

Some how it doesn't seem right - You should have to pay for having the power by having an interior that sounds like youre in a 55 gallon drum being beaten with a stick, overheating at every traffic light, and 9 miles per gallon on a great day!

No no wait! Festiva! :ohsnap:

Hey! I loved my Kiazda! :P

Bobcat anyone!

That would be my overall choicw as well. Comet sounds sportier than Tracer. Tracer doesn't have negative stigma though.

You don't really want the Mercury version to sound sportier than the Ford.

So the Mercury hooker is out I take it? :happy feet:

HP rating on those old muscle cars was a joke. The car companies, back then, were allowed to rate the HP themselves. They rated it to much lower than it really was to appease the insurance industry. That's the reason the 428CJ, the Boss 429, and the 460 were all rated at 385HP. (One of these was -seriously- underrated) BTW, the Boss 351 was rated at 335.

(Oh, and the 440 and the 429 hemi were never -without- smog equipment. Smog controls started in 1968.)

Way back in the '90s, one of the car magazines decided to test early '70s muscle using modern rubber. They had a nearly stock 440 B-body (GTX or Satellite, forget which) rip through the 1/4 mile in the mid-12's. That's an approximately 2-ton car. Kinda like the GT500, which is currently rated at... 500HP.

And, yeah, "muscle cars" and "handle" were rarely used in the same sentence without the word "don't".

^^^ i disagree with this statement, mercury at wont point meant performance, cougar, cyclone etc.... the should think of it as a cross between mazda and lincoln.

where did the name tracer come from anyway does it envoke the image that in this car i will find you!

(Oh, and the 440 and the 429 hemi were never -without- smog equipment. Smog controls started in 1968.)

Depends on the state. Here in California, we started smog controls (PCV and such) in 1961. Tailpipe controls started in 1966. For those first two years, we were saddled with the terrible Thermactor air pump.

^^^ i disagree with this statement, mercury at wont point meant performance, cougar, cyclone etc.... the should think of it as a cross between mazda and lincoln.

where did the name tracer come from anyway does it envoke the image that in this car i will find you!

hey Saintlaz, in a convo elsewhere a different naming idea surfaced...

given that it's a no-brainer that the current FocusCabrio's replacement really ought to be marketed globally as the MERCURY CAPRI yes.gif

What would you think of the Merc C3 sedan being called CORTINA

and saving TRACER for a Merc C-Max/Grand C-Max?**

imho Mercury Cortina sounds too good with Mercury Capri AND Mercury Milan not to do it :D

** tho really, it might make more sense to use an "M" name for the MAX

so

- the family-ish vehicles would be Milan, Mariner, & M-whatever(Max) ...S-Max too!!

&

- the sporty ones would be "C": Capri, Cortina, & eventually COUGAR

Edited by 2b2

hey Saintlaz, in a convo elsewhere a different naming idea surfaced...

given that it's a no-brainer that the current FocusCabrio's replacement really ought to be marketed globally as the MERCURY CAPRI yes.gif

What would you think of the Merc C3 sedan being called CORTINA

and saving TRACER for a Merc C-Max/Grand C-Max?**

imho Mercury Cortina sounds too good with Mercury Capri AND Mercury Milan not to do it :D

** tho really, it might make more sense to use an "M" name for the MAX

so

- the family-ish vehicles would be Milan, Mariner, & M-whatever(Max) ...S-Max too!!

&

- the sporty ones would be "C": Capri, Cortina, & eventually COUGAR

ion, i like the wholI dont know im just old fashj

I dont know i guess im just old fashion, i like Mercury being the sign of the cat to some degree, so im still going with my cat names of Lynx, Cougar. I even wouldnt mind Puma, but i also love the celestial names such as Comet and Messenger. i guess i do just say the same thing over again. lol. i do like Capri only because it would fit well with the Milan name using cities.

Plus 2b2 you know i hate the idea of a cmax etc.. anywhere near the Mercury nameplate. i do still hope for the cabrio version of the focus to bare the Mercury badge on it.

...i do like Capri only because it would fit well with the Milan name using cities.

Plus 2b2 you know i hate the idea of a cmax etc.. anywhere near the Mercury nameplate. i do still hope for the cabrio version of the focus to bare the Mercury badge on it.

yeah I know

surrender.gif just got carried away

btw, Cortina is a mountain resort town in Italy

as well as a heritage Name of course

Edited by 2b2

Capri would be a great name for a global Focus cabriolet.

Tracer... I'm not a fan of the name. Reminds me of the movie Tron.

And Cortina would sound great, IF this was the 70's (IMHO)!

I much prefer resort-city names like Milan, Capri, Montego & Monterey.

Savannah or Somerset may be good names for a micro-van.

• 2 weeks later...

Capri would be a great name for a global Focus cabriolet.

Tracer... I'm not a fan of the name. Reminds me of the movie Tron.

And Cortina would sound great, IF this was the 70's (IMHO)!

I much prefer resort-city names like Milan, Capri, Montego & Monterey.

Savannah or Somerset may be good names for a micro-van.

I hate the name Tracer! Not really an image grabbing name if you ask me. And to trace really means to copy or draw over something that already exists.

I prefer the resort city names for Mercury as well.

Savannah (without the "H") and Somerset (old Buick Regal model later applied to a N-body variant) are GM names.

Anyone who looks back fondly at any American sedan built in the 1980's is in serious need of a psychological evaluation. stirpot.gif

If it wasn't for the 1986 Taurus, FoMoCo probably wouldn't be here right now. For that reason, I am pretty fond of it.

Edited by Pioneer

If it wasn't for the 1986 Taurus, FoMoCo probably wouldn't be here right now. For that reason, I am pretty fond of it.

I was fond of the original Taurus too. That doesn't mean it was a particularly good car, especially in comparison to anything available today. And yes, I know I'm in need of psychological evaluation. :confused:

Edited by NickF1011

I hate the name Tracer! Not really an image grabbing name if you ask me. And to trace really means to copy or draw over something that already exists.

I prefer the resort city names for Mercury as well.

Savannah (without the "H") and Somerset (old Buick Regal model later applied to a N-body variant) are GM names.

I think of either tracer rounds, or ray-tracing

I am looking very fondly at my 1984 Tbird I am restoring which my step mother owned since it was brand new! It is still a solid car! And nothing beats those solid aircraft sytle doors that still close with a quality you just do not see on new vehicles these days.