Comparo: Focus vs. Cruze

I think Ford has a real opportunity to outsell the Honda Civic, because from appearances Honda has really dropped the ball with the new Civic. They actually made the exterior and interior worse looking!!! They will however continue to do what they do best and that is to offer the best lease rates. I could have leased a Civic for $250/month, but chose to buy the 2012 Focus Titanium for $550/month instead, because I did my homework, and I know in this case that Ford has done more than their share with this new masterpiece Focus! If we get back to the Cruze, it is really boring, and I see that it would only appeal to those 65 and older (no offense to the aged).

for does not have the capacity to out sell the Civic.

this is not a bad thing.

Toyota has had rebates on Corollas for over a year, and Honda has lease deals. They are using incentives.

Anyway, back to the Chevy Cruze. It has too much of old GM in it, some Olds Alero with Chevy Corisca. Just a nice car for old time GM fans to feel comfy driving. I may get some older people with Corolla tradeins, but not up and coming buyers. Focus has built up a loyal owner base, while GM has been changing model names and shufling deck chairs.

IMO, the Cruze will easily outsell the Focus for one reason...Incentives. I'm sure GM knows that their Cruze will not compete with the Focus on merits alone, so they will throw incentives on hood in order to beat it in sales. Sure, some will buy the Focus because it's better and therefore pay more for it, but many more will buy the Cruze because pocketbook issues take priority. I'm sure Toyota will make sure the Corolla easily undercuts the Focus in price and lease rates also. I'm sure the Focus will do well in sales, but it won't be number one in its segment in sales. More importantly though, it will make more profit for Ford than present one which is money loser.

The dude just got a profit sharing check of $5,000 minus taxes and is already bitching about the final assembly point of the Fusion. Go figure.

It would be great if that final assembly point for the Fusion - Ford's highest quality North American facility - is expanded to incorporate NA Mk3 Focus production in the future.

So how does closing two other plants make it better?

Because those two plants won Ford's top quality awards before they were closed.

And my original post should say ~$2 Billion. I know it was more, but one of the saved links doesn't work and I can't find the cashed page, therefore I can only prove $2B.

Only took ~4 Billion dollars and closing Atlanta and Wixom to get it.

J.D. Power also gave the Platinum Plant Quality Award for producing vehicles yielding the fewest defects to Ford’s Wixom Assembly Plant, which stopped making cars May 31. The Detroit-area plant produced the Lincoln Town Car, which averages 35 problems per 100 vehicles.

It was the first North American assembly plant to receive the honor since 1999.

Hermosillo had 33 defects, lower than Wixom even when they won the Platinum award and I presume lower than Atlanta based on the last sentence.

Thanks for playing. Try again.