Reason #1,597 NOT to drive an older Kia Sportage

PREMiERdrum

CHILLICOTHE -- A wreck this morning on the North Bridge Street bridge sent two people to the hospital and shut down the southbound lanes for about an hour.

The three-vehicle collision, which occurred about 10:15 a.m., involved two pickup trucks -- a Chevrolet Silverado and a Toyota Tundra -- as well as a Kia Sportage.

While traveling north on the bridge, the Toyota and the Kia collided and the Kia spun into the southbound lanes, where it was rear-ended by the Chevrolet, said Sgt. Terrill Barnes of the Ohio Highway Patrol.

"Why they (the Kia and the Toyota) collided, that's what we'll have to figure out," Barnes said.

The back end of the Kia was completely smashed in, almost to the driver's seat headrest. The Chevrolet's front end was crumpled.

The drivers of both vehicles were taken to Adena Regional Medical Center. Their names were not immediately available.

The Toyota had only minor damage and its driver was not treated, Barnes said.

As of 11:30 a.m., the southbound lanes were said to be open again.

LINK - Chillicothe (OH) Gazette

Hard to believe this model was on sale until the 2004 redesign.

post-27660-0-45384400-1295299348_thumb.jpg

Edited by PREMiERdrum

Eh, not to say it performed admirably, but it's a bit difficult to quantify the safety of a vehicle based on the non-expert analysis of a bystander. If we all went by specific instances, the Crown Vic would have to be the most unsafe pile of garbage ever built.

police-car-crash-santa-maria.jpg

But we know that not to be the case...

Eh, not to say it performed admirably, but it's a bit difficult to quantify the safety of a vehicle based on the non-expert analysis of a bystander. If we all went by specific instances, the Crown Vic would have to be the most unsafe pile of garbage ever built.

police-car-crash-santa-maria.jpg

But we know that not to be the case...

C'mon, Nick... the Silverado is visible in the pic, with damage consistent with a typical, moderate collision. The Kia had intrusion thru the liftgate, cargo area, rear seat, rear passenger area, and almost to the back of the front seats.

• Like 1

C'mon, Nick... the Silverado is visible in the pic, with damage consistent with a typical, moderate collision. The Kia had intrusion thru the liftgate, cargo area, rear seat, rear passenger area, and almost to the back of the front seats.

Nothing looks particularly "moderate" about the damage to the Silverado. The entire front of it is wrecked. And with the difference in inertia between the smaller Kia and the larger Silverado, the smaller vehicle is almost always going to fair worse.

I only needed one reason, the name on the grille...

For comparison purposes... My Mustang was hit by a GMC superduty going 30 mph faster than me. (The traffic on the highway slowed down and the pick up moron was the only one who didn't notice.)

The first shows what it looked like right after, the second shows it with all the damaged stuff removed.

post-18828-0-97230800-1295315050_thumb.jpg

post-18828-0-42526400-1295315075_thumb.jpg

For comparison purposes... My Mustang was hit by a GMC superduty going 30 mph faster than me. (The traffic on the highway slowed down and the pick up moron was the only one who didn't notice.)

The first shows what it looked like right after, the second shows it with all the damaged stuff removed.

Glad to see your Mustang held up well and kept you safe in that accident.

However, I'm not sure that it is a very good comparison considering the Kia was going the opposite direction of the truck and they hit after it spun into oncoming traffic (and the speeds were not listed, so who knows what the combined effect would be). Even though it was hit in the rear...the cars were traveling towards each other.

If I do remember correctly, that Crown Vic cop driver actually survived that accident without any issues. Something about spun out of control doing 60+ into a light pole...

The driver in the Kia survived too, so I think it's pretty valid to compare to the two. The point was that you can't judge the safety of a vehicle just by looking at pictures of one accident. Of course, any passengers in either of those vehicles would have been in a world of trouble.

LINK - Chillicothe (OH) Gazette

Hard to believe this model was on sale until the 2004 redesign.

It's hard to believe that they're STILL selling this (essentially same) car on Ford dealer's lots.....TODAY! B)

3392117_f520.jpg

http://hubpages.com/...-to-Low-Ratings (scroll down)

That being said, I agree with the philosophy that driving '90s (or earlier) era compact vehicles is probably not a good idea in this day and age.

Heck.... even when I'm out in my '88 5.0 'Stang, I sometimes wonder what I'd look like if some a**hole whacks me. I've read that the doors can be pinched shut if the old Fox bodies get hit from behind with any force. That's one of the reasons I keep the car's tire iron under the passenger seat -- just in case I need to break a window to get out!

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine

It was a polite way of saying a large "POS". I don't know what GMC Sierra equivalent to a Ford F250 is, but it was a 2011 GMC contractor pickup that looked twice the size and weight of my car.

That would be a GMC Sierra HD2500/HD3500 then. Unless it was possibly a GMC Sierra Denali HD (2500/3500).

While the striking car in a rear-end collision typically looks the worst, I'd agree with those who are pointing to the truck's damage as a sign of the crash's severity. That such a heavy vehicle suffered any appreciable damage means this was a very powerful collision.

This is the result of an IIHS crash test that shows just how little damage a bigger vehicle can incur:

800px-Ford_Focus_versus_Ford_Explorer_crash_test_IIHS.jpg