Ford Increases Production to Meet Strong Demand For All-New C-MAX

Ford Increases Production to Meet Strong Demand For All-New C-MAX

• Sales and orders in Europe for the all-new Ford C-MAX top 100,000 since launch late last year – including approximately 70,000 sales and 30,000 orders through May
  • This year through May, sales of the Ford C-MAX have doubled over the same period a year ago. Fastest sales pace for the Ford C-MAX since 2006
  • Sixty-five per cent of customers opting for high series models
  • Production increased at Ford’s plant in Valencia, Spain, to meet Ford C-MAX customer demand

COLOGNE, Germany, June 9, 2011 – Ford’s all-new Ford C-MAX is surpassing sales expectations recording more than 100,000 sales and orders since its launch late last year.

This year through May, sales of the Ford C-MAX have doubled over the same period a year ago. The first five months of the year also saw the fastest pace of C-MAX sales since 2006.

To meet demand for the five-seat C-MAX and seven-seat Grand C-MAX, Ford has increased the line speed at its plant in Valencia, Spain. The result has been an almost 18 per cent increase in daily C-MAX production at the plant.

“We expected a strong customer demand for the Ford C-MAX and Ford Grand C-MAX, but demand has exceeded our expectations,” said Roelant de Waard, vice president, Marketing, Sales and Service, Ford of Europe. “Sales of the all-new Ford C-MAX will contribute to our expectation that around 40 per cent of all the new vehicles we sell in Europe this year will be totally new or significantly freshened models.”

A high percentage of customers are choosing well-equipped versions of the Ford C-MAX. In fact, 65 percent of Ford C-MAX sales have been high-series trim levels, such as the Ford C-MAX Titanium models, compared to 32 percent over the same period a year ago.

The Ford C-MAX is the leader in is market segment in Italy (27 per cent share) and in Ireland (23 per cent share), and almost all of Ford's traditional 19 European markets have seen the Ford C-MAX double their segment sales share versus 2010.

Ford market research shows that Ford C-MAX customers in Europe have said the vehicle’s design, technology and driving characteristics have attracted them to the vehicle. The Ford Grand C-MAX’s sliding rear doors also are proving to be a popular feature with customers.

“The early success of the Ford C-MAX proves that when you deliver new products with best-in-class features and attributes, customers will respond quickly,” said de Waard. “This gives us great confidence going forward as Ford of Europe prepares to launch 20 all-new or significantly refreshed vehicles over the next three years.”

I think ford may be regretting making Spain the sole source for C-maxes in europe. adding C-max5 production to the german plant, wold have been a good way to free up Valencia to make more C-max7s for export to a certain country in the western hemisphere.

I think ford may be regretting making Spain the sole source for C-maxes in europe. adding C-max5 production to the german plant, wold have been a good way to free up Valencia to make more C-max7s for export to a certain country in the western hemisphere.

The German plant needs to build Focuses. Its the only plant there to build it.

off topic

...A high percentage of customers are choosing well-equipped versions of the Ford C-MAX. In fact, 65 percent of Ford C-MAX sales have been high-series trim levels, such as the Ford C-MAX Titanium models, compared to 32 percent over the same period a year ago...

wonder if "double" is a reasonable rule of thumb for high-end take-rate with a new model vs the old one

I knew there was some other reason...

the north American press release makes them sound foolish, they gloss over the fact the the gas powered one has much greater capability.

it was horible spin control on ford's part.

Edited by Biker16

the north American press release makes them sound foolish, they gloss over the fact the the gas powered one has much greater capability.

it was horible spin control on ford's part.

I agree generally to what you are saying. if that is the real reason C-Max is not coming, say so. I also feel Ford is really plugging (pun unintended) the hybrids and electric choices because the infrastructure is getting started and they really have to sell them to the public.

You say the gas powered is more capable, I agree generally that gas-powered is still overall more capable then the hybrid/electric units. However, I feel the Ford options have the potential to be capable and will have a place in the market.

I agree generally to what you are saying. if that is the real reason C-Max is not coming, say so. I also feel Ford is really plugging (pun unintended) the hybrids and electric choices because the infrastructure is getting started and they really have to sell them to the public.

You say the gas powered is more capable, I agree generally that gas-powered is still overall more capable then the hybrid/electric units. However, I feel the Ford options have the potential to be capable and will have a place in the market.

what i find intriguing, is wonder what the powertrain will be?.......1.6eco with hybrid maybe?......stretching......3 cyl eco with hybrid?....after all the 1.6eco was SUPPOSED to make its debut in the Grand C-Max......

Edited by Deanh

what i find intriguing, is wonder what the powertrain will be?.......1.6eco with hybrid maybe?......stretching......3 cyl eco with hybrid?....after all the 1.6eco was SUPPOSED to make its debut in the Grand C-Max......

Good question. Currently it's the Duratec 25 Hybrid in the Escape and the CD3 triplets twins. I don't think that's happening here. The 1.6 EB makes sense here but not a peep. Fingers-crossed.

What about the 2.0 DI (Atkinson) and Hybrid?

The engine is already available and far more efficient than the 2.5 currently used...

I'm thinking a 2.0 DI/Hybrid power pack could be used across a wide variety of vehicles like

C-Max, Escape, Focus, Fusion, Edge while offering V6 performance and diesel fuel economy.

Edited by jpd80

What about the 2.0 DI (Atkinson) and Hybrid?

The engine is already available and far more efficient than the 2.5 currently used...

I'm thinking a 2.0 DI/Hybrid power pack could be used across a wide variety of vehicles like

C-Max, Escape, Focus, Fusion, Edge while offering V6 performance and diesel fuel economy.

then again the 1.6 eco is supposedly more economical than the 2.0....so who knows......

then again the 1.6 eco is supposedly more economical than the 2.0....so who knows......

Yes the 1.6 EB is more economical than the 2.0 DI on Urban / city cycle but is that needed in a hybrid?

Thinking in extreme examples:

Cruze with 1.4 DI Turbo vs Focus 2.0 DI - fairly similar economy

and then,

Volt 1.4 DI Turbo vs PIH Focus 2.0 DI - would that achieve 99% of Volt at a fraction of the cost?

Edited by jpd80

Yes the 1.6 EB is more economical than the 2.0 DI on Urban / city cycle but is that needed in a hybrid?

well, of course this is ll speculation BECAUSE WE HAVENT SEEN THE ENGINE YET...FORD, FORD?????? talk about annoying....but I guess the 2.0 eco is everywhere already............oh wait.......... :banghead:

well, of course this is ll speculation BECAUSE WE HAVENT SEEN THE ENGINE YET...FORD, FORD?????? talk about annoying....but I guess the 2.0 eco is everywhere already............oh wait.......... :banghead:

But the 2.0 DI is already in the new Focus......

maybe switching out the 2.5 in the hybrid for a 2.0 DI is easier for them to do..

Edited by jpd80

But the 2.0 DI is already in the new Focus......

maybe switching out the 2.5 in the hybrid for a 2.0 DI is easier for them to do..

eems like the easiest answer for sure....I guess a part of me wants to seSEE AN ECO ENGINE OTHER THAN THE 3.5.... :angry2: the fact the 2.0 hasnt reared its head yet actually has me worried...issues?.....

1.6l EB would, IMO, make an excellent choice.

But it's adding cost on top of cost, so I'm not betting on it. 2.0l should work.

The new hybrids are a big engineering challenge for Ford. New transmission, new batteries, new plug-in. A lot of work. I'm thinking that adding the workload to get a 1.6l into production with that system is a bridge too far, but could potentially be pulled out of the hat at a later date if required for CAFE.

Let's not forget that all the 4 cylinder EB's appear to be running late (did Ford Europe underestimate the difficulty of certifying for U.S.??? They have in the past.)

My guess is that first application of the 1.6l EB would be the Escape.

eems like the easiest answer for sure....I guess a part of me wants to seSEE AN ECO ENGINE OTHER THAN THE 3.5.... :angry2: the fact the 2.0 hasnt reared its head yet actually has me worried...issues?.....

I think the uptake of 2.0 Ecoboost has been stronger in Europe than Ford anticipated,

Ecoboost Mondeo is set to arrive in Australia this month or next month, replacing 2.3 I-4

in all but base model, price increase compared to outgoing 2.3 is AUS$1,500 which

seems very reasonable and a lot cheaper than the 2.0 TDCI.

1.6l EB would, IMO, make an excellent choice.

But it's adding cost on top of cost, so I'm not betting on it. 2.0l should work.

The new hybrids are a big engineering challenge for Ford. New transmission, new batteries, new plug-in. A lot of work. I'm thinking that adding the workload to get a 1.6l into production with that system is a bridge too far, but could potentially be pulled out of the hat at a later date if required for CAFE.

Let's not forget that all the 4 cylinder EB's appear to be running late (did Ford Europe underestimate the difficulty of certifying for U.S.??? They have in the past.)

My guess is that first application of the 1.6l EB would be the Escape.

correct me if Im wrong Austin...but i heard the trans, Batteries and basically EVERYTHING is being developed in house....yes?

correct me if Im wrong Austin...but i heard the trans, Batteries and basically EVERYTHING is being developed in house....yes?

Ford has said that the new transmission which is going to be built in Ford's Van Dyke plant, is a Ford design. Whether Ford had any technical tie-up at all with Aisin, the former, supplier is TBD, but the announcement would seem to indicate "no". Neverthesless, Aisin -- even though it is a Toyota affiliated company -- has had good relations with Ford on a number of transmissions and they do have a number of patents on their hybrid CVT. I'm not close enough to know the facts.

The battery packs are going to be assembled in Ford's Rawsonville plant.

But, there are certainly other major bits that are coming from the outside. In particular, the cells for the batteries. Compact Power (LG Chem's U.S. arm) is supplying the cells for the BEV Focus, but I'm not sure if Ford has announced who has the business for the C-Max Hybrid and Energi. In any case, if it's Compact Power, the initial cells likely will be coming from Korea until the Holland, Michigan plant is up and running. So Ford is not into basic cell chemistry or manufacture. Also, Ford will not be making the electric motors that are internal to the transmission (GM is getting into this business, and Nissan makes their motors in a JV in Japan. Ford might have to consider at a later date as volumes rise).

Ford also is doing all of the control software work.

Still, it's a major engineering effort, and there has to be a lot of fine tuning and durability work done at the same time.

Ford has said that the new transmission which is going to be built in Ford's Van Dyke plant, is a Ford design. Whether Ford had any technical tie-up at all with Aisin, the former, supplier is TBD, but the announcement would seem to indicate "no". Neverthesless, Aisin -- even though it is a Toyota affiliated company -- has had good relations with Ford on a number of transmissions and they do have a number of patents on their hybrid CVT. I'm not close enough to know the facts.

The battery packs are going to be assembled in Ford's Rawsonville plant.

But, there are certainly other major bits that are coming from the outside. In particular, the cells for the batteries. Compact Power (LG Chem's U.S. arm) is supplying the cells for the BEV Focus, but I'm not sure if Ford has announced who has the business for the C-Max Hybrid and Energi. In any case, if it's Compact Power, the initial cells likely will be coming from Korea until the Holland, Michigan plant is up and running. So Ford is not into basic cell chemistry or manufacture. Also, Ford will not be making the electric motors that are internal to the transmission (GM is getting into this business, and Nissan makes their motors in a JV in Japan. Ford might have to consider at a later date as volumes rise).

Ford also is doing all of the control software work.

Still, it's a major engineering effort, and there has to be a lot of fine tuning and durability work done at the same time.

Will the experimental liquid for batteries been trialled at MIT(?) have any effect in the future? I can't find the link right now, I just read it 2 days or so ago.