SPIED: New MKZ

I like the fastback and extra window in the back, can't wait to see it uncovered. I'd like to see a mazda6 (old one) style hatch on a roof line like that for some more practicality and access to the trunk. Wonder how it would affect the looks though.

It's not entirely out of the question for the new Fusion, as the Mondeo currently has a similarly clever hatchback variant.

Probably not going to happen, but it could.

The pics are of 2 different vehicles. If you look at the rear you will see one pic has 2 exhaust pipes clearly. The other pic has a cutout on the drivers side and no exhaust evident. Rember these vehicles could be either an MKS or MKZ as they can use any body shells. These are test mule strictly to test mechanical components , powertrains, calibrations, cooling , hvac. Again they are camoed and driving on city streets to confuse the readers. I remember when the test mules for the Explorers were using Taurus X bodies. Dont read to much into what we all see.

The pics are of 2 different vehicles. If you look at the rear you will see one pic has 2 exhaust pipes clearly. The other pic has a cutout on the drivers side and no exhaust evident. Rember these vehicles could be either an MKS or MKZ as they can use any body shells. These are test mule strictly to test mechanical components , powertrains, calibrations, cooling , hvac. Again they are camoed and driving on city streets to confuse the readers. I remember when the test mules for the Explorers were using Taurus X bodies. Dont read to much into what we all see.

One of the MKZ prototypes is missing the Exhaust tips, you can see the cutouts in the bumpers where they belong. These are both MKZs.

I sort of agree because if you look at the Fusion prototypes you will notice the same exact greenhouse. Ford has promised 100% unique sheet metal and I would assume that means greenhouses as well. It is probably just a tester and things will be different when the actual vehicle is shown. I have had my doubts about Ford promises about very unique Lincolns however they know this time they have to get it right and make sure there is no resemblance (or very very little) to the Fusion. Of course the camo makes it difficult to actually see how different these cars are, but with the camo the roofline and hard points are very close to being the same.

2013_ford_fusion_spy_photo_101_cd_gallery.jpg

And now the Lincoln...

000-spy-shots-lincoln-mkz-628.jpg

Edited by 2005Explorer
  • Like 1

I remember when the test mules for the Explorers were using Taurus X bodies. Dont read to much into what we all see.

First it was the Flex mules. "OMG! It's going to look just like the Freestyle!"

Then it was the MkT mules. "OMG! It's going to look just like the Taurus-X"!

Then it was the Explorer mules. "OMG! It's going to look just like the Freestyle/Taurus-X!"

I suspect if Ford decided to resurrect the Freestyle, people would confuse the mule for a Fiesta.

First it was the Flex mules. "OMG! It's going to look just like the Freestyle!"

Then it was the MkT mules. "OMG! It's going to look just like the Taurus-X"!

Then it was the Explorer mules. "OMG! It's going to look just like the Freestyle/Taurus-X!"

I suspect if Ford decided to resurrect the Freestyle, people would confuse the mule for a Fiesta.

Exactly this appears to look more like a Fusion then what I think the final product will look like. Of course you can't really tell with the camo, but I expect the final product will look vastly different from the Fusion including the greenhouse and overall shape. There is no way Ford would promise 100% unique Lincolns and then come out with something that used any of the same body panels. That would be a huge PR nightmare.

I sort of agree because if you look at the Fusion prototypes you will notice the same exact greenhouse. Ford has promised 100% unique sheet metal and I would assume that means greenhouses as well. It is probably just a tester and things will be different when the actual vehicle is shown. I have had my doubts about Ford promises about very unique Lincolns however they know this time they have to get it right and make sure there is no resemblance (or very very little) to the Fusion. Of course the camo makes it difficult to actually see how different these cars are, but with the camo the roofline and hard points are very close to being the same.

2013_ford_fusion_spy_photo_101_cd_gallery.jpg

And now the Lincoln...

000-spy-shots-lincoln-mkz-628.jpg

It's safe to assume that the promise of unique sheet metal was misunderstood to mean unique "top hats". I am very surprised by the amount of shared metal and glass on these cars, not even the Taurus and MKS do this. Hopefully the design work that is covered is enough to substantially distinguish the cars, but we are not getting what we thought, these are still observably badge engineered vehicles.

Edited by BORG

One or the other cold be a tester for air flow/drive train of the other's front clip. Maybe.

These are being launched simultaneously, they are engineered and finalized simultaneously...that is not likely.

Considering the amount of shared design, it's very likely that these vehicles are no more differentiated than the current vehicles, which is to say they share door panels and the greenhouse.

Edited by BORG

These are being launched simultaneously, they are engineered and finalized simultaneously...that is not likely.

Well it is a possibility that much of the design was finalized before Ford decided to really revamp Lincoln so maybe the next. gen. Fusion and MKZ will share more body panels and overall design then Lincolns coming after the big promise will. I guess we will find out when the camo comes off.

Edited by 2005Explorer

That would be quite disappointing given all the press about unique Lincolns. I wonder if shared doors/greenhouse was set in stone before the new design team and emphasis on revitalizing Lincoln began?

How long does it take to design a new car? If longer then when Ford decided to kill off Mercury and put total emphasis into Lincoln then it is a possibility that these might have a more common design compared to Lincolns that come after the big change.

If a person was to judge only by the camoed cars then we would have a classic case of badge engineering, however things might appear vastly different once the camo comes off. When do these 2 cars make their appearance to the world?

Considering the amount of shared design, it's very likely that these vehicles are no more differentiated than the current vehicles, which is to say they share door panels and the greenhouse.

Do you not see the upper vehicle, Fusion, has a sloping door/window interface while the lower vehicle, MKZ, has a horizontal door/window interface? These two cars do not share the same doors panels/windows.

Geez, Eeyore, why don't you lighten up until these things are revealed. "Oh noes, Ford is just putting a Lincoln clip on a Fusion, based on what I can see through this camouflage. People who have seen it know less than me, because I have experience deducing what's underneath garbage bags and foam."

The design of the car is not a complete mystery through the camo, you can see large section of the cars, not to mention its overall architecture and glass work. I for one don't think it's a big deal beyond the paradox of producing luxury-grade design quality out of parts meant for lower margins.

I mean you can design a car on the same platform with completely different sheet metal, and they still look the same (GM and Toyota are particularly good at this). But the MKZ and Fusion never looked like they were the same car unless you payed close attention, same with the MKX and Edge (more so in 2007 than 2011).

Edited by BORG

Do you not see the upper vehicle, Fusion, has a sloping door/window interface while the lower vehicle, MKZ, has a horizontal door/window interface? These two cars do not share the same doors panels/windows.

I can't tell because there is camo in the way plus these are shot at a different angle. It is possible they will share the same top hat and have different doors. The top hat is the same, no doubt about that, however they could make a lot of other changes that will make the 2 cars look totally different once the camo comes off.

The back of the MKZ is sagging because it's probably weighted down for testing (notice it also has a trailer hitch), you can see the clearance is lower in the rear than the front.

I can't tell because there is camo in the way plus these are shot at a different angle. It is possible they will share the same top hat and have different doors. The top hat is the same, no doubt about that, however they could make a lot of other changes that will make the 2 cars look totally different once the camo comes off.

I have a library of spy photos on these cars and you can see that the Fusion features some lower door sculpting which is evident through the camo, and the MKZ does not. So the sheetmetal below the door glass is different.

Didn't notice that before Havelock, I think you're right on that.

Borg, look towards the front of the Fusion and then towards the back and compare height from rocket panel to lower end of glass, then do the same for the MKZ, seems pretty clear, I don't think it's the angels playing tricks on us.

I don't think it's the angels playing tricks on us.

No, but it could be the camo. :) The camo does appear to be different on the side of the Lincoln... How much glass compared to how much metal it is hiding is the real question. They might be quite different from the side. I just don't know.

I'm not sure... we won't really know until the camo comes off... Next spring?

Edited by 2005Explorer

While they may be true about vehicles sharing the same platform, I think they'd find it quite difficult to fit a MKS sized body on a MKZ sized chassis.

Isn't the next-gen Taurus and MKS supposed to go on a stretched CD4 platform?

Well I think they might do something rather different on the c-pillar area with the pillar itself and perhaps the glass too that will make the two vehicles look different even if they share the same roofline. I don't think the door panels will be the same.

Compare this to the current models - the roofline is the same, the doors are the same and the window glass shape is the same.

There is no way the Fusion and MKZ are sharing any sheet metal. Ford was very clear about that and since it's the one thing people constantly complain about I don't think they'd do that.

Look at the wheels on the Fusion prototype - those are most definitely Lincoln wheels. Maybe it's a Fusion front clip on a MKZ body or maybe the "Fusion" prototype is really a "Mondeo" prototype.

CAN'T WE JUST WAIT TIL THE FREAKIN' VEHICLES ARE SHOWN WITHOUT CAMO BEFORE WE START SLITTING OUR WRISTS?????