My review: Fiesta S sedan (updated with hatchback review)

The Mini has great steering and handling. It's not an all-around car, but it's a standout in that area, which lets it command a higher-than-economy price.

Isn't it interesting how two different car nuts can have totally different perceptions of same vehicle? Auto reviews are kind of useless for this reason. The best thing to do is drive the vehicle yourself and see how you feel about it. And you have to read a lot of reviews about vehicle you like to form any consensus at all. And even then they don't mean much unless you drive the vehicle in question. All of use have different priorities about life and the vehicles we drive. What matters to one is meaningless to another.

The Mini has great steering and handling. It's not an all-around car, but it's a standout in that area, which lets it command a higher-than-economy price.

cant wait to see a side by side, as practically EVERY Euro car magazine has noted the fiestas superior driving dynamics to the cooper....sorry DC, but the Fiesta TRUMPS the mini in pretty much every parameter....but denial is understood and practically expected due to the medias blatant anti domestic bias.....so far all i can semi complain about is a more 'floaty" disjointed feel when pushing corner limitations ( and remember this is comparing to an S so THATS a given ) lack of left foot heel rest, longer throw gearshift ( short shift will be installed ) and lack of specific gauges ( temp, oil pressure ) ....even utility everyone touts with the Fit, is superior to the mini....its seats headrests were exactly the same

And you get the "bump thump" included at no extra cost! :hysterical:

dont forget a sloppier gearshift, WORSE eronomics, similar if not worse cargo utilization, noisier ambience, worse wind noise, inferior mileage AND higher MSRP....oh the sacrifices made for cachet!

dont forget a sloppier gearshift, WORSE eronomics, similar if not worse cargo utilization, noisier ambience, worse wind noise, inferior mileage AND higher MSRP....oh the sacrifices made for cachet!

Yeah, but what the hell do you know — DC is obviously the greatest automotive "writer" since John Bond started Road & Track. :)

Yeah, but what the hell do you know — DC is obviously the greatest automotive "writer" since John Bond started Road & Track. :)

oh i wouldnt say that, i just think hes fallen into the automotive rut commonly reffered to as "misguided speculative guesswork".....but hey, smaller steering wheels do improve a cars "zippiness".....I LOVED the Minis steering wheel, but the fiestas ( at least to me ) is every bit as good.... :shift:

MT just did a comparo test of the Fiesta SES, Fit, Versa, and Yaris. 1st was Fit, 2nd Fiesta, 3rd Versa, and 4th Yaris. I would have to agree with the results. The outward vision on the Fiesta is too pinched and the room behind rear seats and cargo room is marginal. Spotter mirrors are very important on the Fiesta and I can see why Ford supplies them. Now for those who care most about looks, and have no need for rear seat and cargo room, the Fiesta is a clear winner in every way, but if you have high priority for behind you Fiesta is not as good.

That Motor Trend article was a crock.

What the Genesis was praised for, the Fiesta was condemned for.

agreed...one of the most hypocritical reveiws ive ever heard....the car that rode better, handled better, was a LOT quieter, didnt BUZZ at speed AND got superior mileage was ranked second because of more utility???????????????? I call foul, ranked because...DRUMROLL PLEASE....its considered a DOMESTIC...... :redcard::redcard::redcard:

That Motor Trend article was a crock.

What the Genesis was praised for, the Fiesta was condemned for.

I will agree with you in that MT is not very consistent. Most of the time it seems like MT prefers a driver's car that is real good looking, handles well, and gets excellent fuel mileage. MT even states that the Fit is noisy, not very good handling and lacking in performance, but picks it first anyways. All of a sudden when Ford has something special in a segment, it suddenly values space and outward vision the most. I noticed that also. Kind of strange. MT needs to make up its mind on what it values most and then stay consistent even if it's comparing Honda vs. Ford. Changing priorities to fit the review and result are not fair.

What has happened is that these reviewers set impossibly high standards for products from 'uncool' companies.

In order for the Fiesta to win, it needed to ace the fuel economy, handling, looks, NVH, fit and finish, space AND practicality segments, something it could not have possilby done.

Therefore it finished "2nd" behind Honda's buzzy flimsy homely piece of oversized carry-on luggage.

What has happened is that these reviewers set impossibly high standards for products from 'uncool' companies.

In order for the Fiesta to win, it needed to ace the fuel economy, handling, looks, NVH, fit and finish, space AND practicality segments, something it could not have possilby done.

Therefore it finished "2nd" behind Honda's buzzy flimsy homely piece of oversized carry-on luggage.

If you look to the new buyer's guide in back, they give the Fit 31/2 stars, the Fiesta three stars, and the Yaris one star. All of a sudden, best in class exterior, fuel mileage, and handling don't matter as much to MT. And the Fit needs an update and the Fiesta is brand new. The Fiesta should pass the Fit in sales either this month or next month. Probably September since the Fiesta is still barely tricking into Ford dealerships. At least my neighborhood Ford dealer has a demonstrater now, but very few in stock.

If you look to the new buyer's guide in back, they give the Fit 31/2 stars, the Fiesta three stars, and the Yaris one star. All of a sudden, best in class exterior, fuel mileage, and handling don't matter as much to MT. And the Fit needs an update and the Fiesta is brand new. The Fiesta should pass the Fit in sales either this month or next month. Probably September since the Fiesta is still barely tricking into Ford dealerships. At least my neighborhood Ford dealer has a demonstrater now, but very few in stock.

I just looked up 3 dealers in my area and they all have 2-3 Fiesta's in stock, unable to pull up window stickers, which is weird, as I do it all the time looking at product. Maybe it's a Ford thing as to not seeing window stickers yet.

And the Fit needs an update and the Fiesta is brand new.

Aren't the current designs of the Fit and Fiesta about the same age, since both came out in 2008 (in other markets)?

It should be fairly obvious to anyone cross shopping the Fit and Fiesta that you'd pick the Fit for cargo versatility and the Fiesta for a better drive.

Aren't the current designs of the Fit and Fiesta about the same age, since both came out in 2008 (in other markets)?

It should be fairly obvious to anyone cross shopping the Fit and Fiesta that you'd pick the Fit for cargo versatility and the Fiesta for a better drive.

Yes and yes. Both designs are about the same age. Fit is very versatile, so if you are a couple with a small family and need a small affordable car, it's the way to go. If it's a commuter car, or for a single person, then the Fiesta gets better mileage and drives better. Of course, it's not always that simple and each car maybe better for a particular person. That's why it's nice to have more than one choice. What maybe best for one, may not work as well for the other.

P.S. My wife has a Fit Sport, and it's a decent car. But all the negative things about it would drive me nuts if it were my daily driver. It has tons of road noise, and feels like a tin can at times because of this, and the interior has some things that feel very cheap (like the carpet). It does handle pretty well though. And the space inside is really nice. We've gone on a few family trip with it, and while it is tight in the luggage department, we have managed to get everything needed loaded in it, and it still gets decent gas mileage making the trip more affordable. I think the new Focus coming out will trump them both though (but at the same time cost more). I'll be really tempted in trading off the Honda for a Ford.

I read the MT article and I guess I didn't have huge problems with it, but ranking these cars is actually a bit silly. As others have said, if you're looking for absolute maximum package for around town or if you haul people in the back seat a lot, look at a Fit or maybe a Versa which is almost a c-car. If you're looking for a refined car with great looks and great mileage, buy a Fiesta. But the larger package doesn't necessarily make the Fit a better car.

I personally don't consider the Mini in the same class as the Fiesta, but .... suppose MT had added it to the comparison.

Would it have come in last due to small package, harsh ride, high price, and lack of refinement in some areas?

Or (more likely) would they have had to dream up some other set of criteria to figure out how to knock down the Fiesta?

I think what's also happening here is that so many "enthusiasts" were whining continually "why doesn't Ford give us the really great cars they have in Europe?" without really knowing anything at all about them and having an overly high expectation. Now we have the first one and the Fiesta is nice but much more "normal" than was anticipated, and even has a few silly European quirks. And now the complaining begins "the front end doesn't look good....they dumbed it down...it doesn't have paddle shifters, etc). Neverending. The complainers won't be buying Fords any time soon anyway; they are just looking for an excuse. They won't consider a Ford until they become cool which is going to happen but will take some time. Funny that the magazine authors who should be opinion leaders are actually followers since they won't voice any opinions that aren't consistent with their "enthusiast" following.

As for me, I read these magazines in the library; I see no need to feed them with my subscription dollars, even though they are very cheap ($6 per year). The auto mags are, IMO, becoming increasingly irrelevant.

Edited by Austin

And there again comparing the Fiesta to Honda Fit (Jazz) is a mismatch when you think that

Ford Europe has it's Fusion (fingers crossed for B-Max) as a more appropriate match up.

Perhaps Ford should have Fiesta, B-max and Ecosport variants and steal the whole show..

Edited by jpd80