2011 Ford Edge: My Test Drive Impressions

I have a fantastic sales woman at Huntington Ford who called me while I was at work to let me know that they JUST received the 2011 Ford Edge. She invited me for a test drive so I ran out there and took a black Limited for a spin.

Fantastic car, the interior humiliates my MKX! The dash materials, design, features, everything! I felt right at home!

Ride and Handling: Very similar to the MKX I have, I couldn't really tell the difference. Braking is noticeably quicker but overall handling is about the same, it's still not confident in the corners. I

Steering: This is where I noticed some differences, it's lighter and seems more isolated, like the Escape/Mariner but much better weighted. Did they move to electric?

Drivetrain: Again very similar overall but much stronger acceleration off the line, amazing what 20 horsepower did!

Interior: It's the reason to buy the car. The seats are just as comfortable as those in my MKX. The steering wheel is a huge improvement, much better quality materials but feels oddly smaller for some reason (could be my imagination). Materials look great all around, especially the dashboard and center console. The door panels have some hard plastics, but the rest of the interior is higher quality than my MKX. I love the Volvo cubby under the center console, just wish they didn't cut so much out of the huge armrest bin from the previous model.

Switchgear: Lots of new and strange stuff for Ford, nothing I'm use to ;). The turn signal was the strangest for me, I've never really encountered one like it but I assume it's common in other makes. It's no longer mechanical, instead you just tap the stalk down or up for a 3-signal lane change, and if you tap up farther until you feel a notch, the signal continues until you turn, but the stalk always snaps back to center. Curious, I had heard about the 3-sgnal feature in GM cars, but never encountered a non-mechanical stalk. This feature confused me at first but it didn't take me long to figure out what was happening. The new light controllers are interesting as well, as little as they are used ;). Other noticeable changes include the relocation of the lift gate button, but otherwise locks and window switches are the same.

Design: Brilliant fascia design!. The rear lacks the same distinctiveness unfortunately, but it's handsome with some ginormous chrome tips to set it off! The profile is familiar but tidy, the Lincoln fan in me really wants to see chrome door handles and skull caps however.

My Ford Touch: My vehicle was in "Transport Mode" so I couldn't really play with it, but stepping into this vehicle is a dream if you're a tech geek. Everything is very intuitive once rewire yourself to reach for the steering wheel instead of the dashboard, but it takes a moment to learn the new steering wheel controls. The touch controls work amazingly well, and I think the only reason I used them was because the display was in "Transport Mode".

NVH: A bit firmer and noisier over rough surfaces than my MKX, but it's hard to really judge when I normally don't pay so much attention to it while I'm driving. I will say that there is a slight hint of low frequency engine vibration in the cabin at idle, I never experienced that in the MKX.

Overall, extremely impressed with the vehicle hardware and the technology bolted into it.

My quick and dirty iPhone 4 photos and a video.

http://gallery.me.com/mikekukielka#100045

How do you get the video to play?

Thanks for posting these. I've had experience with the electronic turn signal stuff when driving my mom's BMW in the past - it's definitely odd at first, but you get used to it. I like the triple turn signal flick feature too.

Thanks for the Info - I have a Z-4 BMW with the "three" signals for a light touch - its great - specially when changing lanes - am glad to hear Ford has put it on the edge- probably on the MKX as well-

My MKX is supposed to be assembled around August 30th- can't wait !

Thanks for your review of the edge !

Phil

Switchgear: Lots of new and strange stuff for Ford, nothing I'm use to ;). The turn signal was the strangest for me, I've never really encountered one like it but I assume it's common in other makes. It's no longer mechanical, instead you just tap the stalk down or up for a 3-signal lane change, and if you tap up farther until you feel a notch, the signal continues until you turn, but the stalk always snaps back to center. Curious, I had heard about the 3-sgnal feature in GM cars, but never encountered a non-mechanical stalk. This feature confused me at first but it didn't take me long to figure out what was happening.

:confused:

The same thing happened to me test driving a 2011 Superduty. Took me a minute to figure it out!!

Interesting to note, that my 2011 Mustang GT does not have this feature :drop:

so I am assuming this made you want a new MKX even more lol

Yep, and I finally got to look at a 2011 MKX and it is stunning car. I'm going to post photos shortly, didn't take photos of the interior while I had the chance, but I got some nice comparison shots with the 2010 MKX.

The MKX is the hot girl to me right now, a bit out of my league. I'd be happy to settle for last year's model actually, still a great design.

Yep, and I finally got to look at a 2011 MKX and it is stunning car. I'm going to post photos shortly, didn't take photos of the interior while I had the chance, but I got some nice comparison shots with the 2010 MKX.

The MKX is the hot girl to me right now, a bit out of my league. I'd be happy to settle for last year's model actually, still a great design.

:reading:I think the <2011MY would grow old fast..

I saw my first 2011 Edge today, but the dealer wasn't test-driving it yet. Some photos though:

The one design cue I've never liked on the Edge has continued: the huge expanse of rear end with not taillights. I wish they'd added something horizontal.

DC, did you get a to sit in side of it? What's your impression of the interior, say compare to the new GC.

I saw my first 2011 Edge today, but the dealer wasn't test-driving it yet. .....

The one design cue I've never liked on the Edge has continued: the huge expanse of rear end with not taillights. I wish they'd added something horizontal.

I kind of like the horizontal lines... rather "clean" and makes me think "handles corners well." Plus getting stuff into the back is aided by the wide door IMO.

+1 [like] on the lane change fxn of the signal stalk... my 07 Rabbit had it and I learned to like it!

Edited by joihan777

I have a fantastic sales woman at Huntington Ford who called me while I was at work to let me know that they JUST received the 2011 Ford Edge. She invited me for a test drive so I ran out there and took a black Limited for a spin.

Fantastic car, the interior humiliates my MKX! The dash materials, design, features, everything! I felt right at home!

Ride and Handling: Very similar to the MKX I have, I couldn't really tell the difference. Braking is noticeably quicker but overall handling is about the same, it's still not confident in the corners. I

Steering: This is where I noticed some differences, it's lighter and seems more isolated, like the Escape/Mariner but much better weighted. Did they move to electric?

Drivetrain: Again very similar overall but much stronger acceleration off the line, amazing what 20 horsepower did!

Interior: It's the reason to buy the car. The seats are just as comfortable as those in my MKX. The steering wheel is a huge improvement, much better quality materials but feels oddly smaller for some reason (could be my imagination). Materials look great all around, especially the dashboard and center console. The door panels have some hard plastics, but the rest of the interior is higher quality than my MKX. I love the Volvo cubby under the center console, just wish they didn't cut so much out of the huge armrest bin from the previous model.

Switchgear: Lots of new and strange stuff for Ford, nothing I'm use to ;). The turn signal was the strangest for me, I've never really encountered one like it but I assume it's common in other makes. It's no longer mechanical, instead you just tap the stalk down or up for a 3-signal lane change, and if you tap up farther until you feel a notch, the signal continues until you turn, but the stalk always snaps back to center. Curious, I had heard about the 3-sgnal feature in GM cars, but never encountered a non-mechanical stalk. This feature confused me at first but it didn't take me long to figure out what was happening. The new light controllers are interesting as well, as little as they are used ;). Other noticeable changes include the relocation of the lift gate button, but otherwise locks and window switches are the same.

Design: Brilliant fascia design!. The rear lacks the same distinctiveness unfortunately, but it's handsome with some ginormous chrome tips to set it off! The profile is familiar but tidy, the Lincoln fan in me really wants to see chrome door handles and skull caps however.

My Ford Touch: My vehicle was in "Transport Mode" so I couldn't really play with it, but stepping into this vehicle is a dream if you're a tech geek. Everything is very intuitive once rewire yourself to reach for the steering wheel instead of the dashboard, but it takes a moment to learn the new steering wheel controls. The touch controls work amazingly well, and I think the only reason I used them was because the display was in "Transport Mode".

NVH: A bit firmer and noisier over rough surfaces than my MKX, but it's hard to really judge when I normally don't pay so much attention to it while I'm driving. I will say that there is a slight hint of low frequency engine vibration in the cabin at idle, I never experienced that in the MKX.

Overall, extremely impressed with the vehicle hardware and the technology bolted into it.

My quick and dirty iPhone 4 photos and a video.

http://gallery.me.com/mikekukielka#100045

Thanks for the review. The only black mark against the 2011 Edge for me is that there is no heated/cooled seats option.

Edited by DUCKRACER

Seems to be a feature (the cooling, that is) that Ford is going to be limiting to the MKX for now.

Cooled seats has always been a Lincoln only feature with one or two exceptions like certain model year Expeditions (and maybe the new Taurus???).

That was the main reason my wife wanted a new MKX 2 years ago, but I convinced her it wasn't worth $5K. Plus I actually liked the Edge styling better inside and out.

Cooled seats has always been a Lincoln only feature with one or two exceptions like certain model year Expeditions (and maybe the new Taurus???).

That was the main reason my wife wanted a new MKX 2 years ago, but I convinced her it wasn't worth $5K. Plus I actually liked the Edge styling better inside and out.

Yeah, I'm about in the same boat. Heated seats are a must for me, but cooling isn't entirely necessary. I prefer the Edge looks over MKX also.

Side question: Does anyone know if the screen size on the new Edge is the same with or without the nav system? I know on a couple of the other models the LCD size is smaller without the nav, but it doesn't appear to be the case on the Edge. I ask since I like the larger screen, but don't necessarily need to spend $800 for navigation that my phone can already do.

The first experience I had with cooled seats were in a new '11 Super Duty I test drove. I was amazed at how well they worked in our 90+ degree humid heat. I intend to have them on my next truck, but I agree they are not worth $5k though.

There were a few other differences for the $5K including a longer warranty but cooled seats was the only major one.

Although I do like the styling on the new MKX a lot better, inside and out. If we had to do it now I might lean towards the MKX. I don't mind spending extra if the looks and features are there.

I definitely prefer the look of the MKX over the Edge, but the Edge is very attractive. I think what excited me the most about the 2007 MKX was the interior and rear-end design, not neccessarily the front-end. The 2007 MKX was the best looking until 2011, thanks largely to all the silver colored switchgear. Once they moved to black, the interior looked very ordinary. Now the MKX is back to a really standout design with 2011.

As for cooled seats, that is one feature I've had for 3 cars and I was never that pleased with their performance. It worked better on my Lincoln LS than the MKX so results seem to vary. I will say my MKX has the best HVAC system EVER! :).

Edited by BORG