My comparison: Midsize/large crossovers

Ive been doing just about everything thru MFT without really needing to use the dash bottons. Yet when I get into my LS I forget and start talking to it wondering why it's not responding to certain functions. Sync/MFT IS about giving you choices, you can use one, or the other, or both, and anything in between, I'm not understanding why some people have a hard time with it...I mean, use it for more than an hour, maybe a week and it becomes 2nd nature.

and theres the crux of the matter, magazine writers dont have that timetable...witness Brady here....

Silly Ford - designing cars for customers and not journalists! Time to whack an eight-track back in...

and theres the crux of the matter, magazine writers dont have that timetable...witness Brady here....

Silly Ford - designing cars for customers and not journalists! Time to whack an eight-track back in...

Note that people test driving a car usually have even less time then Brady. First impressions sell the car, not impressions a week after they bought it.

I'd still buy a car with MFT. But I can see how some technically challenged people may be put off during a test drive/demo. What we consider second nature are often completely foreign to some people.

When automakers are responsible for providing their own specifications that are nearly impossible to duplicate, you just have to trust that they're all using the same procedures to maximize the figure they can report.

Right, that's what I said

That's what you said?

Because that's not what I got out of it the first or second times I read that. On the third try I kind of got it, but not really.

And the procedure is pretty straightforward. You get boxes of a certain dimension. You put them in the cargo compartment. You remove them. You add them up. You have your cargo volume.

It's so simple most companies do it with CAD before they build a single prototype.

That's what you said?

Because that's not what I got out of it the first or second times I read that. On the third try I kind of got it, but not really.

And the procedure is pretty straightforward. You get boxes of a certain dimension. You put them in the cargo compartment. You remove them. You add them up. You have your cargo volume.

It's so simple most companies do it with CAD before they build a single prototype.

When I said difficult to duplicate, I was responding to a comment that I should try to verify the figure myself with a tape measure.

When I said difficult to duplicate, I was responding to a comment that I should try to verify the figure myself with a tape measure.

That's not exactly clear from your response. A simpler response might have been, "All manufacturers use the same method to determine cargo volume, even though the numbers don't always seem to match what you see."

Second place: Ford Flex

b3195e8482fb15de3ca29e89cd89a934.jpg

Designers of crossovers are typically faced with a fundamental decision: should this vehicle aim to look and feel like a car or a truck? With the Flex, Ford developed a vehicle that feels like an old-fashioned living room and looks like nothing else.

Continued at link:

http://www.examiner.com/cars-in-national/comparison-review-eight-three-row-crossover-suvs-second-place

• Like 1

So the Flex beats the Explorer? 7505 customers last month don't agree with you.

Apparently so. His review was based on his opinion, and his opinion alone, just like every other car review out there! If everyone agreed, there would only be one vehicle for sale it each class...sheesh!

Apparently so. His review was based on his opinion, and his opinion alone, just like every other car review out there! If everyone agreed, there would only be one vehicle for sale it each class...sheesh!

actually FWIW, i prefer the Flex to the Explorer as well, ESPECIALLY with the eco engine and more pinned down suspension.....

• Like 1

actually FWIW, i prefer the Flex to the Explorer as well, ESPECIALLY with the eco engine and more pinned down suspension.....

Were we in the market today, I am pretty sure we would replace our Flex with another one over an Explorer. After MFT is added to the Flex, it's a no brainer. The Flex just fits our needs perfectly!

Were we in the market today, I am pretty sure we would replace our Flex with another one over an Explorer. After MFT is added to the Flex, it's a no brainer. The Flex just fits our needs perfectly!

oooops, double post..

Edited by Deanh

its the ride/ drive, quietness and second row comfort that seal the deal for me...car drives like a dream and just seems to utilize interior space better.....that said I have NO need for third row seats and in both the Explorer and Flex's case I wish there was a short wheelbase version....

its the ride/ drive, quietness and second row comfort that seal the deal for me...car drives like a dream and just seems to utilize interior space better.....that said I have NO need for third row seats and in both the Explorer and Flex's case I wish there was a short wheelbase version....

We have 3 kids in car seats (2 are boosters). The middle row buckets work perfect...the youngest goes in the child seat buckled into one of the buckets, and the kids can walk between the buckets in the middle row through to their boosters in the back.

But yes, it does drive like a dream, and is very luxury-car like inside.

First place:

2010%20mazda%20cx-9%2012.jpg

In some market classes, there's a vehicle that just feels like a winner. Hop in it after driving the competition, and you'll immediately sense where the others were lagging.

Consumers seeking a three-row crossover have no such luck. The vehicle that has pulled itself to the top, Mazda's CX-9, did so not by any particular outstanding trait as much as through an absence of glaring weaknesses. It's not a standout product for what it does particularly well as much as for what it doesn't do wrong...

Continued at link: http://www.examiner.com/cars-in-national/comparison-review-eight-three-row-crossover-suvs-first-place

So the Flex beats the Explorer? 7505 customers last month don't agree with you.

I'd opt for a Flex over the Explorer. The Flex design is hit or miss with certain people, and is most likely the biggest deterrent for most people shopping.

I know my wife is very interested in the Flex, but dislikes the design of the Explorer. She likes the stand out of the crowd look more of the Flex, than the blend in with the other CUV looks that the Explorer provides. Also, we like the ride of the Flex much more. As stated by a previous poster, by Dean I think, the EB in the Flex gives another advantage to the Flex over the Explorer in our eyes. The two of us (wife and I), simply find the Flex as a better DD and liveable vehicle.

Again like others stated, to each your own. This is just two peoples preferences.

Edited by V8-X

7698 customers bought the Camry over the Fusion. Which is the better car?

I waited for the Explorer before buying the Flex, and the Explorer sold me on the Flex.

taste and needs boys, taste and needs....both choices are great cars...