GT500 to get 5.8L

Power has never been the gt500 problem, getting the power to the ground is. The 1/4 mile times just aren't that impressive considering the trap speeds, and when comparing to cars with far less power. Is irs the answer? IDK.

IRS is the answer to life, of course!

Color me a bit confused....so what block is this 5.8L going to be based on? A tall deck 5.0L like the old 5.0L or is it going to be a destroked 6.2L?

Another thing....why in the world is the Mustang getting a one off engine ONLY used in it? Are we going to the see the 5.8L in other products?

As simple as a Big Bore 5.4?

Was it just last year that they started using the linerless, spraybore aluminum block? Without the liners, there might be some room to grow the bore. I'm no math wizz, how much larger bore would be needed to go from 5.4 to 5.8?

Remember, this is for Shelby and changing bore would mean far less changes to their set up...

I think your right...here is the verbiage from the agreement:

The 5.4L Supercharged engine gets upgraded to a 5.8L.

Kinda interesting that the 5.4L is going to outlive the 4.6L its based on :P

I think your right...here is the verbiage from the agreement:

Kinda interesting that the 5.4L is going to outlive the 4.6L its based on :P

6.2 might be tenuous considering the very solid V6 ecoboost sales in F150,

I think a lot of SDs would be going with the 6.7 diesel instead of the gas engine..

and Ford has kept the 6.8 V10 for larger trucks...

I'd assume that Ford wants to move away from the old style Modular architecture...

How much different is the bottom end of the 5.0L than the bottom end of the modular? They share basic physical dimensions, bore spacing, main cap design, etc. I'm sure the 5.8L is to the 5.4L what the 5.0L is to the 4.6L.

Power has never been the gt500 problem, getting the power to the ground is. The 1/4 mile times just aren't that impressive considering the trap speeds, and when comparing to cars with far less power. Is irs the answer? IDK.

the 2013 GT500 that was at the ring WAS tested with an IRS system.....

Hasn't there been rumblings of a lincoln products based on the next gen mustang? could put some serious punch into the lincoln brand.

One can hope, but only if the next gen Mustang's platform can perform on the levels of NVH and refinement that would be expected of a Lincoln.

You missed my post... verbiage from the UAW paperwork:

got it....so bore it is I presume, but I wonder, they are coaxing 800 hp out of the Supersnake, why go to this trouble when theres simpler alternatives?