HORRIBLE Prius crash

soupy

This crash happened relatively close to where I live and I happened to be on US 23 the day of the crash. There is only a median at site of crash and no physical barrier. Ironically they are planning on putting up catch fences next year. The Prius was full of teenagers and rumor is running around that driver was test messaging. Certainly a vehicle full of teenagers on high speed road such as US 23 is very dangerous indeed. A day doesn't go by without very serious crash on US 23 running north-south east of Ann Arbor and I 94 running east-west south of Ann Arbor. The carnage on both roads is mind boggling. Speed and distractions seem to be the main factors. You really need to be paying attention when driving at speed on both those freeways outside of Ann Arbor. Average speeds seem to be over 80mph. No room for error.

This just happened Sunday. Obviously early in investigation. Not saying if this is operator error or mechanical malfunction. Certainly one to keep an eye on!

http://detnews.com/article/20101011/METRO04/10110359

Safe belt is very important. Why people still ignor safe belt. If the two senior people should have had the safe belt on, I don't think that they can die.

Very sad

It was an older model Prius, not the current one, as well as the older model Chevy Blazer. Both cars had below average test scores from their days on the market. http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=54, http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle%20Shoppers/5-Star+Safety+Ratings/1990-2010%20Vehicles/2010%20Detail?ID=6800. This section of freeway is very heavily traveled is only 2 lanes, speeds of 80-90 are common in heavy traffic, doesn't have full left or even right shoulders in places, it has no center divider, has a extremely narrow median, merge lanes are very short and most geometrics of the road fall considerably short of today's road building standard (US 23 / I 96 is an god awful interchange as it has left exits hard turns and you enter the other freeway in the left lane going maybe 20MPH.)

Just sad that with one person not paying attention and this can happen. With my truck and a seat belt on I'd like to think I would survive in this type of accident, but there is no way of telling.

This section of freeway is very heavily traveled is only 2 lanes, speeds of 80-90 are common in heavy traffic, doesn't have full left or even right shoulders in places, it has no center divider, has a extremely narrow median, merge lanes are very short and most geometrics of the road fall considerably short of today's road building standard (US 23 / I 96 is an god awful interchange as it has left exits hard turns and you enter the other freeway in the left lane going maybe 20MPH.)

80mph is a considerably higher speed than current crash tests are done at. Even if the drivers in question braked, if they were going 80mph, there would still be a good chance of going considerably faster than the 35mph (NHTSA) or 40mph (IIHS) crash tests.

Tragic. I wonder if the couple in the Blazer would have survived had they been wearing their seatbelts.

I simply do not understand why people STILL don't buckle up.

Beause it's MY life and it's the not gubmint's job to tell me what TO DO! Besides, what if I drove into a lake, with my windows open (thus taking away all oxygen right away) and I can't get out? It happens ALL THE TIME!

• Like 2

When its your time, its going to happen one way or another. I had a neighbor that was cutting down a tree in his front yard. The tree looked like it was going to fall on him so he ran out of the way...into uncoming traffic on the street. Dead...If the tree didnt do it, the car did. It was his time, worse is the family was outside watching this.

Beause it's MY life and it's the not gubmint's job to tell me what TO DO! Besides, what if I drove into a lake, with my windows open (thus taking away all oxygen right away) and I can't get out? It happens ALL THE TIME!

Because you are soooo much more likely to drive into a lake, with the windows down, and not be able to reach down and unbuckly your belt than you are to be in an accident NOT involving water. :rolleyes:

You are right though, it is YOUR life. I will gladly wear my seat belt thank you!

Because you are soooo much more likely to drive into a lake, with the windows down, and not be able to reach down and unbuckly your belt than you are to be in an accident NOT involving water. :rolleyes:

You are right though, it is YOUR life. I will gladly wear my seat belt thank you!

You can't fix stupid.

Unless you're doing the same thing to me that I did (and I totally missed it, too)...I'd politely point out I was using sarcasm. I knew I should have used an emoticon.