First Glimpse Of New Aussie Ford Territory

From you, that's a high compliment, I know that you deride almost every other Ford

you have ever seen so I take great comfort in Territory being in good company.

I've listed the Fords I like before, you just choose to remember the ones I don't like. I'm extremely critical, especially of MCEs which I seldom find successful because they tend to to clash badly with the carried over design elements...and this is a spectacular example of that.

I've listed the Fords I like before, you just choose to remember the ones I don't like. I'm extremely critical, especially of MCEs which I seldom find successful because they tend to to clash badly with the carried over design elements...and this is a spectacular example of that.

I'll agree it's done on a tight budget but believe it will be a success and here's why:

While this MCE may not be good enough for USA, it's enough to put Territory back at the head of our market.

The biggest gripe in this market was not the exterior, it was in fact the lack of diesel option which even Ford

estimates will be around 50% of sales. This MCE is good news because we get external and internal face

lift as well as touchscreen updates adds to the total package -those elements will put territory back at

the top of Mid sized SUVs in Australia, all it needs to do is double sales to 2,000/mth (which is highly likely)

and it will street the competition. ZF 6-speed transmissions are now standard across the board, that is a huge

selling point along with the class leading V6 diesel.

Edited by jpd80

While this MCE may not be good enough for USA

How is this MCE any less of an MCE than the MkX that BORG just bought [leased]??

Did it receive a new interior?

Did it receive new powertrains?

Did it get a new front clip?

Was the rear revised?

Did the greenhouse and doors remain largely unchanged?

Does it look hot in black?

How is this MCE any less of an MCE than the MkX that BORG just bought [leased]??

Was the rear revised?

The Edge and MKX were always great designs IMO, way ahead of their class and I think they still are. The MCEs are largely successful, although the MKX front clip does clash with the existing body more than that on the Edge. The Edge is also a more modern vehicle than the Territory, which is a few MYs older than the Edge/MKX. It would be like Ford still carrying the Freestyle on with with a facelift, it would always look bad.

Was the rear revised?

The thoroughness of the MCE is not what's at issue, the fact that the base vehicle still looks like a Wagon with a lift kit is. MKX's update took it from good to pretty damn good for the US market, Territory's update appears to have done the same for it in the Oz market. That doesn't make either yet suited for the other market.

I know it's all said and done at this point, but I have to wonder if Ford NA and FoA had worked together on updating this thing more thoroughly if this could have been the new explorer. This is on the T6 platform, right? Then they could have saved the ranger as well. With some work on modernizing it I would thing that it would be just as comfortable as the new explorer, but still have the capabilities of the old one. With the platform sharing and sharing the costs, maybe they could even bring a bronco back as a two door version of it. All in the past now, I guess. Does anyone think it is possible that this will come over as a bronco in two and four door versions, and ranger too or would it be too much overlapping the same segment?

Edited by Captainp4

The original Territory was developed for US$280 million in 2004, this MCE is about the same.

The amounts FoA works with are pidling compared to what was spent on the new Explorer,

the chief aims of this MCE was to supply diesel variant and to refresh exterior and interior.

Those three elements will enable Territory to sell in the same numbers originally seen in 2005.

Unlike D3 variants, Falcon and Territory have different floor pans to suit their intended use.

Edited by jpd80

...It would be like Ford still carrying the Freestyle on with with a facelift, it would always look bad.

oh wait . . .

FRD2010121055912_PV.jpg

:stirpot:

Oh, even better - a good way to get the falcon over here and make it a thunderbird, mustang, mkr, lincoln suv, etc etc :D

:yup:

The new Explorer is hardly a facelifted Freestyle or Taurus X.

Not a criticism of the new Explorer but the shell has a very familiar shape to it and this is what we're

basically getting at, when buyers look at a refreshed or totally new vehicle, sure they recognizes

what's similar but their eye runs to what's different. That's the whole aim of most MCEs is to

make buyers believe that the vehicle has changed enough to be considered a new vehicle.

manufacturers do that by choosing styling changes that catch the eye, new power trains that

are desirable (Territory needs V6 Diesel to compete) and upgraded interiors, dash and IP.

^^^^^^ and this is where the harsh critism of Territory's MCE falls down because it centres on the

critics own opinion instead of taking the outside perspective of what actual buyers are looking for.

Edited by jpd80