Nissan NV Cargo Van ($25,570)

Reigner92

So it's got a front end that looks like a cross between a Super Duty and a Sierra, coupled with an interior that looks like it was pulled directly from a new GMT900 "work" truck, not to mention the rear that looks almost identical to the Transit Connect.

None of which matters in the least to commercial buyers. Have you seen the shnozz on the current E-series? :barf:

None of which matters in the least to commercial buyers. Have you seen the shnozz on the current E-series? :barf:

I kind of like the new E-Series front end, especially on the 4x4 conversions:

ford-van-bumper-14_lg.jpgford-van-bumper-17_lg.jpg

roof-rack-21_lg.jpgnerf_bars-9_lg.jpg

But this Nissan van thing is fugly. I know commercial vehicles in general are designed with form follows function in mind and they aren't going to win any car shows, but this thing seems to go out of its way to be ugly. I just see this thing selling about as well as the Titan. I think Nissan shouldn't of wasted their money.

Edited by NLPRacing

I kind of like the new E-Series front end, especially on the 4x4 conversions:

Yeah, it looks okay when you make the rest of the vehicle ginormous to match its proportions and put the upgraded headlights on it which the vast majority of them don't have.

Otherwise, it looks terrible.

Ford-E-150-CAC00FOV171A0101-F.jpg

Edited by NickF1011

Yeah, it looks okay when you make the rest of the vehicle ginormous to match its proportions and put the upgraded headlights on it which the vast majority of them don't have.

Otherwise, it looks terrible.

Ford-E-150-CAC00FOV171A0101-F.jpg

Still looks better than this:

New-Nissan-NV2500.jpg2011_nissan_commercial_van_05_cd_gallery.jpg

Unless they are just super cheap, super capable or there is just more Nissan fans out there than I thought, I just don't see it selling.

Unless they are just super cheap, super capable or there is just more Nissan fans out there than I thought, I just don't see it selling.

I'm not saying it will be a sales success, but it won't be because of its looks. I think the NV looks a lot better than the plain vanilla E-150 I posted.

I'm not saying it will be a sales success, but it won't be because of its looks. I think the NV looks a lot better than the plain vanilla E-150 I posted.

Really? Have you seen the side shots with the ungainly front overhang? These look like they would be a nightmare navigating thru a loading area.

Look at this view:

driverssidecrosssection3.jpg

It reminds me of the Uplander:

4506-037-driver-side-door-open-480.jpg

Really? Have you seen the side shots with the ungainly front overhang? These look like they would be a nightmare navigating thru a loading area.

Look at this view:

driverssidecrosssection3.jpg

5938-037-driver-side-door-open-480.jpg

Doesn't appear to be much longer than the E-series front overhang. The lower cowl height makes it appear a lot longer. It's certainly no worse than any pickup truck on the market.

5938-037-driver-side-door-open-480.jpg

Doesn't appear to be much longer than the E-series front overhang. The lower cowl height makes it appear a lot longer. It's certainly no worse than any pickup truck on the market.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I think the proportions of this thing make it look weird & ugly and much uglier than the E-Series in comparison. I still think it has FAIL written all over it.

I still think it has FAIL written all over it.

Oh, I do to. But only because it is a Nissan trying to enter a segment they have shown little success in in the past that is dominated by a couple of major players already, not because it's ugly (which I already said it is, but so is everything else in the commercial van segment at present).

I know, but still.

I guess it's the way the sheetmetal is designed, but the rear window areas (or where the windows would be) looks strange.

And do I really NOT see a rear door handle???? Good move there Nissan.

I don't mind the looks, in fact I think it looks worlds better than the E-series. But I think part of its downfall will be as Nick said that it's trying to compete in a segment with some very established players. And, as far as the half-ton version goes, you can only get a V-6. Yup, that's right, you need to step up to the three-quarter-ton NV2500 HD to get the V-8.

This thing is not in competition with the Transit- it is however a direct shot at the E series. As I have said before, what does Nissan's market research tell them that Ford apparently is ignoring-if you believe E-150, 250, 350 will go away. Also Nissan hired one of Ford's key commercial truck guys to head up this program.

to those of you who say this is going to be a failure, I hope you are right and I think as long as the E-150/250/350 remain in their current form, they will continue to kick ass in this segment. Once they are gone though, think for example the plumber or electrician who was buying rugged E series is going to flock to a FWD Transits?- I don't think so. At that point this Nissan might be the only game in town.

By the way. I parked next to a Transit connect the other day. Truck belonged to some outfit that serviced food/drink dispensing equipment. Asked the guy how he liked it and he couldn't say "hate it" fast enough. The issues?.."Take your life in your hands pulling onto an on ramp and I have no room for anything". I asked what did it replace? Answer-E-350. DUH-classic case of misapplication-but the guys boss I would say saw that sticker price and the "theoretical" MPG and said .."we can live with it"-

PS If you look at the Titan's success I would say this too will be a loser-but the key is it will at some point be the only rugged "old school" van. Like I said, the tradesman who loads the shit out of his truck and is bouncing through the mud at a construction site is not going to be turned on by the cute Transit.

For a commercial / work van, this new Nissan does not look any worse than the latest butt ugly front on the E Series. One big advantage that I see for the Nissan is that it is available in a tall roof version right from the dealer at a price considerably lower than an E Series that has had a fiberglass roof extension. And the rear doors are full height too, where most roof lifts on the E Series still use the standard doors.

In my opinion what will doom the Nissan vans is the one thing that is really giving the Chevy vans an edge right now - the availability of a diesel. I am seeing more new Chevy vans recently than I have seen in years. E Series sales have been holding up due to alot of inertia - commercial buyers rarely change what they order unless they hear that dreaded statement - "you cannot get thet feature/option in our product" -. And lack of a diesel, especially in the cutaways used for busses and similar uses is giving Chevy a huge marhet entry opportunity.

Whoever comes up with a van that offers an economical diesel in the 230 to 260 hp range for commercial vans will clean up.