Camaro, Challenger, Shelby: Old vs New Cars

And the extra ten pounds is probably the extra cash in the trunk needed to buy the new one over the inflation adjusted old one.

Say what you want about the price. The GT500 is still an absolute steal. To compare the prices of older cars to newer ones (even with prices adjusted for inflation) isn't exactly a valid comparison. Did the '69 GT500 have airbags, stability control, ABS, a good stereo, etc? Throw all that in and the price difference disappears.

Great continuity between old & new cars love them both.

Shitty ole boring dull Mundaneo gets force fed rammed down down your throat by FOE is about as good as it gets in the UK. If you don't like the meal you go without at Ford UK, no wonder quality low volume producers BMW 3 Series has made the UK Top 10 best sellers chart every month & the mass produced Mundane has not in 2011 .

33,000-55,000 UK Cortina sales every August to 1,000 Mondeo UK sales every August very little continuity at all...

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

Great continuity between old & new cars love them both.

Shitty ole boring dull Mundaneo gets force fed rammed down down your throat by FOE is about as good as it gets in the UK. If you don't like the meal you go without at Ford UK, no wonder quality low volume producers BMW 3 Series has made the UK Top 10 best sellers chart every month & the mass produced Mundane has not in 2011 .

33,000-55,000 UK Cortina sales every August to 1,000 Mondeo UK sales every August very little continuity at all...

Would you go take a hiatus again? Nobody missed this off-topic banter from you.

Would you go take a hiatus again? Nobody missed this off-topic banter from you.

Hi Nick, gotta say l like the continuity of your US muscle cars both old & new appeal in equal measures, but no doubt the muscle cars of 2011 will be rated absolute shit by future generations. No doubt your grandchildren will laugh at their grandpops Nick old photo's of a 2010 Ford Edge one day in the future with a steering wheel in it., when cars of the future will drive themselves, all you will have to do is tell the car where you want to go.

Gotta say l show a lotta respect for both old & new cars, but have very little respect for cars that let Ford down sales-wise.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

Say what you want about the price. The GT500 is still an absolute steal. To compare the prices of older cars to newer ones (even with prices adjusted for inflation) isn't exactly a valid comparison. Did the '69 GT500 have airbags, stability control, ABS, a good stereo, etc? Throw all that in and the price difference disappears.

I would rather buy a normal GT with all that stuff and save a boat load of cash. Spending an extra $20,000 cash to go .000001 of a CH faster than a GT and Carrol Shelby's autograph on the dashboard is insane.

I would rather buy a normal GT with all that stuff and save a boat load of cash. Spending an extra $20,000 cash to go .000001 of a CH faster than a GT and Carrol Shelby's autograph on the dashboard is insane.

Sounds like someone who has never driven a Mustang GT or GT500. There's simply no comparison between the two. Plus the GT500 is just a gold mine of unrealized power waiting to be unleashed with the simplest of mods. The GT is good, don't get me wrong, but the GT500 is better. Far better.

• Like 1

Sounds like someone who has never driven a Mustang GT or GT500. There's simply no comparison between the two. Plus the GT500 is just a gold mine of unrealized power waiting to be unleashed with the simplest of mods. The GT is good, don't get me wrong, but the GT500 is better. Far better.

I have never driven the GT500. I'm sure I'd enjoy it, but I can't imagine it being good enough to plunk down the kind of cash it would take to buy it. There are just so many other important things in life to pay for... Like my television pilots. (shameless plug)

I have never driven the GT500. I'm sure I'd enjoy it, but I can't imagine it being good enough to plunk down the kind of cash it would take to buy it. There are just so many other important things in life to pay for... Like my television pilots. (shameless plug)

Then shouldn't you be driving a 1969 VW Bug? There are more important things in life to pay for than a nicer car than a VW Bug.

PS: Forgive me if you DO drive a '69 VW Bug...

Then shouldn't you be driving a 1969 VW Bug? There are more important things in life to pay for than a nicer car than a VW Bug.

PS: Forgive me if you DO drive a '69 VW Bug...

That's me with my Mustang in the picture to the left. I am a Mustang fan. My point is that I wouldn't pay that much money for a Mustang no matter what they do to it to make it go faster. To me the major draw for a Mustang is how much fun it is for a small entry fee. Paying BMW money for a Mustang kind changes that. Especially if the GT seems to do 90% of what the Shelby does for a lot less money. I don't want a Mustang that costs as much as a BMW, I don't want a BMW, Corvette, Nissan z, or whatever is in that price range I wanted my Mustang and that is what I bought.

That's me with my Mustang in the picture to the left. I am a Mustang fan. My point is that I wouldn't pay that much money for a Mustang no matter what they do to it to make it go faster. To me the major draw for a Mustang is how much fun it is for a small entry fee. Paying BMW money for a Mustang kind changes that. Especially if the GT seems to do 90% of what the Shelby does for a lot less money. I don't want a Mustang that costs as much as a BMW, I don't want a BMW, Corvette, Nissan z, or whatever is in that price range I wanted my Mustang and that is what I bought.

And then there are those of us who will (I've sank around $50K into my Cobra including the price of the car)...

There are a lot of people out there like me too. Should see some of the wicked Cobras and GT500's in the club I belong to.

In a way, I do agree with you. Most folks don't have the extra coin for the GT 500. I would love to have a Mustang GT, and would love a GT 500 even more if I had the money, and I would buy one if I had the extra money. If nothing else, just for the exclusivity that comes with it, as I would keep it forever. I would never race it, so the extra power would never get used, but having it would be cool! Plus, I prefer the looks of the GT 500.

Right now, a Stang is out of the question as I have 3 small kids that I haul around daily, but hopefully I will have one some day in the future. Most likely, it will be a GT, for many of the reasons you mentioned.

Yesterday I met a white/blue stripes gt-500 with black rims and the paint almost looked flat white. HOLY CRAP I LOVED THE LOOK!

Had a racecar look to it instead of the "shiney fast car that always gets idled around" look. Just a quick glance as we passed but he was accelerating and I had the windows open on the truck. SOUNDED SWEET! Nice growl/bark.

Anyway, love the new stuff but LOVE the old more.

If Ford builds a 2013 Boss 302 in Grabber Blue with black 1970 style stripes I will have one in my stable. It will be a nice companion for my 1970 Mach 1 (428 CJ, 4-speed) in Grabber Blue with black hood stripes. Old vs new doesn't really matter to me. Cool is cool.

If Ford builds a 2013 Boss 302 in Grabber Blue with black 1970 style stripes I will have one in my stable. It will be a nice companion for my 1970 Mach 1 (428 CJ, 4-speed) in Grabber Blue with black hood stripes. Old vs new doesn't really matter to me. Cool is cool.

I have both old Mustangs (two 1969s) and new GT500s too. The new GT500s are a blast to drive and dollar for dollar in comparison to what's out there, they pack a punch!

I love my 428 SCJ Mach1, but the new GT500s horsepower is right on when you need it, sounds awesome and is silky smooth. It's hard to define a 500 HP engine as silky smooth, but that's what it is. There are a lot of people who purchase a GT500 and then have it SuperSnaked for an extra $35K. Is there a demand for this? Call Shelby to get on the list for one and then get in line and wait.