My review: Fiesta S sedan (updated with hatchback review)

Oh good grief - that's what the button on the keyfob is for! You get out of the car and if you want to lock it you hit the button. This applies to both the IA and non-IA equipped vehicles. I've done that with all vehicles for at least the last decade. You don't use the interior lock button.

Are you telling me your key did not have a lock button on it?

Keyless entry is optional on the Fiesta. This car didn't have it. If it did, it would be less inconvenient, but still a poor setup not offset by any advantage. There's a reason nearly every other car on the market has lock buttons on the doors, and it's not because the Fiesta is a revolutionary breakthrough in locking technology.

Edited by DC Car Examiner

Keyless entry is optional on the Fiesta. This car didn't have it. If it did, it would be less inconvenient, but still a poor setup not offset by any advantage. There's a reason nearly every other car on the market has lock buttons on the doors, and it's not because the Fiesta is a revolutionary breakthrough in locking technology.

DC, you seem to have forgotten you are testing the entry level S model......think the Versa for $9995 has ANY features...dont forget the 720 D @ D, no ABS,no A/c or even a radio or clock....so pony up the $495 for the keyless entry, Am FM CD MP3 plyer and auto locking doorsor an extra $1000 an dget a plethora of options in what will be the big seller the SE....in the meantime complain about lack of features in a BASE model....ahem.

Edited by Deanh

the power lock buttons were switches in the Mini as well, just takes getting used to....

That's surprising, but at the same time it's not. Maryland didn't seem to have the best relationship with Wal-Mart, from what I saw.

There are plenty of Wal-Marts elsewhere in the state, and Annapolis does have a Sam's Club, but city council has been pretty strict in letting any of the "big box" stores get building permits. The Target that is here is barely even recognizable as a Target, as it is buried on the 3rd floor in a building in the heart of the new Town Center.

Edited by NickF1011

There was a light that flashed every time the button was pressed, but neither the salesman nor I could identify a correlation between the blinking and whether the doors were locked.

My bigger issue with knowing whether they're locked isn't when you're getting out of the car, but when you want to lock it as you leave. As far as we could tell, to know whether you've locked up the car, you need to get out, close your door, and tug on the handle, then go all the way back in to reach the center stack lock button if it's not.

Maybe it's just another way to persuade you to buy the keyless entry, but there's no benefit to the system to offset even the slightest inconvenience. Cars that even have the power lock or window controls in the center instead of on the doors are routinely and justifiably criticized even when the physical lock buttons are in place.

I disagree that such criticism is justified. Like other cars with central locking but no RKE, either the interior button or the key cylinder can be used to lock/unlock doors on the Fiesta 'S' model you tested. To follow up on akirby's post about the info in the 2011 Fiesta (U.S.) OM:

p.131

When the light on the button is on it indicates that all doors and the trunk are locked. When the light is off it indicates one or more doors are unlocked.

p.132

To centrally lock/unlock all doors (from the driver’s side only) using the key from the outside when they are closed:

• Turn the key counterclockwise to lock all doors. The turn signal lamps will flash twice.

• Turn the key clockwise once to unlock the driver’s door or twice to unlock all doors. The turn signal lamps will flash once.

If the central locking function fails to operate, the doors can be individually locked using the key in the position shown. On the driver’s side, turn the key

clockwise to lock, and on the passenger’s side turn the key counterclockwise to lock.

my damn car is sitting outside my office, and they want it on the showroom for the weekend....sorry, NOT gonna happen, so post weekend i'll have some hands on driving thoughts....shes a 5 speed SES loaded bar a sunroof.....Only complaint so far is the friggen manual and the fact its 101 pages on the entertainment / sync system alone. Also the Intelligent acess keys can be locked in the car whilst its running.....they already had to slim jim the car in the wash rack...

I don't know it for sure. Hence "may." It's very common for the biggest-wheeled model in a line to have the stiffest ride. I'll know when I'm able to drive the other models.

However, I'd be surprised if any reviews you've already seen were able to say something contradicting that about how the base model compares to the high-end ones -- I've certainly never seen a review of anything but an SES/SEL.

That's EXACTLY my point! You claim the SES/SELs may have a problem with the larger tire/wheels slaming. WTF?

No such thing has been reported in any of the reviews of the SES/SEL. So you are slamming a car you haven't tested, but others have with no ill effects. It's your "problem" that you have created! Your logic escaped me.

Your base model (only review I've read of a base model) didn't slam, the SES/SEL (from other reviews) didn't slam: therefore..........they don't slam!

Edited by timmm55

There are plenty of Wal-Marts elsewhere in the state, and Annapolis does have a Sam's Club, but city council has been pretty strict in letting any of the "big box" stores get building permits. The Target that is here is barely even recognizable as a Target, as it is buried on the 3rd floor in a building in the heart of the new Town Center.

Walmarts, yeah. Walmart Supercenters, not hardly, at least around Baltimore.

And I saw that Target in the Town Center. Threw me for a loop.

Speaking of Annapolis, though, does Koons Ford of Annapolis have any Fiestas?

my damn car is sitting outside my office, and they want it on the showroom for the weekend....sorry, NOT gonna happen, so post weekend i'll have some hands on driving thoughts....shes a 5 speed SES loaded bar a sunroof.....Only complaint so far is the friggen manual and the fact its 101 pages on the entertainment / sync system alone. Also the Intelligent acess keys can be locked in the car whilst its running.....they already had to slim jim the car in the wash rack...

How did they slim jim the car when the button is all the way on the dash? Also, no manual locks on the doors to pull up on.

How did they slim jim the car when the button is all the way on the dash? Also, no manual locks on the doors to pull up on.

:headscratch:

Slim jims aren't used to hit buttons or pull on locks (that's what coat hangers are for). You use them to manually move the lock linkage inside the door panel.

actually it waasnt really a slim Jim...a rubber wedge...inflatable bag and a big steel hook to pull on the door lever....30 seconds max....

oh, and as for the quips aboout lack of Power,,,I just drove an Auto with 3 people in it...pretty damn peppy if you ask me, and AMPLE if one doesnt lose sight of the fact its a 1.6 naturally aspirated engine pulling it along, and if one puts the lever in L its pretty cool as the trans downshifts when coming to a stop....I sincerely question what some scribes expect performance wise in an entry level vehicle for sure....

...and if one puts the lever in L its pretty cool as the trans downshifts when coming to a stop

Deanh, does the Fiesta's automated dual clutch transmission match revs on downshifts? One thing I really like about Volkswagen's DSG tranny is that executes amazingly quick rev match downshifts. Hopefully Ford's does the same. :shift:

Deanh, does the Fiesta's automated dual clutch transmission match revs on downshifts? One thing I really like about Volkswagen's DSG tranny is that executes amazingly quick rev match downshifts. Hopefully Ford's does the same. :shift:

I beleive so, they were discernable but by no means jerky.....I'm impressed with the engine as well...and EVERYONE that has driven the car gets out with a smile....and THAT is something that cannot be bought or written about....

oh, and as for the quips aboout lack of Power,,,I just drove an Auto with 3 people in it...pretty damn peppy if you ask me, and AMPLE if one doesnt lose sight of the fact its a 1.6 naturally aspirated engine pulling it along, and if one puts the lever in L its pretty cool as the trans downshifts when coming to a stop....I sincerely question what some scribes expect performance wise in an entry level vehicle for sure....

With its light weight and 120hp, the Fiesta should be very peppy with its uniqe auto trans or 5 speed manual. I would imagine 0-60 times in 9 sec. range which is very peppy for this class. It wasn't that long ago when V6 engines didn't have much more than 120hp. I know my 1985 Bronco ll with its Cologne 2.8L V6 only put out about 125hp and weighed a lot more than a Fiesta with almost as much hp.

With its light weight and 120hp, the Fiesta should be very peppy with its uniqe auto trans or 5 speed manual. I would imagine 0-60 times in 9 sec. range which is very peppy for this class. It wasn't that long ago when V6 engines didn't have much more than 120hp. I know my 1985 Bronco ll with its Cologne 2.8L V6 only put out about 125hp and weighed a lot more than a Fiesta with almost as much hp.

and its for that EXACT reason i think some journalists have lost sight of reality...i rightfully dont know WHAT they expect anymore...their memories are surely lax though....for instance, my dads ZX3 was a 2.0 liter engine with 130 hp, car probably weighs a good deal more too, so i'm guessing the Fiesta will out perform the Focus....

Edited by Deanh

and its for that EXACT reason i think some journalists have lost sight of reality...i rightfully dont know WHAT they expect anymore...their memories are surely lax though....for instance, my dads ZX3 was a 2.0 liter engine with 130 hp, car probably weighs a good deal more too, so i'm guessing the Fiesta will out perform the Focus....

I believe the Fiesta is the fastest and best handling of the B segment vehicles. And it's one hell of a performer in a shopping mall where a Corvette couldn't stay with it. Wait until Ford does an Ecoboost Fiesta and is pulling 180hp.

I believe the Fiesta is the fastest and best handling of the B segment vehicles. And it's one hell of a performer in a shopping mall where a Corvette couldn't stay with it. Wait until Ford does an Ecoboost Fiesta and is pulling 180hp.

I am curious in a side by side comparison with the current 140 hp Focus.....although the auto Focus IS burdened with a MERE 4 speed Auto....

Come to think of it, the present Focus only puts out about 133hp, has a clunky 4 speed auto, and weighs more. No contest there up against the lighter Fiesta. However, I believe the American Fiesta weighs about 200 more pounds than the Euro Fiesta, so would lose to that Fiesta. But maybe not since the American Fiesta got the dual clutch auto and the Euro didn't.

Come to think of it, the present Focus only puts out about 133hp, has a clunky 4 speed auto, and weighs more. No contest there up against the lighter Fiesta. However, I believe the American Fiesta weighs about 200 more pounds than the Euro Fiesta, so would lose to that Fiesta. But maybe not since the American Fiesta got the dual clutch auto and the Euro didn't.

there is currently a cold air intake and cat back exaust system being developed....so I see an additional 7-10 hp in the works as well....now what we need is lightened flywheels, larger mass air systems adn ECM flashes...I was told the engine has pretty good potential for tweeks...lets hope they follow Minis aftermarket approach....

Cant you read, l have already posted this in POST 7.

l will look forwards to seeing how sales pan out in the future with no doubt lots of disputes with Nick & JPD even though they are not really the same car.

Well, I guess I missed that part, although I can't be sure since you edited that post.

OM says there is a light on the lock switch if the doors are locked.

It also says if the rear doors are locked you can pull once on the door handle to unlock and again to open. Typically Ford allows the front doors to be opened with one pull whether they're locked or not.

I don't recall looking at my door locks to see if they're locked or not because they open either way in the front seats. I can't ever remember using the manual lock button except in the rear seats and that's been taken care of with the double pull.

This is strange but functionally I think it may actually be ok.

As I suspected, there's a light on the lock button apparently.

there is currently a cold air intake and cat back exaust system being developed....so I see an additional 7-10 hp in the works as well....now what we need is lightened flywheels, larger mass air systems adn ECM flashes...I was told the engine has pretty good potential for tweeks...lets hope they follow Minis aftermarket approach....

It might take a year, but the aftermarket for the Fiesta will be big.

BUT: For more hp, the transmission is the key: what can the Ford/Getrag unit cope with, stock? Can it be "beefed-up"? If not, will a 6-speed manual be available?

Would Ford Racing offer a RevoKnuckle conversion kit? AWD kits? Then you can contemplate a 300+ hp Fiesta. :)