August 6th, Texas Tacoma Day!!!

JLaudioF150

Texas Governor Rick Perry and Toyota are proud to declare August 6, 2010 Tacoma Day! Tacoma Day will be a celebration of the first ever Texas-built, Texas-tough Toyota Tacoma coming off the assembly line in San Antonio. Bringing the Tacoma to Texas has resulted in 1,000 additional jobs and $100 million invested in the San Antonio community and has had a positive impact on the economy statewide. Combined with the production of the Toyota Tundra, the Toyota Motor Manufacturing of Texas (TMMTX) plant will have the ability to produce up to 200,000 trucks each year. Toyota trucks are Texas built and Texas tough.

200K vehicles huh? G O O D L U C K

Texas Governor Rick Perry and Toyota are proud to declare August 6, 2010 Tacoma Day! Tacoma Day will be a celebration of the first ever Texas-built, Texas-tough Toyota Tacoma coming off the assembly line in San Antonio. Bringing the Tacoma to Texas has resulted in 1,000 additional jobs and $100 million invested in the San Antonio community and has had a positive impact on the economy statewide. Combined with the production of the Toyota Tundra, the Toyota Motor Manufacturing of Texas (TMMTX) plant will have the ability to produce up to 200,000 trucks each year. Toyota trucks are Texas built and Texas tough.

200K vehicles huh? G O O D L U C K

First Bush II, now this......hey, Governor, you gonna have sushi with your TexMex? Nothing beats the taste of Japanese ass kissin', huh?

• Like 1

Is governor Perry also driving a Toyota with a big American Flag sticker on it? Damn hypocrites...

Probably, though the sticker incorporates the Lone Star flag design, not Old Glory.

tundra_flag.jpg

Some of Gov. Perry's actions may be considered hypocritical, but his support for Toyota isn't among them. Texas, and the U.S. South in general, is among Toyota's best markets for the company's pickup trucks worldwide.

• Like 1

Won't be a problem for them. They're obviously not about to hit their original hopes for 200k Tundras, but 200k Tundras + Tacomas is easy.

Actually, the San Antonio plant was facilitized for 300k annually, but Toyota pulled in their horns and reprocessed to 200k before the plant opened. And of course the Tundra has never come close to this figure, even though it's built in the country's largest pickup market.

But I agree with your comment that they should be able to get to 200k with Tundras and Tacos combined.

Edited by Austin

First Bush II, now this......hey, Governor, you gonna have sushi with your TexMex? Nothing beats the taste of Japanese ass kissin', huh?

With jobs so hard to come by in this country for over two years now, I don't think states and their people care anymore where they come from as long as they are decent paying jobs. You have millons of people who haven't worked since 2008 and they will take anything. If Toyota or whoever can offer some jobs, all power to them. Toyota isn't the company they were a couple years ago anyway when they were perceived differently. Now they are just another auto company throwing money on the hood and hoping someone buys their product.

• Like 1

Probably, though the sticker incorporates the Lone Star flag design, not Old Glory.

tundra_flag.jpg

Some of Gov. Perry's actions may be considered hypocritical, but his support for Toyota isn't among them. Texas, and the U.S. South in general, is among Toyota's best markets for the company's pickup trucks worldwide.

Well, considering that Texas and the U.S. South are among ALL automakers best markets for pickup trucks - it only makes sense. 10% of the largest truck market in the world should by definition be Toyota's best pickup market.

They really poured the resources into trying to tap Texas. All the state parks workers drive Tundras and they are the "Official Truck" of state parks.

I came across the businessweek article from 2008 - thought it was pretty funny. 79% increase off a base of basically nothing -

Toyota Tundra Takes Texas, Destroys Detroit Bastion

Won't be a problem for them. They're obviously not about to hit their original hopes for 200k Tundras, but 200k Tundras + Tacomas is easy.

Sales through July - Tundra - 54,515, Tacoma - 60,471. Simple annualization = 197,118. Don't think it's going to be necessarily "easy" for them. Doable yes - but with one of the oldest full-size pickups (I think Titan is older ) and their general lack of competiveness - it will be tough. Of course enough cash on the hood will move anything.

Edited by 97 F350

The other day I was behind a little old man with a "Retired Navy" sticker. Another bumper sticker indicated he was on the USS Missouri on 2 September 1945. Of course, it was applied to the bumper of a Toyota Camry.

and... is this supposed to mean something?

With jobs so hard to come by in this country for over two years now, I don't think states and their people care anymore where they come from as long as they are decent paying jobs. You have millons of people who haven't worked since 2008 and they will take anything. If Toyota or whoever can offer some jobs, all power to them. Toyota isn't the company they were a couple years ago anyway when they were perceived differently. Now they are just another auto company throwing money on the hood and hoping someone buys their product.

Does that even matter? Even in a strong economy a local politician sees where his bread is buttered.

When Ford, GM or Dodge open a truck plant in texas, they can be the official truck. But Toyota did it and now they are reaping the rewards for choosing Texas for the plant. Smart move on their part, even if the truck is shite.

Does that even matter? Even in a strong economy a local politician sees where his bread is buttered.

When Ford, GM or Dodge open a truck plant in texas, they can be the official truck. But Toyota did it and now they are reaping the rewards for choosing Texas for the plant. Smart move on their part, even if the truck is shite.

Obviously, Texas is a huge market for pickups. They have a huge population and the state is doing relatively well compared to many other big states. No wonder Ford likes to introduce its newest trucks at the Texas State Fair. I believe Ford has a bigger pickup market share now than they did even when selling 900,000 of them/year. The new Super Duty is selling very well and new engines for the F-150 coming. Ford does stay on top of the pickup market when it comes to protecting its pickup market share. Toyota has barely made a dent in Ford's pickup leadership. I just wish Ford had a strong mid sized pickup to go against the Tacoma when the Ranger goes away next year. I want to see an F-100 that weighs at least 1,000 pounds less than present F-150 which is huge in every way. Then I believe Ford will completely solidify its pickup dominance.

The other day I was behind a little old man with a "Retired Navy" sticker. Another bumper sticker indicated he was on the USS Missouri on 2 September 1945. Of course, it was applied to the bumper of a Toyota Camry.

I saw an elderly man with a Pearl Harbor Survivor license plate on his Tacoma a few years ago. That was a real WTF moment.
  • Like 1

Both. TMMBC Tacoma production for the U.S. market is limited to Double Cab models with the 4.0L V6 engine.

Thanks for the info, I recall that NUMMI were building some Tacomas but didn't understand where Mexico fitted in.

Edited by jpd80

I saw an elderly man with a Pearl Harbor Survivor license plate on his Tacoma a few years ago. That was a real WTF moment.

:reading:Wonder how the American Indians feel about the whites here in the good old USA? :camera:

When you live in a glass house... we shouldn't throw stones.

Obviously, Texas is a huge market for pickups. They have a huge population and the state is doing relatively well compared to many other big states. No wonder Ford likes to introduce its newest trucks at the Texas State Fair. I believe Ford has a bigger pickup market share now than they did even when selling 900,000 of them/year. The new Super Duty is selling very well and new engines for the F-150 coming. Ford does stay on top of the pickup market when it comes to protecting its pickup market share. Toyota has barely made a dent in Ford's pickup leadership. I just wish Ford had a strong mid sized pickup to go against the Tacoma when the Ranger goes away next year. I want to see an F-100 that weighs at least 1,000 pounds less than present F-150 which is huge in every way. Then I believe Ford will completely solidify its pickup dominance.

It doesn't matter how well the F-Series does in Texas.

Toyota is the one with the plant there so the Governor must celebrate Toyota over Ford. That is just the way it works.

So local governments in Texas, purchase foreign trucks for their city duties? Ouch...Can't say I've seen that around my area. I would be writing hate mail...

I see what you are saying, but they have a plant making pickups right in their own state.

As much as this is a foreign vehicle, the Texas politicians still see it as several thousand direct and indirect jobs.

Sales through July - Tundra - 54,515, Tacoma - 60,471. Simple annualization = 197,118. Don't think it's going to be necessarily "easy" for them. Doable yes - but with one of the oldest full-size pickups (I think Titan is older ) and their general lack of competiveness - it will be tough. Of course enough cash on the hood will move anything.

Plant capacity would include many they're building here for other markets, too: nearly 10k pickups so far this year in Canada alone, and probably a few others elsewhere.

I see what you are saying, but they have a plant making pickups right in their own state.

As much as this is a foreign vehicle, the Texas politicians still see it as several thousand direct and indirect jobs.

True, like the typical politician, they sell their soul to the devil if they could.