Upcoming Ford Coupe Shown in CBS Special

My only beef with Ford building a Corvette competitor would be that Ford may decide to cap the Mustang's performance.

Why? If anything a Corvette competitor would be more luxurious..but at the same time I really don't see why Ford should be chasing the Corvette, when the Mustang is around and in doing so (chasing the vette) they would need a whole new platform. Unless they are pulling out the GT40 platform and updating the sheetmetal...that would be interesting.

I'd like to see a Coupe sedan concept T-bird which would sell more...and provide a platform for a Halo MKR Lincoln product.

Perhaps Ford intends to bring back the legendary Cobra in both open air and Daytona Coupe iterations?

My thoughts exactly, especially on the Daytona Coupe. And I know some on here hated it, but I actually liked the Cobra roadster concept from a few years back. The Ford Performance Trilogy video of the Shelby Cobra, the Ford GT, and the then-new Mustang tearing around the streets is still instant classic.

Edited by OHV 16V

Apart from Mustang and Falcon, all development of RWD vehicles for Ford and Lincoln was halted in early 2008.

Even if there's a coupe based on Mustang, I don't see why or how Ford would be devoting resources to an extreme

niche like that when so much work has still to be done on volume FWD vehicles for Ford and Lincoln.

when so much work has still to be done on volume FWD vehicles for Ford and Lincoln.

In all seriousness...what does Ford really need to improve upon that isn't already in the pipe? I'm sure most engineering has been done for products that are launching between now and 2013...if not farther out then that.

The Mondeo and Fusion are an improvement on the current EUCD platform. The Taurus is getting MCE in 2012/13 and replacement in 2014/15 based on the EUCD.

Apart from Mustang and Falcon, all development of RWD vehicles for Ford and Lincoln was halted in early 2008.

Even if there's a coupe based on Mustang, I don't see why or how Ford would be devoting resources to an extreme

niche like that when so much work has still to be done on volume FWD vehicles for Ford and Lincoln.

ahh, but they still have all the knowledge and lessons learnt from the Ford GT....is there another higher end halo car on the Horizon......is this the car the 4.7 eco may show up in?

That car is an early design study for the current Taurus circa 2007. If it looks new to you, it should. Any design language you see in the showrooms today was effectively conceptualized a minimum of 2 years ago. Most concepts are effectively 4 years old by the time they hit showrooms. As crazy as it sounds, the next generation Mustang's styling is nearly finished. Any major changes between now and 2015 are purely functional.

Well, I drew this Taurus 2 years ago:

taurus.jpg

In all seriousness...what does Ford really need to improve upon that isn't already in the pipe? I'm sure most engineering has been done for products that are launching between now and 2013...if not farther out then that.

The Mondeo and Fusion are an improvement on the current EUCD platform. The Taurus is getting MCE in 2012/13 and replacement in 2014/15 based on the EUCD.

Exactly, there's a lot going on at the moment with volume products, these things absorb lots of engineering time to get right. Everyone is either busy finishing off new vehicles or part way through programs.

Ford is waiting for its RWD stakeholders to be ready to discuss the next product cycle starting in 2015. FoA has given themselves until this time next year to decide whether or not they do another RWD Falcon post 2015.

In my opinion, if Ford is really considering a "Corvette fighter" then price has to be a consideration. Since a 'Vette can be had for around $50k, Ford's would have to come in around that range. But then the problem I see is that puts it close to the price range of the GT500. So is that a good idea?

Or will it be more comparable to the GT, whose performance was was notches above the Corvette, but because of its price, wasn't really a Corvette competitor.

Another thought I have, what if this new vehicle will be the basis for the future (2015?) Mustang? They roll out this supercar now, knowing the investment in the platform will be paid for with Mustang development money. I know there has been concern that if the future Mustang has to share its platform with a Falcon and other RWD sedans, it may end up too heavy like the Camaro/Challenger. So they develop a separate platform that will be used not only for the Mustang, but this Ford Corvette, and also maybe a more laid back Thunderbird and a Lincoln variant MKR and maybe something for other markets as well.

In my opinion, if Ford is really considering a "Corvette fighter" then price has to be a consideration. Since a 'Vette can be had for around $50k, Ford's would have to come in around that range. But then the problem I see is that puts it close to the price range of the GT500. So is that a good idea?

Or will it be more comparable to the GT, whose performance was was notches above the Corvette, but because of its price, wasn't really a Corvette competitor.

Another thought I have, what if this new vehicle will be the basis for the future (2015?) Mustang? They roll out this supercar now, knowing the investment in the platform will be paid for with Mustang development money. I know there has been concern that if the future Mustang has to share its platform with a Falcon and other RWD sedans, it may end up too heavy like the Camaro/Challenger. So they develop a separate platform that will be used not only for the Mustang, but this Ford Corvette, and also maybe a more laid back Thunderbird and a Lincoln variant MKR and maybe something for other markets as well.

Ummmm... Is everybody forgetting about the 2011 GT500?

The 2010 GT500 was tested at VIR and lap times were compared to the Vette. The GT500 was 2/10ths of a second slower than the Vette, at roughly the same price.

The 2011 reportedly shaved 9 seconds off the 2010's time at the same track.

Sounds like, short of jumping up to the six-figure ZR-1, the Vette already has it's hands full.

Hmmm... With a 9 second advantage, it might be a better race if you brought three friends along for the ride! :stirpot:

The Mustang won't gain weight for the next generation. Consider the volume the Mustang sells in, then compare it to the volume of any possible platform mate. If any compromises need to be made, they will be in made in the Mustang's favor.