LAPD Police Vehicle Testing Results

maybe i'm missing something here? the PI, caprice, charger all handle well enough for standard police work. for a high speed pursuit it could be different. BUT aren't most agencies moving towards a no pursuit mentality? the possible costs to life, and money, out weigh the advantages since they can pick the perp up down the road.

imo it will be the charger vs PI. the caprice is going to cost more to buy, unless gm is seriously subsidizing, and more to maintain since the parts are sourced from Australia.

If you said that the bulk of PD sales will be V6s, then that puts you right in the ball park for

vehicle selection and price:

- V6 Chargers going out the door for $18,000 tells you Dodge's plans

- V6 AWD as standard PI, Ford thinks by doing this it will retain a lot of existing Panther buyers

- GM offering V6 and V8 Caprice think they can out-Panther the new Ford PI replacement.

I think the real battle will be PI Sedan /PI Ute Vs the rest in large car pool sales,

having two vehicles with near identical handling/performance styles and so many

common parts makes it a shoe in as a motor pool favorite.

Edited by jpd80

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not certain if it was in the thread, but I read that Ford was including the extended powertrain warranty (5/50k). I hope all "decision makers" take that into account !

A thread in the Panther forum said the powertrain warranty will be 5/100K.

Neither the Caprice or Ford PI/UIs are available for purchase or preorder correct?

Not true, I saw the binder with the PI in it a month or two ago. I'll see if I can grab it from the fleet manager and post the spec's, order number ect. Don't remember seeing the explorer cause I wasn't looking for it.

Not true, I saw the binder with the PI in it a month or two ago. I'll see if I can grab it from the fleet manager and post the spec's, order number ect. Don't remember seeing the explorer cause I wasn't looking for it.

First delivery of Caprice PPVs was last month but most were detective versions. Holden is focusing on

small Police department sales as the larger precincts have not placed any orders yet, I suspect the

larger PDs are adopting a watch and see position - prudent with any new and out of town product.

Edited by jpd80

First delivery of Caprice PPVs was last month but most were detective versions. Holden is focusing on

small Police department sales as the larger precincts have not placed any orders yet, I suspect the

larger PDs are adopting a watch and see position - prudent with any new and out of town product.

Waiting might have as much to do with their own fiscal situation as with the product. Many large cities still have depressed revenue from the economy and the measures taken by their legislatures.

Why? From what I understand they are the largest law enforcement agency in the country.

Think what he ment was the Taurus still loss to the Caprice (it was neck-and -neck with Chevy, the Charger too which was close 3rd ) eventhough Ford worked with the LASD to see what they needed.

Im a bit of related Zeta news, the latest word is any Zeta sedan U.S. versions will be the LWB model only. The mysterious Zeta Chevy "SS" is still a go for U.S. retail sale in a year or so and that there's a reson the Impala is moving to the Detroit factory in 14' freeing up space at the Camaro factory but im not Holden my breath for any of it.....

btw, NYPD is the largest force in the nation, just LASD is the largest Sheriff department.

Edited by Fgts