My review: Fiesta S sedan (updated with hatchback review)

I would like to see Ford offer the numerical pad on the door on the Focus and Fiesta. Now that would be a usefuf option to offer. I know you can have the dealer install one, but it's not near as nice as a factory one that is color matched. Then locking yourself out is never a possibility including leaving your keys in trunk.

I'd go along with that. The new integrated keypad is really a nice touch.

So don't buy one with keyless ignition! :idea: I'm glad Ford is offering options on their smaller vehicles that used to be unheard of in small cars. Just because you want a small car doesn't necessarily mean you want a cheap car.

I didn't know that "push button start" was the great divide between a well featured car and a featureless one. I guess you learn something new everyday. Again, the numerical door pad would be a better option to offer.

I didn't know that "push button start" was the great divide between a well featured car and a featureless one. I guess you learn something new everyday

:rolleyes: It is a feature. One I particularly like, and one that wouldn't have been found on a car like the Fiesta a few years ago. I don't recall referring to it alone as the "great divide", but it is certainly part of the overall package which makes it a nicer car than B-segment vehicles used to be.

I didn't know that "push button start" was the great divide between a well featured car and a featureless one. I guess you learn something new everyday. Again, the numerical door pad would be a better option to offer.

More customers (read: teens and twenty-somethings) want push button start than a door keypad IMO. This is all about marketing to the potential customer base with features and colors they want.

I bet they just didn't have time to build the keypad into the doors and we'll see it within a year or two (if there are a lot of requests for the dealer option).

Yeah. But you own a Mini, a nice fine British type vehicle that was all Germaned up when it was relaunched.

want to talk quirky ergonomics theres a culprit right there, and shes been long gone..spat a sparkplug and crackerd the heads...$PENDY...so bye bye import hello Domestic.

I am continually amused/annoyed by that brand of Euro-snob who views well-engineered simplicity with contempt.

The person who snorts at a molded cupholder because it does not have as many moving parts as a wristwatch--even if said cupholder is far better suited for its task (holding cups) than the spindly plastic thing that unfolds itself from the dashboard.

The person who subsequently dismisses the unsuitability of the excessively engineered crap that he loves by blaming the victim: "It's your fault you tried to put a cup FULL OF LIQUID in the cupholder" "It's your fault you DRINK in your car" "It's your fault that you Americans are so fat and lazy that you can't possibly wait until you get home to drink your McDonalds shake"

"It's your fault that you didn't take your $18,000 VW Golf in for its $389.00 3 month maintenance. That's why the Check Engine Light has been on for the last 3 fill ups"

"You put bad gas in it"

"Maybe if you Americans weren't so cheap and lazy, and didn't INSIST on cars not breaking down, you'd be happy with your VW"

And so on and so forth.

I hate crap like this FoE lock nonsense. It's Effing ridiculous. Put a switch on the G-D front door panels and door lock levers on the other two.

You can't POSSIBLY convince me that this ludicrous system with its flashing LEDs is CHEAPER than the damnably simple way that locks work in the hopelessly backward North American continent.

if door lock our only complaint we will be ok.

the HMI from FOE is absolutly brilliant. it is simple and intuitive.

the fiesta when optioned out, is an amazing packages. it really blew me away.

It has Map lights for the rear passengers, WTF

I don't know if I want the next foucs or the fiesta. I Can't wait until the next Focus bows next year.

Edited by Biker16

So don't buy one with keyless ignition! :idea: I'm glad Ford is offering options on their smaller vehicles that used to be unheard of in small cars. Just because you want a small car doesn't necessarily mean you want a cheap car.

its standard on my car, so no choice, i would have been quite happy with the integrated keyless entry Key with a regualr ignition, but I'll adapt ( dont really have a choice...)

I bet they just didn't have time to build the keypad into the doors and we'll see it within a year or two (if there are a lot of requests for the dealer option).

I suspect if it's implemented it will be implemented in the Flex/MKS/Taurus fashion, embedded in the B Pillar, and so wouldn't show up until the MCE.

How would you leave it in the car if you never took it out of your pocket? I'd find the chances to be slimmer than locking yourself out of a running car that requires you to put a key in the ignition.

tell that to my porters..AND it was a valuable lesson, seriously the car should NOT be able to relock the drivers door if the car IS running and someone doesnt want the key annoying them in their pocket.....and they exit the car and close the door behind them.... :ohsnap:

It was not that long ago when Mercedes first started using push button keyless start and had big time troubles with it and their quality rating suffered because of it.

Mercedes' quality had begun to suffer long before they ever implemented push-button start. That was just another chapter in the saga.

More customers (read: teens and twenty-somethings) want push button start than a door keypad IMO. This is all about marketing to the potential customer base with features and colors they want.

IMO, the B pillar keypad feature on the Taurus and MKS is the most brilliant feature ever offered on a car in recent years. I love the look and feel of it and how it lights up with just a mere brush of your hand. A brilliantly designed feature. Now I hope the B pillar keypad is offered on all Ford products including Focus and Fiesta. And very practical and something no other manufacturer offers. I also love the puddle lamps built into outside mirror as I have that feature on my Taurus SES Sport. Ford needs to offer that on its low end vehicles like Focus and Fiesta plus the Escape.

I am continually amused/annoyed by that brand of Euro-snob who views well-engineered simplicity with contempt.

The person who snorts at a molded cupholder because it does not have as many moving parts as a wristwatch--even if said cupholder is far better suited for its task (holding cups) than the spindly plastic thing that unfolds itself from the dashboard.

The person who subsequently dismisses the unsuitability of the excessively engineered crap that he loves by blaming the victim: "It's your fault you tried to put a cup FULL OF LIQUID in the cupholder" "It's your fault you DRINK in your car" "It's your fault that you Americans are so fat and lazy that you can't possibly wait until you get home to drink your McDonalds shake"

"It's your fault that you didn't take your $18,000 VW Golf in for its $389.00 3 month maintenance. That's why the Check Engine Light has been on for the last 3 fill ups"

"You put bad gas in it"

"Maybe if you Americans weren't so cheap and lazy, and didn't INSIST on cars not breaking down, you'd be happy with your VW"

And so on and so forth.

I hate crap like this FoE lock nonsense. It's Effing ridiculous. Put a switch on the G-D front door panels and door lock levers on the other two.

You can't POSSIBLY convince me that this ludicrous system with its flashing LEDs is CHEAPER than the damnably simple way that locks work in the hopelessly backward North American continent.

Amazing! I am so used to getting slammed by RJ that I could not resist responding to this post that I 100% agree!

I constantly have to pull out the operator’s manual for my wife's BMW X3 to figure out how to work ANYTHING and EVERYTHING in the entire car! There are lights, symbols, icons and buttons with stuff on them all over the place and I have no idea what any of them mean. This is the least intuitive, overly useless engineered machine I have ever seen. Yet, everyone brags on BMW. I'll take an American Ford any day - thank you!

• Like 1

I'd go along with that. The new integrated keypad is really a nice touch.

Wow! Two for two with the moderators! I agree with Nick on this one - the Ford keypad is the single best feature on a car for people who spend time doing outdoor activities - skiing, mtn. biking, hiking etc. I hate having to worry about my keys when skiing in 2 ft of powder - forgetting to zip a pocket, it can and does happen!

Amazing! I am so used to getting slammed by RJ that I could not resist responding to this post that I 100% agree!

I constantly have to pull out the operator’s manual for my wife's BMW X3 to figure out how to work ANYTHING and EVERYTHING in the entire car! There are lights, symbols, icons and buttons with stuff on them all over the place and I have no idea what any of them mean. This is the least intuitive, overly useless engineered machine I have ever seen. Yet, everyone brags on BMW. I'll take an American Ford any day - thank you!

+1 from moi...complexity for compleity sake is un-necessary...however the techno dweebies constantly demand more...self parking anyone?...Sports results anyone? Blis? collision avoidance Radar cruise control...I mean holy crap batman, its going to get to the point where dealers will have to hire Delivery specific personnel that resemble walking encyclopedias.....the tech and gadgetry is getting out of control...and they come at a cost as well...

Wow! Two for two with the moderators! I agree with Nick on this one - the Ford keypad is the single best feature on a car for people who spend time doing outdoor activities - skiing, mtn. biking, hiking etc. I hate having to worry about my keys when skiing in 2 ft of powder - forgetting to zip a pocket, it can and does happen!

Doesn't it irritate you when people say it's just a gimmick and it's not useful at all or that Onstar is better? The keypad is one feature I really miss on my Fusion (yes, I know you can get an aftermarket stick on version). It's so nice not having to worry about locking your keys in the car.

I don't mind the door mounted version although the B pillar version is really slick. I wonder if it's cost effective for lower end Fords though.

I don't mind the door mounted version although the B pillar version is really slick. I wonder if it's cost effective for lower end Fords though.

I can't see it being an expensive addition at all if it is being engineered into the pillar from the get-go. As a retrofit I could see it being troublesome though.

Doesn't it irritate you when people say it's just a gimmick and it's not useful at all or that Onstar is better? The keypad is one feature I really miss on my Fusion (yes, I know you can get an aftermarket stick on version). It's so nice not having to worry about locking your keys in the car.

excellent feature...but i passed, the TACK ON version implemented for the Fiesta is cheap looking IMO......looks like a out of place aftermarket pimple....integrated would be nice....

excellent feature...but i passed, the TACK ON version implemented for the Fiesta is cheap looking IMO......looks like a out of place aftermarket pimple....integrated would be nice....

Yes, it looks horrible. If I add it to the Fusion I'll probably put it out of sight where I can still use it for emergencies. Sort of like hiding an extra key.

That reminds me, does the new Edge have the door-mounted keypad? I really do not like the way it looks. I think it looks terrible on the Fusion. The tack-on one looks even worse, but the factory door keypad isn't really a whole lot better.

That reminds me, does the new Edge have the door-mounted keypad? I really do not like the way it looks. I think it looks terrible on the Fusion. The tack-on one looks even worse, but the factory door keypad isn't really a whole lot better.

It blends in better on some vehicles than others if it's body color.

I liked the way they did it on the SUVs - the buttons are smaller and built into the top edge of the door between the weatherstrip and the door handle. Much sleeker and probably less expensive than the motion activated LEDs in the B pillar.