Any new Fords debuting in Chicago?

Now that NAIAS is over, Chicago is the next big show on the calendar. Are there any plans for new Ford debuts? The MKS is due for an update in 2012, there are rumors of an updated Taurus as well. The Flex is also due for an update as well. Then there's the possibility of a C-Segment Lincoln as well. Should we expect any of these to debut? Is there anything else?

Edited by atvman

Supposedly there is at least one Lincoln which had been scheduled for Detroit and they pushed it back to Chicago pretty late last year. Don't know if that was the Compact or the refreshed MKS.

I haven't seen any camo'ed Flexes yet, might be too soon for the refresh.

The Livery market MKT could show up. The 2-row Town Car replacement variant would be a good thing to have on display for journos and consumers to sit in.

Supposedly there is at least one Lincoln which had been scheduled for Detroit and they pushed it back to Chicago pretty late last year...

...The Livery market MKT could show up. The 2-row Town Car replacement variant would be a good thing to have on display for journos and consumers to sit in.

Oooooooooooooh :D

Thanks for that, Moosetang!

I'd be very interested in seeing the 2rowMKTlivery! (MKTwoRL?)

(& that shouldn't be toooo progressive for Ford's "Crush the Lincoln Dealers" routine :finger:]

now will it be Chicago or wait for the "Home of the Black Car"

I haven't seen any camo'ed Flexes yet, might be too soon for the refresh.

It should be about time for a Flex refresh, IMO. I'm not expecting too much as far as exterior updates go (new grille, new front bumper, revised headlights, LED running lights in place of foglights, etc, slightly modified rear bumper), but the interior could use a good freshening - what was the greatest in the Ford lineup is starting to lag behind the rest of them.

This is what I'd do exterior-wise (yes, many of you have seen these before, but too bad!) :

2012Flex13.jpg

2012Flex2.jpg

It should be about time for a Flex refresh, IMO. I'm not expecting too much as far as exterior updates go (new grille, new front bumper, revised headlights, LED running lights in place of foglights, etc, slightly modified rear bumper), but the interior could use a good freshening - what was the greatest in the Ford lineup is starting to lag behind the rest of them.

Sorry, language failure on my part. By "too soon" I meant because we haven't seen any prototypes we might not see the refresh yet. I absolutely agree that in a product-cycle sense the time for a refresh is NOW.

Sorry, language failure on my part. By "too soon" I meant because we haven't seen any prototypes we might not see the refresh yet. I absolutely agree that in a product-cycle sense the time for a refresh is NOW.

We didn't see any Focus prototypes either. I sure hope the update the Flex soon. It's still sporting the first gen 3 bar grille and it's looking pretty dated.

Gotcha - as NLP said, we didn't see Focus prototypes, either - and with the minimal changes that I presume they'll make, I don't know how much testing they'd really need to do.

We didn't see any Focus prototypes either. I sure hope the update the Flex soon. It's still sporting the first gen 3 bar grille and it's looking pretty dated.

It still looks good (IMO, lol), but it's definitely do for a redo inside and out, especially with the new vehicles Ford is coming out with.

I'm hoping for 400hp software upgrade for SHO and MKS.... but maybe not.

Some sort of official announcement on Focus wagon for US/Canada.

2.0 Ecoboost Edge.

More details on power output for US Spec 1.6 Ecoboost.

Some type of Mustang and F-150 special editions.

No way. The transmission can't take it.

With the addition of TiVCT, Ford could tune the engine to max-out torque at the transmission's limit and still make 400hp. The power peak will be higher in the RPM range, but that's fine as long as it still has great torque down low.

It was already stated by someone at Ford that 365hp is good, 400 is better.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/20/ford-hints-at-400-hp-taurus-sho-and-more-during-annual-conventio/

Besides, the tuners are already past that.

According to an insider that was nothing more than a comment to gauge reaction made by the engine guy. And we know it's easy to get the engine to 400 hp.

If they make that type of change they'll have to make drivetrain upgrades which is why I said no way to just a software upgrade.

And just because a tuner maxed out the engine output doesn't mean the rest of the drivetrain will survive long term.

There was a reason they limited the engine output in the first place.

There was a reason they limited the engine output in the first place.

The Transmission can survive 400HP, it has issues with Torque down low, which is why the engine output was limited. The engine has computer managment to help limit the amount of Torque down load so it doesn't strip the transmission. I don't see a major issue with adding more HP and limiting the Torque.

Gotcha - as NLP said, we didn't see Focus prototypes, either - and with the minimal changes that I presume they'll make, I don't know how much testing they'd really need to do.

It still looks good (IMO, lol), but it's definitely do for a redo inside and out, especially with the new vehicles Ford is coming out with.

Don't get me wrong, I like it as well. I was just pointing out that it is the only Ford left sporting that original version of the 3 bar grill. Of course it was the last to get it as well, but it stills need updating ASAP, IMO.

The Transmission can survive 400HP, it has issues with Torque down low, which is why the engine output was limited. The engine has computer managment to help limit the amount of Torque down load so it doesn't strip the transmission. I don't see a major issue with adding more HP and limiting the Torque.

It has issues with torque - period (not just "down low" whatever that means).

Do you even understand how hp is calculated? There are only 2 ways to increase HP - increase torque or increase RPM. The 3.5L EB in the SHO is flat-lined at 350 lb/ft from 1500 to 5500 RPM. After 5500 the torque drops considerably so adding RPM by increasing redline won't do it. Therefore the only way to get 400 hp is to increase the torque and the current drivetrain can't handle it. If it could then the computer would allow more than 350 lb/ft right now.

2010_Ford_Taurus_SHO_EcoBoost_Power-Curve.jpg

If it could then the computer would allow more than 350 lb/ft right now.

Ever consider the fact that they might be intentionaly limiting the engine to allow future growth of power? Or they wanted to more fully develop/test the power train at higher powerlevels but couldn't do that the time with the release date?

Its like the new 5.0..its offically rated at 412HP, when its actually putting out much more then that. Look that the Boss Mustang...not much done to the engine (if anything AFAIK), but its rated at 440HP.

Ever consider the fact that they might be intentionaly limiting the engine to allow future growth of power? Or they wanted to more fully develop/test the power train at higher powerlevels but couldn't do that the time with the release date?

Its like the new 5.0..its offically rated at 412HP, when its actually putting out much more then that. Look that the Boss Mustang...not much done to the engine (if anything AFAIK), but its rated at 440HP.

The Boss engine is heavily revised. It has CNC ported heads, unique camshafts, a box-type short runner intake, and forged pistons. It is rated at 444hp, but it will probably be at least as underrated as the GT's 5.0L. That said, the FWD 3.5L EB does not have TiVCT, odds are any future changes will include it. TiVCT could allow the engine to extend the torque band up to 6000rpm, which would result in awfully close to 400hp.

Nope. They would have done that already - the SHO has been out for almost 2 years now. If not on the Taurus then at least on the MKS. And it's not just the tranny - it's the entire drivetrain including the rear diff and the front subframe.

When they first put the EB 3.5L in the D3 chassis it tore apart the front subframe rather quickly which led to "D4".

Nope. They would have done that already - the SHO has been out for almost 2 years now.

We also aren't talking about the computer or eletcronics industury either. I seriously doubt that Ford is going to let the 365HP EBV6 to stay at those numbers in the next refresh next spring.

That would be downright stupid to release something with no room for future upgrades in performance etc...I don't think the number is stuck in stone with no recourse

We also aren't talking about the computer or eletcronics industury either. I seriously doubt that Ford is going to let the 365HP EBV6 to stay at those numbers in the next refresh next spring.

That would be downright stupid to release something with no room for future upgrades in performance etc...I don't think the number is stuck in stone with no recourse

Nobody said it couldn't be done or that it wouldn't be done - all I said was that you can't just make a software change to the current platform.

They'll have to beef up the chassis and drivetrain which I'm sure they're working on - if not for D4 then for CD4.