Sync Off to Buggy start

As I posted over at GMI...

Ford's response, from Autoblog:

Customers remain highly satisfied with SYNC and 80% say that they would recommend it to others, but we are committed to improving the ownership experience even further. Further to your post, we'd like to stress that the maintenance screen reboots that the Autoblog team experienced are very rare for our customers. We have already released new software updates into production and these have also been made available through dealers since Autoblog evaluated the vehicles mentioned in the post. The latest software level, launched in the new 2012 Focus with MyFord Touch, features an update that significantly minimizes the chance of maintenance reboots. That same improvement is being applied to the 2011 Ford Edge, Explorer, and Lincoln MKX models beginning with early April production, and will also be available for current owners from their local Ford and Lincoln dealer as a SYNC software update. We have already informed our owners, and dealers, of the available software updates, and will continue to do so as they become available. We have also recently launched several customer initiatives to help answer any questions that owners may have about SYNC and MyFord Touch:

· Owner Support Website - http://www.syncmyride.com/own/touch

· Text and video based tutorials from feature overview to a "how-to" guide

1 The ability to share information directly from site via email, mobile, print or Facebook

2 A "Click to Chat" option which provides one-on-one conversations with a Ford Technology expert

· Our In-Vehicle Technology Call Center provides one-on-one discussions with a Ford Technology expert. Monday through Friday, (8:30am – 5:00pm local time)

So, Autoblog wrote this piece from their experience in cars which hadn't had the software update performed (the update has been out since December, IIRC), and failed to mention that an update has been made available and customers have been notified. That's solid journalism, guys.

Since getting my Edge in November, I've experienced the Sync reboot screen all of about 5-6 times. I just had the reflash performed yesterday. I'm guessing it will happen even less now. These "problems" are blown out of proportion, especially considering they were evaluating older versions of the software.

At least Ford has worked dilgently on a fix that seems to resolve most customer complaints. Microsoft, or not, SYNC has advanced so far in such a short time that these sorts of things were bound to happen. So long as Ford has a short/long term plan to address these growing pains, I fail to see what the big deal is.

Other manufacturers with less complicated systems, have interfaces that are just as buggy. The I-Drive system in our car has gone through several meltdowns, rendering the entire console useless......and there still isn't a fix.

At least Ford has worked dilgently on a fix that seems to resolve most customer complaints. Microsoft, or not, SYNC has advanced so far in such a short time that these sorts of things were bound to happen. So long as Ford has a short/long term plan to address these growing pains, I fail to see what the big deal is.

Other manufacturers with less complicated systems, have interfaces that are just as buggy. The I-Drive system in our car has gone through several meltdowns, rendering the entire console useless......and there still isn't a fix.

Agreed. Glitches in car electronics certainly isn't limited to the Ford, or even BMW; the MMI in our Audi has ceased up a few times usually only for a minute or so and there has been two instances which a trip to the dealer was necessary as the system wouldn't reset itself even after restarting the car and disconnecting the battery. In both cases all the dealer did was reset the system and that is all. Apparently Audi is working on a software update.

I've updated my FordLincoln Touch and had the module replaced due to a recall, but I still have these problems. Actually, the crashing started happening after the recall work was done. It seems to happen when I'm using Bluetooth Audio, and since Bluetooth Audio didn't work until the recall work was done, I guess it makes sense why it's causing the faults now.

My Mother has a Job 2 2011 Ford Edge, complete with the new side view mirrors, her My Ford Touch system works better but still has some lag issues.

I still like it, I'm very comfortable with it...but it's just not working as well as it should, I still have mountains of bugs to complain about.

It seems to happen when I'm using Bluetooth Audio

Bluetooth---especially BTA--reminds me of the 'bad old days' when Microsoft and the PC industry first launched Plug-N-Play on the PCI bus.

Ho-ly CRAP. How often did I long for the good old ISA/parallel port days when you plugged in the device and the CPU didn't try to communicate with it until you ran the driver install software or navigated to the built in driver....

Works fine now, but man did it have a rough teething period. Bluetooth seems the same way... You've got this device communication *standard* which is so unevenly implemented that it's not a question of being standards compliant so much as it is having to bend, tweak, adjust, and adapt your code to accommodate the 800lb gorillas with bad code.

Edited by RichardJensen

Bluetooth---especially BTA--reminds me of the 'bad old days' when Microsoft and the PC industry first launched Plug-N-Play on the PCI bus.

Ho-ly CRAP. How often did I long for the good old ISA/parallel port days when you plugged in the device and the CPU didn't try to communicate with it until you ran the driver install software or navigated to the built in driver....

Works fine now, but man did it have a rough teething period. Bluetooth seems the same way... You've got this device communication *standard* which is so unevenly implemented that it's not a question of being standards compliant so much as it is having to bend, tweak, adjust, and adapt your code to accommodate the 800lb gorillas with bad code.

The thing is I never had so much Bluetooth trouble with the previous Ford Sync headunits, just the system in MyFord Touch. The old Sync system was bulletproof (at least from my experience), I sorta expected the same with MyFord Touch. I'm actually going in for another 2-hour flash update which should fix the problems I'm having with the clock (it won't hold the correct time). My Mother's new Edge has the same issue with the clock so it must be a very recent fix.

Having experienced a Microsoft based smart phone for the last 2 years (HTC Touch Pro 2, not the new stuff they have out), I would steer very clear of any non PC based applications they integrate into other manufacturers hardware. I swear the SW still runs off DOS. They really need to figure out how to make their SW less complex and more user friendly. No I'm not an Apple fanboy.

Having experienced a Microsoft based smart phone for the last 2 years (HTC Touch Pro 2, not the new stuff they have out), I would steer very clear of any non PC based applications they integrate into other manufacturers hardware. I swear the SW still runs off DOS. They really need to figure out how to make their SW less complex and more user friendly. No I'm not an Apple fanboy.

I AM an Apple fanboy of an extreme order you are unlikely to see again in your lifetime, but that doesn't mean I'm anti-Microsoft. Afterall, Apple didn't develop sync or anything like it and Sync (can be/is) awesome! The system performance issues are a combination of companies here, and Ford is ultimatley responsible for delivering a stable and reliable system to its customers. If they can't, then they need to move aggresively to develop an alternative (or partner with somebody else) to the buggy Windows CE Automotive archtecture they elected to go with. For me the issue isn't system desgin (UI, controls, etc.), as much as reliability and speed, and that largely lies in the hands of the developers and hardware they chose for the headunit. I just hope this is a solvable problem and we'll eventually see a snappy and happy MyFord Touch in all their cars...I love the potential of the system. But it's clear that the designers of the interface had no idea the developers and hardware couldn't make it work as well as planned.

Edited by BORG

Just because you might see a command prompt doesn't mean its running DOS....

I've heard good things about their Windows 7 Mobile based phones vs their older generation ones which where panned big time....

Just because you might see a command prompt doesn't mean its running DOS....

I've heard good things about their Windows 7 Mobile based phones vs their older generation ones which where panned big time....

WinPho7 is great tech, they definitely have a winner there, even if it's still running on Windows CE...they are develping a replacement right now. Microsoft has returned to its innovative roots so they are producing some real technological hits, although they are completely incompetent at marketing and getting developers behind them (maybe the Nokia deal with do something). They tend to behave like a me-too company however, they don't lead and the only way they get by is because they have massive existing penetration (come to think of it, Nokia and Microsoft were born to work together! :).

Anyway, I'm not sure where the problems lie with MyFord, Ford seems to be blaming Microsoft now which indicates some genuine tension there. I'm not sure who is developing what and where all the bugs and failures are originating. Please for the love of God, figure this out guys so it's not too late, this has the potential of spoiling the entire image of Ford and Sync as the tech leader, remember iDrive?

Thanks for the info BORG. We have an Explorer on order and I am glad that the interface is not the issue (wifes car...trading in the GLK), and from what I have seen of My Ford - the interface is what I like. There is a hold up on these vehicals that the dealer cannot pin point beyond the fact that ours is built. Perhaps they are doing the reflash with new code prior to shipment?

Thanks for the info BORG. We have an Explorer on order and I am glad that the interface is not the issue (wifes car...trading in the GLK), and from what I have seen of My Ford - the interface is what I like. There is a hold up on these vehicals that the dealer cannot pin point beyond the fact that ours is built. Perhaps they are doing the reflash with new code prior to shipment?

It's possible, but they could also do the update at the dealership. It could also be a number of other issues.