Ford's own website teases "Explorer SHO"

In the past 2-3 weeks, I've seen 5-6 of them. Keep in mind I do drive 135 miles one way on Friday afternoons to get back home. Though I had a back to back sighting with in 5 minutes of one another 2-3 Saturdays ago.

The one ford product I'm downright amazed at how well its selling in my area is the new Edge...I can't swing a deadcat and NOT see one.

Yeah, I've been seeing a lot more new Edge's out and about.

The availability portion sounds like a perfectly good excuse. But the dealers in my area each have roughly 2-3 of them and I think only one has moved, unless they've replaced them with nearly identical models. After a quick scope of a few dealers, one dealer has 3, another has 2, 1 at another dealer, my dealer has 1 (as it looks like they just sold one since they had 2 when I was in last week) and 10 at another dealer. The problem may be, I see the majority of these are Limited models, and of those 17, only 4 are XLT models. So to me it's not a problem of availability, it's either Ford or the dealers not allocating enough XLT models and only offering the high end models.

It's kind of interesting Dean that you have an excuse at every turn for the Explorer, why is that?

And you said you haven't seen this type of action since the Expy. So your excuse of people not wanting to pay MSRP holds no weight. If they were getting that much action, and this car was the latest and greatest, you'll always have those folks who'll pay the going rate. I've actually seen more Raptor Screws (4) on the road here than I have Explorers (0). I've lost count on the # of Raptor Scabs I've seen.

I've seen about a half dozen Raptors since their release...didn't pay attention to if they where supercabs or not.

I can surely tell you I notice. As I'm wanting a Raptor Screw so bad, but the wife is next up to get a new ride, so the 2006 F150 will have to last me a few more years. Which shouldn't be a problem, being it only has 37K on the clock and still runs like new. Only warranty item was a speaker that blew out. Otherwise, it's been flawless.

Edited by V8-X

I've actually seen more Raptor Screws (4) on the road here than I have Explorers (0). I've lost count on the # of Raptor Scabs I've seen.

Just for clarification, you've seen 4 of THESE?

2011_ford_f150_svt_raptor_supercrew_images_main.jpg

I didn't even realize they were available in SuperCrew configuration yet.

I see these all the time:

ford-raptor.jpg

-----

As far as Explorer goes, I've seen about 5 or so running around town.

Edited by rmc523

ford-raptor.jpg

-----

As far as Explorer goes, I've seen about 5 or so running around town.

I've seen a couple Raptor SCrews on the road and just about every Ford dealer has at least one Raptor SCrew in stock.

BTW - I've sat in that silver one in that very picture, it was the one at the State Fair of Texas.

Capabilities disagree. Efficiency agree and disagree (see below). Content agree (but then again, look at the price now for all those features), Dynamics agree, NVH agree, fit/finish agree.

The off-road capabilities of this new Explorer are not up to par with the Gen I or II models. Towing is not up to the Gen III model. The sheer width and weight of this vehicle compromises it's capabilities too. But hey, it's plush with fancy features.

Efficiency is improved, but with the added weight/size, mpg's could have been better if they didn't balloon the size so much.

But then again, every new model improves in all those area's I agreed upon. The area's of efficiency and capabilities aren't always improved from one model to the next, and with the Explorer, they declined or were stagnant.

Yes this is my wife's vehicle, and no she doesn't need a rock crawler, just a good 5-7 passenger AWD or 4WD CUV/SUV to haul the three kids. For me, the capabilities are the biggest deterrent. For the wife, it's the style.

The wife has loved the style of the Flex from day one, where as she's stated the new Explorer blends in with the crowd. She liked the uniqueness of the Altima when we bought it in 2004, as not many other cars looked like it when it debuted in 2003. The Explorer, is to much the same old style that most other manufacturers are pushing out and does not interest her one bit.

All the more reason for the Flex and Explorer to exist in the same showroom. I like both vehicles. I would be hard pressed to choose between them if I was in the market right now. I saw a Mediterranian Blue Flex Limited with the Ecoboost that looked really nice and I am seeing more new Explorers on the road. Both vehicles have their merits.

ford-raptor.jpg

Yes, the Screw with 4 full size doors. Here is one from my local dealer. Not the trucks pics, but provides the vin and details.

http://www.lakewoodfordland.com/newfordlincolnmercurycars/2011_Ford_F-150_Lakewood_1FTFW1R60BFA61757.aspx

Yeah, I've been seeing a lot more new Edge's out and about.

The availability portion sounds like a perfectly good excuse. But the dealers in my area each have roughly 2-3 of them and I think only one has moved, unless they've replaced them with nearly identical models. After a quick scope of a few dealers, one dealer has 3, another has 2, 1 at another dealer, my dealer has 1 (as it looks like they just sold one since they had 2 when I was in last week) and 10 at another dealer. The problem may be, I see the majority of these are Limited models, and of those 17, only 4 are XLT models. So to me it's not a problem of availability, it's either Ford or the dealers not allocating enough XLT models and only offering the high end models.

It's kind of interesting Dean that you have an excuse at every turn for the Explorer, why is that?

And you said you haven't seen this type of action since the Expy. So your excuse of people not wanting to pay MSRP holds no weight. If they were getting that much action, and this car was the latest and greatest, you'll always have those folks who'll pay the going rate. I've actually seen more Raptor Screws (4) on the road here than I have Explorers (0). I've lost count on the # of Raptor Scabs I've seen.

no excuses V8, Fords hit the nail on the head...your desires are along the lines of a guy that feels a 6.7 Turbo diesel is deemed necessary to tow a jet ski, or a 15 passenger is required for a couple with one child.....point being your desires are so far removed from reality regarding this vehicle to warrant a little sarcasm ( all in good fun )....and as for the Explorer they ARE paying MSRP, those that dont want too, dont own one...so explain what exact "weight" you are talking about...right now the Explorer is generating more "buzz" than anything else in their lineup....

Edited by Deanh

no excuses V8, Fords hit the nail on the head...your desires are along the lines of a guy that feels a 6.7 Turbo diesel is deemed necessary to tow a jet ski, or a 15 passenger is required for a couple with one child.....point being your desires are so far removed from reality regarding this vehicle to warrant a little sarcasm ( all in good fun )....and as for the Explorer they ARE paying MSRP, those that dont want too, dont own one...so explain what exact "weight" you are talking about...right now the Explorer is generating more "buzz" than anything else in their lineup....

Evidently you misunderstood what I was saying.

I've agreed, Ford has done the right thing from a business standpoint or profit standpoint. They have made it more user friendly for the day to day city drivers. I've never argued that point. They'll lose some potential customers (which most vacated the Explorer after the '02 redesign), but they will gain many customers from the CUV market. I don't disagree with you there. It just seems as though you can't understand that there are many people out there, like myself, that expect more capability, which typically impacts the car like attributes.

And you making assumption, or stereotyping people that truly use their vehicles capabilities is absurd. It's their money, let them spend it how they want. Don't tell people what they can/can't buy. If they want the diesel, they'll pay for it. They want a 15 pass. vehicle, they'll pay. I'm sure there will be those single adults who by a 7 passenger Explorer, with absolutely no intentions of using all that seating space. And how do you know my desires align with theirs? I tow with my truck (roughly 6k lbs). I take it off-road many times a year. Maybe not to the extremes I used too, being I have other priorities in my life I have to attend to first, but I still do.

My desires aren't within reality? My desires are the same as many others out there. Just because they defer from yours, or the people that Ford intends to purchase the Explorer, doesn't mean my desires are abnormal. And I have no expectations from this Explorer, because I know it won't/can't do what I need/want it to. That's why I wouldn't consider the new Explorer. Think I've said that from day one. Doesn't mean it's a bad vehicle, just doesn't hit the mark for myself, or many out there looking for something more capable in areas the Explorer took a step back in.

Your excuse holds no weight because, you say you haven't seen this type of action on a vehicle since the Expy debuted. From my experience here in a market that clearly differs from yours, that action clearly isn't occurring. Sure the Explorer is selling for MSRP (or not selling based on the local market), but in CO, the Raptors are selling much quicker with a price tag much higher than the MSRP (based on the local dealers market adj. prices). And I would counter and say the Raptor is still receiving more buzz than any other vehicle in the Ford lineup. Sure the Explorer may be a close 2nd, but the Raptor continues to be a hot topic as if offers capability and something special that no other vehicle in its class offers. The Explorer may be class leading in certain areas, but really doesn't offer much that the competitors don't.

I'm done with this topic though. We've gone rounds about this before. And typically it is I agree with yours and the Ford standpoint, but you (and some others) just can't accept the Explorer has its flaws, just like ever other vehicle on the road. Too many people want to praise it for its goods, but are unwilling to see its faults.

Edited by V8-X

Evidently you misunderstood what I was saying.

I've agreed, Ford has done the right thing from a business standpoint or profit standpoint. They have made it more user friendly for the day to day city drivers. I've never argued that point. They'll lose some potential customers (which most vacated the Explorer after the '02 redesign), but they will gain many customers from the CUV market. I don't disagree with you there. It just seems as though you can't understand that there are many people out there, like myself, that expect more capability, which typically impacts the car like attributes.

And you making assumption, or stereotyping people that truly use their vehicles capabilities is absurd. It's their money, let them spend it how they want. Don't tell people what they can/can't buy. If they want the diesel, they'll pay for it. They want a 15 pass. vehicle, they'll pay. I'm sure there will be those single adults who by a 7 passenger Explorer, with absolutely no intentions of using all that seating space. And how do you know my desires align with theirs? I tow with my truck (roughly 6k lbs). I take it off-road many times a year. Maybe not to the extremes I used too, being I have other priorities in my life I have to attend to first, but I still do.

My desires aren't within reality? My desires are the same as many others out there. Just because they defer from yours, or the people that Ford intends to purchase the Explorer, doesn't mean my desires are abnormal. And I have no expectations from this Explorer, because I know it won't/can't do what I need/want it to. That's why I wouldn't consider the new Explorer. Think I've said that from day one. Doesn't mean it's a bad vehicle, just doesn't hit the mark for myself, or many out there looking for something more capable in areas the Explorer took a step back in.

Your excuse holds no weight because, you say you haven't seen this type of action on a vehicle since the Expy debuted. From my experience here in a market that clearly differs from yours, that action clearly isn't occurring. Sure the Explorer is selling for MSRP (or not selling based on the local market), but in CO, the Raptors are selling much quicker with a price tag much higher than the MSRP (based on the local dealers market adj. prices). And I would counter and say the Raptor is still receiving more buzz than any other vehicle in the Ford lineup. Sure the Explorer may be a close 2nd, but the Raptor continues to be a hot topic as if offers capability and something special that no other vehicle in its class offers. The Explorer may be class leading in certain areas, but really doesn't offer much that the competitors don't.

your desires are most definitely extreme when it comes to a vehicle designed for the mainstream....and cudos, but if they adressed your wishlist it would be suicidal from a monetary standpoint, to answer your desires requires a niche vehicle, low volume, and interestingly enough you mention the Raptor, case closed. I too would like something sized like nthe previous Bronco II with TRUE off road capability ( ala Defender 90 ) few creature comforts and an eco 2.0 with a lower curbweight and a 6 speed MANUAL trans....will it happen? probably not because its a niche vehicle, and thats not where the money lies. Ford did their homework, 2 things that cme up on the wishlist were TRUE offroad ability, but when they questioned how many actually DI go true offroad, less than 2% said yes....another was being able to tow 5000lbs plus, but when asked how many actually did that ...guess what?...so, YOUR desires as you stateare most definitely NOT thevoices of the majority, and I doubt anything will fully comply with your desires...admit it, you are a rarity...and Im NOT criticizing that fact at all, im just giving a real.ity check. So, here IS a question...what DOES satisfy your wishlist....this should be interesting...oh, and the Raptors are a low volume vehicle, yes the buzz is there, but where do you think the volume will be....you are comparing niche with mainstream again.....

Edited by Deanh

Don't confuse Ford's short to mid term plan of consolidation and platform reduction with "never gonna happen",

just because Ford is maximizing efficiency in North America doesn't mean other vehicles can't fill perceived niches.

There's always a chance that Ford may revisit something like T6 Ranger Dual cab and its SUV brother for those

customers who want a more fuel efficient successor to the BOF Explorer and Sportrac and while this may never

eventuate, it's comforting to know that Ford still has a roomy and affordable and up to date 4WD still available

albeit in the rest of the world.

The other part of the piece is what Ford decides to do with next generation F150, do they make a smaller F100

off that and skip importing vehicles from elsewhere. Plenty of contingencies are needed as no one can

really predict just how tough law makers will set economy regs for the second half of this decade.

Nice to know Ford seems to be covering bases....

Edited by jpd80

Don't confuse Ford's short to mid term plan of consolidation and platform reduction with "never gonna happen",

just because Ford is maximizing efficiency in North America doesn't mean other vehicles can't fill perceived niches.

There's always a chance that Ford may revisit something like T6 Ranger Dual cab and its SUV brother for those

customers who want a more fuel efficient successor to the BOF Explorer and Sportrac and while this may never

eventuate, it's comforting to know that Ford still has a roomy and affordable and up to date 4WD still available

albeit in the rest of the world.

The other part of the piece is what Ford decides to do with next generation F150, do they make a smaller F100

off that and skip importing vehicles from elsewhere. Plenty of contingencies are needed as no one can

really predict just how tough law makers will set economy regs for the second half of this decade.

Nice to know Ford seems to be covering bases....

one can only wish, funnily enough V8's wishes, although I think mis-guided when it comes to the Explorer, mimic my passions. I had a Defender 90 as a demo for a while and it was a hoot, beat the snot out of drivers/ passengers, drank gas like there was no tommorow, was noisy and unrefined, but on trails was amazing. Personally something along the lines of what I mentioned, with a modern drivetrain and refinement, would be extremely desirable...but once again, would be a niche vehicle with a "cult" following. And right now, before anything like that is pursued, the coffers need filling, so vehicles have to be designed with NUMBERS in mind...and right now the Explorer fills that void perfectly, just not to the extreme V8 desires....if they did they would alienate the masses...AND, I will say this, the way things are going, the future looks BRIGHT, just getting coffee this morning and walking past an Explore, Edge, and Flex parked together, i was hard pressed to think of another manufacturer with a tri-fecta that strong.

With the Jeep Liberty, Nissan Xterra, and Toyota FJ Cruiser, I'm guessing Ford considered this aspect of the market covered and focused on improving the qualities that people really used the Explorer for. And that isn't off roading, and it's been that way for some time (in my understanding.) A pity, really, because I like Fords. But I like Jeeps too.

F-series four-doors are what really replaced the 'Explorer' for Ford I think, and that didn't happen with this latest model renovation.

With the Jeep Liberty, Nissan Xterra, and Toyota FJ Cruiser, I'm guessing Ford considered this aspect of the market covered and focused on improving the qualities that people really used the Explorer for. And that isn't off roading, and it's been that way for some time (in my understanding.) A pity, really, because I like Fords. But I like Jeeps too.

F-series four-doors are what really replaced the 'Explorer' for Ford I think, and that didn't happen with this latest model renovation.

Well of those 3, the FJ Cruiser and XTerra are dead after their current life cycles, which is evidence of the shrinking segment.