Fed Expand Probe of 1.5Mil Fords

Actually, it's called an "emergency brake" for a reason.

Noah....actually it is called a parking brake...from my owners manual on page #161....

Parking brake

To set the parking brake (1), pull

the parking brake handle up as far

as possible.

The BRAKE warning lamp will

illuminate and will remain

illuminated until the parking brake

is released.

To release, press and hold the button (2), pull the handle up slightly,

then push the handle down.

Unless I miss my guess shift interlock prevents you from removing the key from the cylinder unless the car is in park.

Also, having jacked up the front end of my FWD Fords on a few occasions, I can tell you that you need to loosen the lugs before you jack the tires off the floor because Ford's wheels spin freely--but in opposite directions--while the car is in park. Always been curious how they do that.

Unless I miss my guess shift interlock prevents you from removing the key from the cylinder unless the car is in park.

Also, having jacked up the front end of my FWD Fords on a few occasions, I can tell you that you need to loosen the lugs before you jack the tires off the floor because Ford's wheels spin freely--but in opposite directions--while the car is in park. Always been curious how they do that.

LOL...do they drug screen moderators here?......

Its a lot easier to see in person.

Thanks. I was thinking that it was something to do with the differential, but for the life of me couldn't imagine how the gears would work..... Took a general aptitude test in junior high---worst score I got was in spatial reasoning, so that's probably why I couldn't imagine what was going on with those gears....

Thanks. I was thinking that it was something to do with the differential, but for the life of me couldn't imagine how the gears would work..... Took a general aptitude test in junior high---worst score I got was in spatial reasoning, so that's probably why I couldn't imagine what was going on with those gears....

I am good with spatial reasoning and I still can't understand how the damn things work. I've seen the animations, etc. but it just doesn't click. Sort of like Calculus.

One day I just had to know how 3-way light switches work, so I took 2 switches, some short pieces of wire and a voltmeter and 5 minutes later I got it. Now I can wire up a 3-way switch blindfolded without having to look it up and I can do it different ways. I hate not knowing how something works.

I remember the day calculus clicked... Had a great prof. An ABD guy who played a mean sax in a jazz band and recognized the possibility--if not the likelihood--of an interesting life existing outside mathematics. He was also one of the reviewers of the textbook we were using.

On the animation, the large gear is driven by the transmission. The two smaller concentric gears drive the front wheels, and the four gears attached to the larger gear on shafts allow the gears driving the front wheels to move at different speeds.

When the two axle gears are moving at the same speed, the differential gears do not move at all. When there is drag on one of the wheels (the inside wheel when cornering), one of the gears slows down, and the differential gears that were stationary begin to spin, causing the opposite wheel to spin faster.

The problem with differential animations is that they tend to show the differential gears spinning all the time--they don't. They only spin when there's a difference in the rate of rotation between the two wheels.