Fairlane will Fly - Also, the F'ing F naming scheme finally F'in gone?

Fairlane will Fly

Ford OKs crossover based on Fairlane concept; vehicle to hit market in '08 (AutoWeek)

One thing that likely won't transfer is the Fairlane name. The production version "almost for sure" won't be called the Fairlane, the Ford insider said. Some auto dealers objected to that label, saying it wasn't a strong name.

Also, since the retirement of Steve Lyons, Ford no longer is wed to the idea that Ford-brand car nameplates must start with the letter "F." Lyons, the former group vice president of North America marketing, sales and service, pushed that practice, the insider said.

Fairlane not a strong name? What?

Anyway, glad to see F finally finished.

Edited by sullynd

I knew the Fairlane name wouldn't survive for exactly those reasons. It's a very insipid and cloey name that doesn't reflect the current attitudes of American car buyers stepping out of their "Explorers" and "Dakotas".

Well, to average car buyers who don't remember the old hot rod Fairlanes, the name is too familiar with Fairmont and also sounds like a "1950's appliance or sit-com". Like it's Ward Cleaver's town or Donna Stone's kitchen decor.

I do agree the F names are getting boooooorring. First, rename Freestlye to 'Five-Hundred Sport Wagon'. Then sales #'s for 500 would double, and analysts will shut up.

Edited by 630land

The Five Hundred should have been the Fairlane (because it is as vanilla as the name, and reminiscent of the 50s Fairlane sedans - roughly the same size, stance, and target market - an excellent fit in my opinion), and the Fusion should have been the Falcon (because it is roughly the same size and function, fills roughly the same place in the lineup, and because "Fusion" is so 1990s - I mean come on, name your car after a razor blade and a vegetable drink? Get a clue Ford marketing. Love the car, hate that name.). The 427 should have taken the place of the CV, and been named "Galaxie".

signed: retro-man

Edited by niteflight

The Five Hundred should have been the Fairlane (because it is as vanilla as the name, and reminiscent of the 50s Fairlane sedans - roughly the same size, stance, and target market - an excellent fit in my opinion), and the Fusion should have been the Falcon (because it is roughly the same size and function, fills roughly the same place in the lineup, and because "Fusion" is so 1990s - I mean come on, name your car after a razor blade and a vegetable drink? Get a clue Ford marketing. Love the car, hate that name.). The 427 should have taken the place of the CV, and been named "Galaxie".

I think the razor and drink came later.

To think, Gillette and V8 Juice is getting some free advertising with the Ford Fusion, while PepBoys wouldn't allow Ford to use the Futura name because they have cheap shitty tires with the same name...Hello? Who really needs who here??

To think, Gillette and V8 Juice is getting some free advertising with the Ford Fusion, while PepBoys wouldn't allow Ford to use the Futura name because they have cheap shitty tires with the same name...Hello? Who really needs who here??

Hmm...I have always been glad that PepBoys threw a fit with the Futura name because in my opinion Fusion is a much better name for the car. Sometimes things like this work out for the best.

The razor and drink did come out after the car did. I remeber that shortly after the car was debueted, there was some controversy over Gilette's 5 blade razor of the same name (maybe a little marketing fusion of their own). I doubt Ford did any better thanks to Gilette's cheese-ball ads.

While I'm 26, I always saw the Fairlane as sort of a old-school sedan. The more I think about it, the more it makes sence to name the 500 the Fairlane. Both were mid-size to large with a fairly tall stance with oodles of trunk space aimed at 40-50 year olds.

I would love to see them import the Aussi Falcon. What could be wrong with a big-block sedan!

thanks to Gilette's cheese-ball ads.

They are pretty bad, aren't they? Nothing like a knock-off of the Dr. Strangelove War Room, with absolutely pointless CGI and an even more pointless "power of fusion" tag line (what? as in "the million degree reaction that fuels the sun is now available in a razor"?), coupled with a boast that this razor comes with an added feature that is made necessary by the unwieldy nature of the 5-blade head (the only razor with a built-in razor).

I guess there are worse commercials out there than car commercials.

Edited by RichardJensen

Um, the Fairlane was at least a little sporty, and offered more than some decent power if memory recalls.....I say the 500 wouldn't do the name justice.

I would much rather see the Fusion called Falcon too. It would be nice to be able to buy a brand new Falcon Sprint that has a 4.4L V8 and a standard shift trans..........

I just hate the name Fusion. It so hip-hop and American Idol-ish. Granted, the people the Fusion was meant to appeal to are most likely girls and metro's that watch American Idol and think hip-hop sounds great, but that ruins it for the rest of us, don't you think?

And I hate Milan even more. Is there a word that could possibly be more metro sounding, outside of Civic?

I did like the name Zephyr, but Ford ran that down the drain.... :doh:

First, rename Freestlye to 'Five-Hundred Sport Wagon'. Then sales #'s for 500 would double, and analysts will shut up.
This post is old, but I can't agree more about this! I was in a Freesyle a while ago and the name did not fit this "short SUV" at all. The Freestyle would fit better with a Mazda C6 derivative than what its attached to.

The current Freestyle is too large, bulky and pedestrian to fit its name, and I believe that may hurt sales a bit. By associating it with the 500, there is a commonality and as a bonus it gets the buyers who want the 500's safety and space.

And, by associating it with the 500, it makes up for the fact more than half the interior is a 500.

Hmm...I have always been glad that PepBoys threw a fit with the Futura name because in my opinion Fusion is a much better name for the car. Sometimes things like this work out for the best.

Exactly. "Futura" makes me think "Fairmont," and that's not a stylish vehicle at all. The Fairmont was a box.

I would much rather see the Fusion called Falcon too. It would be nice to be able to buy a brand new Falcon Sprint that has a 4.4L V8 and a standard shift trans..........

I just hate the name Fusion. It so hip-hop and American Idol-ish. Granted, the people the Fusion was meant to appeal to are most likely girls and metro's that watch American Idol and think hip-hop sounds great, but that ruins it for the rest of us, don't you think?

(Turns off the latest track from E-40) ... Wait, what?

I hate to pigeonhole you, but I believe you are not the intended buyer Ford was thinking of for the Fusion, from gauging the above remarks.

A small midsize sedan needs to go for not just Generation X but the moneyed upper Generation Y. All the other buyers are extra bonuses for this car, I believe.

But I agree with you that American Idol is garbage.

Edited by Roadrunner

Story was back in the 60's when Carol Shelby named his high performance Mustang GT-350 he said "If it's a good car the name won't matter and if it's a bad car the name won't save it." (or something like that) Pretty much sums it up.

At least Ford uses names that American's understand, what the hell is a Camry named after? And the Germans (BMW and Mercedes etc) use only numbers which requires no imagination or originality.

Well, since we are on this theme - what about FMX (Ford Motor Crossover) to pick up on the new Lincoln naming convention?

I think Ford needs to stick with the "F" naming for a while. Giving up this quick just looks like failure. Besides, the name means little, it's the product that matters. What the hell is a Sonata? Corolla? Azera? Altima? Who knows, but the cars are good.