May 21st.....end of the world?

http://www.npr.org/2011/05/07/136053462/is-the-end-nigh-well-know-soon-enough

"Knowing the date of the end of the world changes all your future plans," says 27-year-old Adrienne Martinez.

She thought she'd go to medical school, until she began tuning in to Family Radio. She and her husband, Joel, lived and worked in New York City. But a year ago, they decided they wanted to spend their remaining time on Earth with their infant daughter.

"My mentality was, why are we going to work for more money? It just seemed kind of greedy to me. And unnecessary," she says.

And so, her husband adds, "God just made it possible — he opened doors. He allowed us to quit our jobs, and we just moved, and here we are."

Now they are in Orlando, in a rented house, passing out tracts and reading the Bible. Their daughter is 2 years old, and their second child is due in June. Joel says they're spending the last of their savings. They don't see a need for one more dollar.

"You know, you think about retirement and stuff like that," he says. "What's the point of having some money just sitting there?"

"We budgeted everything so that, on May 21, we won't have anything left," Adrienne adds.

Nothing, except for the fervent hope that all of them will be raptured.

Sounds like some excellent planning there! LOL

These people are placing their faith in other human beings. They are placing their lives in jeopardy for that misplacement.

The shame of it is there are children involved.

+1

Harold Camping, the guy leading this fraud, is the same man who was certain the world was going to end in 1994. When he was wrong last time, he just started recalculating.On May 22 Camping and his duped followers will just come up with a new reason they were wrong this time. It won't deter them because they want to believe they have knowledge the rest of us don't.

I feel sorry for the children of the people who have been conned by this nonsense.

I remember being at my friend Wayne's house, on some afternoon in 1969, when the world was supposed to end. It was around the time that Donovan came out with the song "Atlantis". There was supposed to be a huge earthquake that was going to sink California. They were very specific about the time, so we were there watching the clock on the appointed afternoon. Any geezers out there remember this one?

Ok, just found this on the internets on this site: Link

Famous American clairvoyant Edgar Cayce** predicted that California would break off and sink into the ocean September 27, 1969 and that a pole shift was just around the corner. As of this moment California is still here, and the poles haven’t shifted as yet, but that’s not to say that heavy-duty earth changes and related phenomena aren’t right around the corner.

Cayce did say that as we got closer to these catastrophic changes, that most of mankind would simply block out the internal warning signals by turning up the volume of the radio, TV and related external distractions, anything to keep from hearing our own inner spiritual signals transmitting truth.

That would have been the day I was remembering. Regarding that last sentence there, anybody besides me had a vague feeling of foreboding for the last several months? Even my son (who is no longer living with us) ... I was talking to him a few weeks ago and out of the blue (meaning not prompted by my moroseness) he says "I wish I still had my truck (4WD). And I'm thinking maybe I should get a gun....... you know, for when the Zombie Apocalypse comes." These are not the types of thoughts we had about the future when I was his age.......

Edited by retro-man

Ok, just found this on the internets on this site: Link

That would have been the day I was remembering. Regarding that last sentence there, anybody besides me had a vague feeling of foreboding for the last several months? Even my son (who is no longer living with us) ... I was talking to him a few weeks ago and out of the blue (meaning not prompted by my moroseness) he says "I wish I still had my truck (4WD). And I'm thinking maybe I should get a gun....... you know, for when the Zombie Apocalypse comes." These are not the types of thoughts we had about the future when I was his age.......

It's that damned rock and roll music these kids are listening to!!

+1

Harold Camping, the guy leading this fraud, is the same man who was certain the world was going to end in 1994. When he was wrong last time, he just started recalculating.On May 22 Camping and his duped followers will just come up with a new reason they were wrong this time. It won't deter them because they want to believe they have knowledge the rest of us don't.

I feel sorry for the children of the people who have been conned by this nonsense.

Not to derail the subject, but you could replace "Harold Camping" with "Environmentalists" and the post would still work. Instead of end of the world, it's the climate. From Global Cooling, to Global Warming, and now on to Climate Change. Interesting how at the end of the day, the nut bars are all the same. Not to mention those who blindly follow

Just my 2 cents

• Like 1

Not to derail the subject, but you could replace "Harold Camping" with "Environmentalists" and the post would still work. Instead of end of the world, it's the climate. From Global Cooling, to Global Warming, and now on to Climate Change. Interesting how at the end of the day, the nut bars are all the same. Not to mention those who blindly follow

Just my 2 cents

I don't know many environmentalists who are religious nuts. Most environmentalists have some understanding of science.

Along the same lines, there's a cottage industry developing for what is called a SHTF scenario. SHTF is an acronym for a popular expression, but in this case (I think) it refers to civil unrest and possible anarchy as a result any number of potential causes, such as U.S. sovereign debt default, terrorist attacks, alien attacks, EMP attack, natural calamity, revolution, and so forth. . . .

Aside from the expected discussions of the stockpiling of guns, ammo, liquor, seeds, tools, water purification apparatus, what people might like to barter, etc., there's a debate as to whether to "bug out" or "bug in." "Bug out" means to head for the hills, and somehow survive (for how long, no one says) in a way as depicted in the movie Red Dawn. "Bug in" refers to the opposite approach: Hunker down. Maybe gather up with like-minded neighbors, take inventory of everyone's skills, weapons, equipment, supplies, etc.

In either case, it's assumed that money would be worthless, that there would be no gasoline and no electricity. This would mean the end of convenience stores, and therefore the end of civilization as we know it: No more cold beer. No more liquor, ammo, and snacks. No more Lotto.

Not that I play the Lotto, but I guess it would be OK with me if the aliens just spray the place or a giant asteroid hits, rather than to have to resort to bartering, say, 20 rounds of 7.62 X 51 NATO for six rolls of Charmin Ultra Soft. That would be too much to bear.

"20 rounds of 7.62 X 51 NATO for six rolls of Charmin Ultra Soft" :confused: All I need is one 7.62 (or 5.56 now) and I can take ALL your Charmin ultra soft! :hysterical:

Things you will miss in order of importance;

1) porcelin shitter

2) warm shower

3) Being dry or having a place to dry clothes

Food you will find/scrounge etc. Water, same thing. Fire/firewood you can find that. After about 23 of my 26 years in the army in field units, it's not the "satellite tv" or "50mpg car" you will miss when your out living in the field or "off the grid" it's a porcelin shitter! Trust me, a thunderbox gets old REAL quick. Burning shit barrels or having to take a snowbath sucks. Yes you have to do both for sanitary reasons...but it still sucks. And after 5 weeks in continuous rain/mud/cold.....you REALLY appreciate anywhere you can clean/dry your shit out.

Charmin? Are you serious? Depending on what your diet consists of, you'll have the squirts and will be using old rags or anything you can get your hands on. TP will be a luxury you won't be able to find in the scenario your talking about.

I'll be fine, I'll be the one trading whisky for whatever I want! LOL!

• Like 1

I don't know many environmentalists who are religious nuts. Most environmentalists have some understanding of science.

Oh Ralph, what to do with you?

Please, step back and look at that again.

The point is, people can put blind faith into something, without actually thinking things through. Or better yet, without thinking for themselves. It is my belief that environmentalists are no different than religious nuts.

Harold Camping thought the world was going to end in 1994. When it didn't, he made up some flimsy excuse as to why, then came out and said it would happen in 2011. When he is proven wrong again, another excuse will be forth coming, and another doomsday date will be issued. This is no different than environmentalists who screamed at everyone they could about Global Cooling. When the planet didn't die, they made some pathetic excuse, then started in on Global Warming. When those claims didn't hold up, they changed it to Climate Change.

Environmentalists in my area told everyone last year, that the forth coming winter was going to be mild. Global Warming after all, has increased the planet's temperature so much, that winters as we know it would no longer exist. Well, winter came, and to say those people were wrong would be an understatement. We were hit with winter storm after winter storm. It felt like every other day we had significant snow fall. And the snow stayed the whole winter, never once was there a couple days of warm weather to melt it away. When faced with this fact, the same Environmentalists who said it would be a mild winter, changed their tune and said that Global Warming can cause extreme cold conditions as well. Basically, these people have covered all their bases. If it's hot, it's because of Global Warming. If it's cold, it's because of Global Warming. No rain, Global Warming. Lots of rain, Global warming,

The problem with Science is that it is ever changing. Scientists once thought the Atom was the smallest molecule on the planet. Then one day someone split it, and discovered something smaller. Results from a test can change dramatically depending on the parameters used. Conclusions from those tests can also differ, depending on the experience and knowledge of the person viewing the results. As much as some people try to push it, science is not always an absolute. Right now Science say's there is no cure for AIDS. A year from now a cure could be discovered.

Edited by Cocheese
  • Like 1