F150 5.0 sneak peek

wow, better than what i was guessing also. The EB runs a 14.67, but in 2wd SC form. Pretty sure a EB in the same trim would be high 14's (14.8?), or maybe even quicker. Put it in 4wd and rev it to the sweet spot at 1600 rpm and let her go. You can be way more aggressive in 4wd so it may get better et's even with more weight.

Very impressive, faster than a similarly equipped 5.7 Tundra and it ran the 1/4 mile within a hundredth of a similarly equipped 6.2 Chevy.

One guy over on another site traded his Tundra in on a '11 5.0 F150 and remarked at how much better the 5.0 holds overdrive while towing...gotta love that mid-range torque.

I see P/Matt/P71 reared his ugly opinions again. Good grief.

Anyway, the unloaded performance numbers truly illustrate how far drivetrain technology has come. The 0-60 and 1/4 mile numbers are very similar to the 89 Thunderbird SC. That car weighed in at around 3800 lbs and had a supercharged 3.8L V-6. Granted, it was limited by its 2.73:1 gearing but the acceleration comparisons to a nearly 2000 lb heavier full-size 4x4 truck are still very revealing. I owned an 89 Supercoupe for several years and never thought of it as a "slow" car. It was considerably faster than the V-8 T-birds of the time. The new 5.0L is very impressive whether in a truck or a Mustang.

Makes me want to see it go head to head with the 3.5L EB and the 6.2L gas. No sense comparing to the competition except for maybe the Ram 1500. The GM 5.3L is thoroughly outclassed, nobody buys the GM 6.2L, and nobody buys Titans or Tundras. The Ram 5.7L is the only popular option that can compete.

"The metallic red F-150...lacked navigation, a rear backup camera and reverse sensors, making tail-first maneuvers a challenge in tight spots, and we couldn’t back up to the trailer without the help of a spotter."

How would backup camera and/or reverse sensors help you back up a trailer?

"The metallic red F-150...lacked navigation, a rear backup camera and reverse sensors, making tail-first maneuvers a challenge in tight spots, and we couldn’t back up to the trailer without the help of a spotter."

You just missed a couple words. :)

The camera, etc. probably wouldn't do much good after the trailer is hitched but I could see where they could help line up the receiver hitch ball with the trailer. In other words, they don't need someone (a "spotter") standing back there telling them to go left, right or when to stop.

For decades, people have backed up to their trailer, with no cameras. None. Also, for decades, you could not see the tongue of the trailer, when driving a truck............ no matter what year it was.

Yet, in todays society, learning to back up to your trailer is a lost art?? It requires a camera??

How about you use the mirrors to tell you when you are "square" on the trailer, then you will be liked up. All you have to do then, is get out to check how much further back you need to go. After you have done this a few times, with the same trailer, you get to where you can judge that distance also............ just from the mirrors.

Sorry, but complaints about things that people who have towed trailers forever, have lived and adjusted to, is silly.

It was a good review. I look forward to seeing a review for the EB.

Edited by Extreme4x4

For decades, people have backed up to their trailer, with no cameras. None. Also, for decades, you could not see the tongue of the trailer, when driving a truck............ no matter what year it was.

Yet, in todays society, learning to back up to your trailer is a lost art?? It requires a camera??

How about you use the mirrors to tell you when you are "square" on the trailer, then you will be liked up. All you have to do then, is get out to check how much further back you need to go. After you have done this a few times, with the same trailer, you get to where you can judge that distance also............ just from the mirrors.

Sorry, but complaints about things that people who have towed trailers forever, have lived and adjusted to, is silly.

It was a good review. I look forward to seeing a review for the EB.

After having gotten used to/spoiled by a camera, it's faster to hook up a trailer with it, especially when we're hooking and unhooking trailers multiple times in a few days.

Backup cameras are also marriage savers. ;-)

I have never used a rear camera before... Would it really give you enough depth perception to hook up the trailer without a guide?

They are often combined with the backup radar beeping signal...closer you get the faster the beep. Plus there is a gauge on the camera

2011_Ford_Super_Duty_Rear_View_Camera.jpg

Backup cameras are also marriage savers. ;-)

So you dont back up over your wife? LOL

They are often combined with the backup radar beeping signal...closer you get the faster the beep. Plus there is a gauge on the camera

Great photo. If you have to backup to a trailer by yourself, a camera can save you time lining up instead of jumping in and out of the truck that last few inches.

That does look extremely useful.

...Wait, so this is so you DON'T back over your wife? I thought it came with a crosshair model to aim for her...

I kid, I kid

Great photo. If you have to backup to a trailer by yourself, a camera can save you time lining up instead of jumping in and out of the truck that last few inches.

Agreed! They aren't a must, but they sure are handy.

Wish I had one...the wife is usually inside with the 3 kids while I'm hooking the trailer up getting ready to go.

Mike just posted the full article.

http://news.pickuptr...-liter-v-8.html

Thanks for posting that link, it looks like Ford has the balance of power, economy ad towing capacity just about right for the 5.0 V8 and while some might have wanted the tow rating to be 11,300 lbs as opposed to 10,000 lb, I'm sure that opens the door to Ecoboost V6 and the 6.2 V8 versions of the F150. Since the 5.0 option is expected to be the bulk of F150 sales, this test shows that most people buying the 5.0 can expect a great all rounder and a willing performer.

It's called progress. Maybe we should start washing our clothes on rocks again. It does a good job too.