Picked up my 2011 Explorer

I picked up our 2011 Explorer XLT last night, white suede exterior, medium light stone interior leather, sunroof, trailer tow package, MyFord etc, etc. I test drove this last Friday and made the deal Monday, couldn't say no to it. This machine is amazing and far superior to the old one (and any other SUV as well)! We traded in our 2002 XLT Explorer with 120K on the odometer, used my employer's X plan and got 2 rebates to boot, ended up $30K OTD. One thing to point out though, the owners manual states the fuel tank is 18.6 gallons, while the capacities listed on Ford Vehicles states it's 22 gallons. I'm curious which one it will be since we picked it up with a full tank.

One more question Tom - is the fuel door locked when the car is locked? Is there a button to "pop it" or can you just open it whenever? I would hope that when the car is locked, the gas door is locked shut too. Thanks in advance

It's the same as all the new Fords, with a "push and pop-open" release. No lock.

The capless filler has a screen protecting the vehicle from fuel theft, however.

It's the same as all the new Fords, with a "push and pop-open" release. No lock.

The capless filler has a screen protecting the vehicle from fuel theft, however.

Thanks for the response. Just to clarify and be abundantly clear, does the push and pop still work if the car is locked?

My current vehicle is of the push and pop variety, but there is no pushing or popping when the vehicle is locked. Not a huge deal, but if I could design it myself, that's what it would be. I'm not really familiar with this capless system, so perhaps that is enough security.

Thanks for the response. Just to clarify and be abundantly clear, does the push and pop still work if the car is locked?

My current vehicle is of the push and pop variety, but there is no pushing or popping when the vehicle is locked. Not a huge deal, but if I could design it myself, that's what it would be. I'm not really familiar with this capless system, so perhaps that is enough security.

I know some bimmers won't open unless the car is locked, but Euroean cars have always been a little more secure in that regard. Look at the locking hood on the Transit Connect. Wierd.

I work at a dealer, and walked out to a locked Explorer when I read your post, and it opened with a push.

The capless fuel filler is one of those small "gimmicks" that you learn to love. I hate filling up my Escape (Which doesn't have it) now. As stated, there are protections against siphoning, and even filling with a can (if you run out road side) requires a special funnel (which is stored by the spare tire)

johnboy,

the blind spots are larger than on the previous generation in te rear quarters. I knew this before the purchase and am still getting used to it. The mirrors are larger than on my 2002 so that makes a big difference as well as the fisheye mirror on those mirrors. The rear view camera and alarm is a large help backing out of a parking spot. So far, we put on 300 miles since picking it up and love every minute in it. I'll post MPG from the 1st tank when I fill up in a day or two.

So far, if I have one complaint is the getting in and out of the vehicle without the side steps that my 2002 had. My 4 year old daughter struggles getting in and out too. Still trying to post pictures.

johnboy,

the blind spots are larger than on the previous generation in te rear quarters. I knew this before the purchase and am still getting used to it. The mirrors are larger than on my 2002 so that makes a big difference as well as the fisheye mirror on those mirrors. The rear view camera and alarm is a large help backing out of a parking spot. So far, we put on 300 miles since picking it up and love every minute in it. I'll post MPG from the 1st tank when I fill up in a day or two.

So far, if I have one complaint is the getting in and out of the vehicle without the side steps that my 2002 had. My 4 year old daughter struggles getting in and out too. Still trying to post pictures.

I have the fisheye on my wife's Escape and I never liked it. I could never get used to it for some reason.

johnboy,

The running boards may be gone...BUT (and this is a HUGE but for a professional, working female), the running boards were just another way to get dirt and grime on your suit pants, especially in the winter. My dealer gave me a 2010 Explorer EB to "use" until my order came in---ordered in October and still don't have build date! :(

If you notice on the new Explorers, the door actually comes down all the way to "road" level---don't know how best to describe----but what I'm getting at is that when you open the door, everything that your leg may come in contact with was protected by the exterior door....so no dirt and grime. From my perspective, that is a plus. But, to each his own...and to mention, i did ASK to get running boards on this one!

Filled up my first tank today........17.8 MPG all backroad driving and lot's and lot's of idling playing with the new features. I'm not 100% positive on this calculation since there was 25 miles on it when I picked it up, not sure if the dealer filled up the tank all the way an how much of the first 25 miles came from that fill up. I'll post my second tank MPG's. Hoping my average comes to 20 MPG. My 2002 everyday average was 16.5.

I test drove a 2011 Explorer and the rear view was a little challenging, especially with the third row headrests up. I would highly recommend the backup camera to anybody considering a new Explorer. Also, I was hoping the gas tank would be at least 20 gallons but at least the 18.6 gallon will go a little further with the increased efficiency.