My review: Fiesta S sedan (updated with hatchback review)

Exactly one mfr. has the keypad.

Ford.

But it is weird to occasionally (very occasionally) stumble across a Nissan with the keypad.

IIRC, the first Ford division car to have the keypad was the 1980 Thunderbird (also first with a 4-speed overdrive auto). T-Bird was also first with standard front disc brakes (1965), fingertip cruise control (1966) and 4-wheel ABS (1987).

I won't own another car without the keypad. It's so convenient when going to the beach to just toss your keys in the trunk and not have to worry about them. I first had it on my 87 Turbo Coupe and currently have the Ford after market unit on my Mustang. It took less than 5 minutes to install. For all practical purposes, it acts like a normal remote keyfob. You just have to enter a 5 digit password for it to unlock the doors or open the trunk..

great little option, and I would have specd it on the Fiesta barring the tacky application, it LOOKS aftermarket, even the edges application isnt clean IMO, but at least its color keyed to the cars exterior, the Fiesta is a black wart....

Stick it on the inside of the fuel filler door.

Keypad009.jpg

not sure i agree, i think your hurdle is you just arent used to it....and DC...very few manufacturers have keypads...VERY few...the option on the fiesta is a mere $95..oh and your projected ( naughty boy taking journalistic licence there DC ) Bump Thump on 16 inch factory wheel and tire packages is a total non issue....

Have you driven both to say whether the ride is any less smooth than on the S, or are you doing the same thing you accuse me of doing?

All I did was raise the possibility: be on the lookout for x, just in case. I do that all the time, across brands, and for better or for worse. "This version of Car Y has a stiff ride; the base may be smoother." "This Fiesta had interior assembly problems; later-production models may be better." Etc.

What I meant on the keypads is that, yes, very few manufacturers have them, so it doesn't make sense to continually criticize nearly everyone for not following suit. It would be the equivalent of criticizing every car that doesn't have OnStar or a 10-year warranty some other feature that's nearly exclusive to a particular automaker.

An odd remark from you, considering your apparent willingness to grant VW the benefit of the doubt when it came to their rosy projections for this market.

VW is a company that *has* screwed up something as basic as locks...............

Sales projections of Volkswagen are now relevant to the Fiesta's poor ergonomics? Ooookay.

If I review a VW with a lousy door lock system, I'll be sure to point it out. But if nothing else, locks have been just fine on the VWs I've driven.

Sales projections of Volkswagen are now relevant to the Fiesta's poor ergonomics? Ooookay.

It amuses me that you'll defend VW's locking system which is just marginally better than the Fiesta's.

Why, I swa'n, Mr. DC Car Examiner, I declare, I have met people who knew it all before, but I don't know that I've ever met one as young as you.

It's so good of you to tell us how the gosh-darn backwards VW locks are okay while the dag-gone Fiesta system is unacceptable, and such other fine points as will by golly make our lives so much more worth living. And all that for a mere ten cents a click.

Truly, suh, you are one a' the last true philanthropists.

It amuses me that you'll defend VW's locking system which is just marginally better than the Fiesta's.

Why, I swa'n, Mr. DC Car Examiner, I declare, I have met people who knew it all before, but I don't know that I've ever met one as young as you.

It's so good of you to tell us how the gosh-darn backwards VW locks are okay while the dag-gone Fiesta system is unacceptable, and such other fine points as will by golly make our lives so much more worth living. And all that for a mere ten cents a click.

Truly, suh, you are one a' the last true philanthropists.

The VW lock system isn't ideal, but at least you have a control on each door. I'd initially forgotten altogether that it was any different from another car's because it's unobtrusive. On the Fiesta, the salesman was having trouble getting into the back seat to place a dealer tag.

But yes, if that's the point you were trying to make by raising sales projections, VW is also overcomplicating something that should be very simple: a button that shows whether a door is locked that you can push back and forth or up and down.

I'm looking forward to this!

Test drive tomorrow morning, unless the cars have already sold -- which is not out of the question.

Edited by DC Car Examiner

because it's unobtrusive.

Wait till the mad crazy moment that you try and use the lock cylinder to lock the door!! It goes all "I'm afraid I can't let you do that Dave." BTW: the annoying LED that is on the central lock switch in the Fiesta is on the bezel of the driver's side utterly useless lock cylinder on the VW. They're probably buying from the same vendor: "Haugenstein's house of needlessly complex electronics" or, in German, "Der hausuffuselessjunkensuch."

And if VW is using Audi hardware or vice versa it too has the maddeningly counterintuitive "pull on the door handle twice to exit the car" means of unlocking the doors.

Edited by RichardJensen

I have to say there is an awful lot of fuss over a simple task called locking/unlocking doors. We had an VW Passat and have a currend Audi S6 and have never had an issue with the locks and can't see how a Fiesta can be that much more complicated if at all. I think that after a few days with anything (no matter how odd it maybe) anyone can adapt.

Wait till the mad crazy moment that you try and use the lock cylinder to lock the door!! It goes all "I'm afraid I can't let you do that Dave." BTW: the annoying LED that is on the central lock switch in the Fiesta is on the bezel of the driver's side utterly useless lock cylinder on the VW. They're probably buying from the same vendor: "Haugenstein's house of needlessly complex electronics" or, in German, "Der hausuffuselessjunkensuch."

And if VW is using Audi hardware or vice versa it too has the maddeningly counterintuitive "pull on the door handle twice to exit the car" means of unlocking the doors.

Right, the poor manual override system is definitely an issue with both designs a few years down the road. I used to be able to say that used car shoppers might need to worry about power windows failing and absolutely needing repair but power locks being an extra bonus for as long as they work...not the case on these cars.

On a somewhat related note, I was just reading this series of over-electronicked issues with the BMW 5-Series: http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2010/07/just-in-bmw-5-series-sos-system-that-calls-the-cops-cries-wolf.html

Getting out of a vehicle should be a universal task anyone can understand in any country. What if the vehicle ends up on a lake or canal, can those in the backseat figure out how to get out, how many seconds are lost from the panic they will face when they try to look for a lock and can't find it, or having to figure out how to double pull a handle...that would be my main concern.

Getting out of a vehicle should be a universal task anyone can understand in any country. What if the vehicle ends up on a lake or canal, can those in the backseat figure out how to get out, how many seconds are lost from the panic they will face when they try to look for a lock and can't find it, or having to figure out how to double pull a handle...that would be my main concern.

322893183_94c1cbb2a1.jpg

Remember, a national study was just done on testing drivers on basic driving rules and regs, and many flunked. Many don't know what a yellow light is much less what ABS is all about.

Are you talking about the GMAC Insurance National Driver's Test Survey? The question there that 85% got wrong was:

18. When you approach a traffic signal displaying a steady yellow light, you must:

A. Go through the intersection before it turns red

B. Stop if it is safe to do so

C. Be prepared to stop

D. Slow down and proceed with caution

Most people select C, when the correct answer is B. C may not be technically correct, but it's close enough that I'd hardly call it a roaring condemnation of people's driving knowledge and ability.

On side note, thousands of high schoolers and college students were asked what country dominated the original 13 Colonies and eventually declared independence from. The majority didn't know.

Again, what survey are you talking about? A poll this year found 60% of 18-29 year-olds gave correct response. Still pathetic, but not a majority of incorrect answers. (Interestingly, 30-44-year olds were the most likely to give an incorrect answer. Which is worse, having to look something up, or thinking you know the right answer when you don't?)

You always pull these broad generalizations out of your ass. I'm beginning to think that's all you've got.

Edited by Noah Harbinger

18. When you approach a traffic signal displaying a steady yellow light, you must:

A. Go through the intersection before it turns red

B. Stop if it is safe to do so

C. Be prepared to stop

D. Slow down and proceed with caution

Most people select C, when the correct answer is B. C may not be technically correct, but it's close enough that I'd hardly call it a roaring condemnation of people's driving knowledge and ability.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now how do you know "most" people selected C. Is that a broad generalization out of your ass? I bet many selected D or A as I see a lot of that....try to beat the yellow before it turns red. C makes no sense since many times you are too close to intersection to stop, so why prepare to stop. The strategy used is called the point of no return that every new driver must master to be safe out on public road. Dealing with a light at a busy intersection is the most basic and fundamental strategy of safe, defensive driving. Another way of saying the correct answer is steady Yellow light means "Stop if you can, and keep going if you can't." And don't forget to check your mirrors if you have to do threshold braking.

Again, what survey are you talking about? A poll this year found 60% of 18-29 year-olds gave correct response. Still pathetic, but not a majority of incorrect answers. (Interestingly, 30-44-year olds were the most likely to give an incorrect answer. Which is worse, having to look something up, or thinking you know the right answer when you don't?)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

I know grade negotiation has become popular in high school and college along with marking on a curve, but where I come from 60% is flunking or failure. In fact, as far as I'm conerened, anything below 70% is failure. Maybe this is why colleges and universities have to spend increasing amounts of their time and resources on remedial courses for incoming freshmen who know so little. It's also a known fact that university life has become female dominated as males in this country are not going to college as previous generations did. No wonder males make up the majority of laid off workers in this country. Guess it's not cool anymore to do well in academic settings. The data seems to show it.

In the same way that 'knowledge' is not the same as 'intelligence', 'intelligence' is not measured by one's IQ.

A person with no common sense is, in many respects, not a very intelligent person.

Lots of different ways to measure intelligence as I would think most of us know. For example, one of my best friends in college had books published, ended up being record producer for Arista Records in NYC, but could not pass a MI driver's road test because he was too nervous and hyper to do so. And common sense seems to be one of the hardest things to teach. It seems to be something we are hardwired to either know or not know. What else would explain drivers gassing up with engine running, smoking cigarette, answering cell phone, or coming back to dispenser full of static electricity after getting back in car after starting fuel procedure. It's a wonder there are not more gas station fires than there already are.

I know grade negotiation has become popular in high school and college along with marking on a curve, but where I come from 60% is flunking or failure. In fact, as far as I'm conerened, anything below 70% is failure. Maybe this is why colleges and universities have to spend increasing amounts of their time and resources on remedial courses for incoming freshmen who know so little. It's also a known fact that university life has become female dominated as males in this country are not going to college as previous generations did. No wonder males make up the majority of laid off workers in this country. Guess it's not cool anymore to do well in academic settings. The data seems to show it.

As far as I can tell, exactly one sentence in that post is on topic. Perhaps you could use a remedial writing class? Structure is a very important part of quality writing.

I never liked curving grades, but not for your reason. When you're at a top-caliber university, just about everyone is going to be extremely intelligent, study hard, and do well on tests and assignments. Why would you create a system where you are forced to fail some percentage of students, including many who know the material thoroughly? It's especially a problem in pre-med classes, where probably half the class thinks they'll lose their top medical school choice if they don't get straight As (the way most instructors at my school curved, generally only about 5-10% would get As). It also creates a system where collaboration is punished and sabotage is rewarded - if you can steal the notes from the smartest person in the class, well, you just opened up one more slot for yourself.

The notion that "<70%=failure" is rooted in the belief that the instructor can write a test that accurately reflects the material students should have learned. Many instructors curve because it is difficult to write a test every semester (you can't re-use tests because of frat files). When your test changes every year, you never know for sure how well students will do. Is the wording confusing on this question? Am I using some obscure aspect of the course on this other question?

I think the problem with remedial education in universities is largely caused by forcing too many people into higher education. In the past, many would have taken a vocational path. Is that high schools failing to teach, or colleges overextending their marketing?

Speaking of which, I think the reason colleges are majority female is simply that men have more career paths with decent incomes that do not require college, i.e. military careers, construction, auto repair, and so on. Academic prowess is as "uncool" for women as for men.

Test drive tomorrow morning, unless the cars have already sold -- which is not out of the question.

DC Car Examiner, did you get a chance to drive a 5MT Fiesta over the weekend?

Also, I'm hoping the weather was/will be sunny (or partly sunny) for your second Fiesta test. Your automobile review photos are more pleasing when it isn't dark and overcast outside as in the review associated with this thread.

Edited by aneekr

Have you driven both to say whether the ride is any less smooth than on the S, or are you doing the same thing you accuse me of doing?

All I did was raise the possibility: be on the lookout for x, just in case. I do that all the time, across brands, and for better or for worse. "This version of Car Y has a stiff ride; the base may be smoother." "This Fiesta had interior assembly problems; later-production models may be better." Etc.

What I meant on the keypads is that, yes, very few manufacturers have them, so it doesn't make sense to continually criticize nearly everyone for not following suit. It would be the equivalent of criticizing every car that doesn't have OnStar or a 10-year warranty some other feature that's nearly exclusive to a particular automaker.

If I review a VW with a lousy door lock system, I'll be sure to point it out. But if nothing else, locks have been just fine on the VWs I've driven.

no S's yet, but unlike a JOURNALIST i'm not making the statement one COULD have potential issues, just nullifying your specualtion through hands on, car is FINE, could the S be better?...YES...but back at you with your train of thought media style...."and the S with its smaller diameter larger sidewall tires have the capaicity for a vastly superior ride, void of the bump thump possible with the upgraded wheel and tire combination "....wishy washy clap trap 101 and puts words in peoples mouths........anyways but the 16 inchers are FINE....DONT raise possibilitys, project or speculate...thats stockmarket mentality, report the facts otherwise valid opinions become null and void...

The VW lock system isn't ideal, but at least you have a control on each door. I'd initially forgotten altogether that it was any different from another car's because it's unobtrusive. On the Fiesta, the salesman was having trouble getting into the back seat to place a dealer tag.

But yes, if that's the point you were trying to make by raising sales projections, VW is also overcomplicating something that should be very simple: a button that shows whether a door is locked that you can push back and forth or up and down.

see, now I want to drive an S...lol.....side by side would be a good "ride" comparison....as in reality unless they ARE driven side by side, ones ability to fathom differences a few days apart I wouldnt hold much creedence to in the first place....be like listening to a solid state amp one day, and the same amp with a different power cord 4 days later....

Odd. All of my comments directed at P have been deleted, leaving only his twisted view on reality in the comments section...

What gives DC?

dammit, his diatribes are usually more interesting than some of the articles.....would have loved to see tha back and forth Cheif.....

dammit, his diatribes are usually more interesting than some of the articles.....would have loved to see tha back and forth Cheif.....

Well, hack authors usually delete what suits them, no? Sorry if i don't give much credibility to some kid who visits his local dealer to test drive whatever they may have on the lot at the time.

Still wonder why they let him keep posting his dull, and completely irrelivant drivel on this site, let alone on theirs. I know quite a few people who majored in creative writing that put this guy to shame.

Kinda knows cars, kinda can write, and can kinda get access to a car to review.

Lots of kindas to be gettin' a paycheck. Clock's tickin', bub...

Edited by chiefstang

All in all, this was a terrible review.

Between unsubstantiated accusations and faulting the Fiesta for being a Bcar there is no other information of value in it.

Hey DC, perhaps you should get a better understanding of what Bcars are. They will never have the same interior as a D car. They wont be packing 300 hp and they wont be hauling horse trailers.

If this is the best you can do, go work for those opinion rags called Road & Track or Car & Driver. They put out the same opinionated crap as you.

If this is the best you can do, go work for those opinion rags called Road & Track or Car & Driver. They put out the same opinionated crap as you.

Agreed, but at least they pull it off in an interesting and colorful manner.

I hear Ben Stein's voice when reading this drivel.

... But Ben had a brain on his side.