Cars.com Under 20/Over 35 Shootout

The Focus came in last? What a crock! I can't believe people are that stupid that they can't figure out Sync or My Ford Touch. I was in my mothers Edge for less than five minutes before I had it figured out enough to do what I wanted it to. Even with how buggy the system supposedly is I thought it worked just fine.

• Like 1

The people at Cars.com are completely clueless!!! If you go on to the Family sedan review they rate the Fusion #8 out of 8. I really do not feel that their is a better car on the road with the quality and value of the Ford Focus, until you get to the Audi A3 or Lexus IS.

• Like 1

I've decided that car reviews are pretty pointless these days. Sales are the only true indicator. Always will be. Consumers are not fully rational when buying a car, and car reviewers are fairly biased. So what's the point in listening to the drivel? It's obvious most consumers don't really care.

The people at Cars.com are completely clueless!!! If you go on to the Family sedan review they rate the Fusion #8 out of 8. I really do not feel that their is a better car on the road with the quality and value of the Ford Focus, until you get to the Audi A3 or Lexus IS.

Oh, but they used POINTS! That makes it SCIENTIFIC! And the Focus got the fewest POINTS, so it MUST be true.

They use ONE clueless family, who most recently bought a Nissan and a Toyota!? There's a built in bias." Longtime Japanese-car customers, the Udells were less enthused overall with our two American models,"

The team was specific in its critiques of the domestic entries, calling them out for having a single power-lock switch on the dashboard instead of on each front-door armrest. They noted there's no indication on the Ford Focus' doors that they're locked;

So it's not like a Asian car! But it is typical of European cars. The switch is clearly marked, what's the problem?

The experts' opinions make up 40 percent of the final score; the Udell family, 20 percent;........... the overall value score assigned by both experts and the family is worth the final 10 percent

Stupid and redundant.

Edited by timmm55

Couple things I picked out of this...

Seems like the only thing the Elentra had going for it is its styling and that's what won the day for it.

The MP3 competition is a crock...they only used an iPod..which is fine, but also sucks if you have a system that doesn't use an iPod interface with it. At least with the Ford's Sync system you can use different cell phones, MP3 players or even a USB stick with MP3's on it to play music. I've used the Sync system and its handling of MP3's is fine IMO.

I cracked up at the comments about the Civic's interior...

But it is typical of European cars. The switch is clearly marked, what's the problem?

Indeed, the two "domestic" cars in this test are European in design and/or engineering. And there's no problem at all with the location of the power lock switch in those vehicles; I think it's the ideal position for a central locking control. Some other members of BON forums don't like it, though. :ohsnap:

Indeed, the two "domestic" cars in this test are European in design and/or engineering. And there's no problem at all with the location of the power lock switch in those vehicles; I think it's the ideal position for a central locking control. Some other members of BON forums don't like it, though. :ohsnap:

I am one of those BON members that dislike this setup.

• Like 1

Couple things I picked out of this...

I cracked up at the comments about the Civic's interior...

The 2012 Honda Civic tested the Udells' love for the Elantra: "This is just as cool as the Hyundai exterior," Alec said. "They've come a long way with this for being under $20,000." The team raved about the seat comfort, front and rear, as well as the sightlines and openness. Of the glowing tiered instrument panel, Alec said, "This is cool. I've never seen something like this." Mom agreed. "I thought it would be distracting, but it's good," she said. "The dash is great: open, airy, easy and intuitive."

Really? Where have you been the last decade or so? LOL

Also notice that James Healey was one of the assassins judges, he who had one of the only negative reviews of the Focus. So now we have TWO inept reviews stemming from the same guy, Does this guy have an axe to grind?

Edited by timmm55

Given the choice, yes, I would go that route also, but I don't think it would be anything close to a deal breaker for me.

People are retarded, hell I had an ex who wouldn't buy a car unless the fuel filler was on the drivers side...and that was in state where you didn't have to pump your own gas! LOL

Given the choice, yes, I would go that route also, but I don't think it would be anything close to a deal breaker for me.

kinda nice to see a button UP when the door is unlocked...drives me a tad batty in the fiestas....not a fan of the push to start or the touch the door to open either....my one question is "why"....especially the door which can be quirky....

I absolutely love both of those features on my Edge (I assume you mean the one-touch lock/unlock on the exterior handle).

yup....its cool, but can get quirky....and really, is it that inconvienient to insert key and turn?....but hey, it is what it is......

yup....its cool, but can get quirky....and really, is it that inconvienient to insert key and turn?....but hey, it is what it is......

Quirky how? I've never had any issues with it. And yes, it is more inconvenient than not having to take my keys out at all (especially in winter when wearing a coat and gloves). My only wish now is that the front door to my house had the same feature!!

Edited by NickF1011
  • Like 1

Quirky how? I've never had any issues with it. And yes, it is more inconvenient than not having to take my keys out at all (especially in winter when wearing a coat and gloves). My only wish now is that the front door to my house had the same feature!!

what pray are coats and gloves....../ ( but point and benefit noted )......anyways, I find myself hitting the button and passengers side doesnt open, so I hit it again and it locks....sometimes all the doors unlock, sometimes they dont....quirky.... :confused:

Edited by Deanh

I am one of those BON members that dislike this setup.

Me too.

Do you dislike it or are you just not used to it? There's a difference.

Speaking from experience after driving my moms BMW for many months at a time years ago - maybe its just because I've always been around cars with the lock/unlock buttons on the doors, but I just never liked having the button in the center.

Do you dislike it or are you just not used to it? There's a difference.

Dislike it. Not sure if it'd be a deal break, since I've never went shopping for a vehicle that had this feature. But I've rode in plenty of imports that have this setup and not only is it inconvenient in my mind, I truly dislike the setup.

and really, is it that inconvienient to insert key and turn?....but hey, it is what it is......

I feel the same way brother.

I'm so confused. First the critics loved the Explrorer, now t hey hate it. First they loved the Focus, now they hate it. I don't pay attention anymore.

I have to agree however that the Focus is too cramped. I was in a Focus and Fiesta last week, and the Fiesta felt more spacious, the new Focus feels more cramped than the old one. I was shopping with my sister who has 2007 Focus. She quickly realized the new one looses height, visibility, and space; facts that sunk in pretty quickly and diffused her interest. The other problem observed in this review is the lack of a descent appearance package on the SE, unlike all her previous Focuses (and the competition). Unfortunately she went off and bought the new Elantra instead, her first non-Ford (she was heading that way in the first place, her 2007 Focus was a POS).

Edited by BORG

But I've rode in plenty of imports that have this setup and not only is it inconvenient in my mind, I truly dislike the setup.

I can understand disliking it, but how the heck can it be inconvenient? It's still one button regardless and the one on the Focus is actually easier to find than the smaller one on the door in my Fusion.